Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

BBBF shirt question

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by GusW, Jul 8, 2011.

1. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

I tried on a BBBF OC shirt today. The fit was ideal. However, do they shrink much with normal washing and laundry, probably getting tossed in the dryer from time to time? If so how much shrinkage should I expect?

2. jerrybrowne

jerrybrowne Senior member

I love these shirts, but they do shrink in the dryer quite noticeably. I hang dry them now.

3. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

This reminds me that I have one of these lying around unworn as it's slightly too large; will try with a wash and dry and see how it goes.

4. Patek

Patek Senior member

I have a few of their shirts and the only one that has shrunk on me was the polo after about a year of wearing and washing.

5. jerrybrowne

jerrybrowne Senior member

Hmm. Maybe I was drying them too much. I gave away my first set of 4 OCBDs due to shrinkage. This was back in 2007 or 2008 though.

6. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Senior member

I have several of the BBSFOCBD's and have them laundered (no starch). I find the shrinkage to be negligible.

7. Doctor Damage

Doctor Damage Well-Known Member

I found in the past that the white BB oxfords shrink more than the coloured ones, although you shouldn't dry them much. I put them in the dryer for a few minutes just to spin out the worst of the water then hang them up damp and let nature do the rest.

Of course then they need to be ironed, but that's the idea anyway!

8. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

I have several of the BBSFOCBD's and have them laundered (no starch). I find the shrinkage to be negligible.

I am looking for feedback specificly on the Black Fleece ? Thom Browne designed shirts. It is my understanding that they are made from different cloth than the typical cotton BB line.

9. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

^^ hang dry. noticed some slight shrinkage in the shoulders on mine. not game-changing though.

10. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Senior member

Do you like the Black Fleece line better? I was wandering thru NM and the clearance rack was full of em...at end of clearance. I guess a lot of folks don't believe the hype.

11. utexas

utexas Well-Known Member

I have one Supima OCBD from the Black Fleece line. I dry it on low, and haven't noticed any shrinkage yet.

Do you like the Black Fleece line better? I was wandering thru NM and the clearance rack was full of em...at end of clearance. I guess a lot of folks don't believe the hype.

I'm with you on that. I don't think I'll be buying any more.

12. Patek

Patek Senior member

I like BBBF and I find them to be great casual shirts especially when on sale. I wish they were a little slimmer fitting, maybe I should keep them in the dryer longer...

13. huskyzealot

huskyzealot Senior member

My BBBF OCBDs have shrunk in same manner as my regular BB OCBDs.

In my experience all BB OC shirts (both regular and BF) tend to shrink more than shirts made of non-oxford material...but even then, they don't shrink by enough for me to size down.

14. HomerJ

HomerJ Senior member

Can't say I've noticed more or less shrinking compared to other shirts that are tumble dried.
    I wish I came across that. I like the BBBF line quite a bit. I guess they changed production a couple of years ago and the quality went down a little. I notice the BBBF retail is lower these days. Still, they fit me fairly well at a reasonable price.
    I like BBBF and I find them to be great casual shirts especially when on sale. I wish they were a little slimmer fitting, maybe I should keep them in the dryer longer...
    Slimmer? Damn. Thom Browne, not for BB, is similar but slimmer isn't it?

15. Patek

Patek Senior member

I have large shoulders and a slim waist. BB extra slim is still billowy on me as I wear 17 35. I do better buying shirts and putting in darts. That being said, BBBF fits me like my full-line Zegna which is to say, I love the shirts but the mid section could be slimmer.