1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

BBBF OCBD / MTM Dress Shirt Project Help

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gregaz, Oct 26, 2009.

1. gregaz

gregaz Senior member

I have been wanting to get a Brooks Brothers Black Fleece OCBD, but the fit does not work for me. So, I am working with one of the MTM establishments that gets a lot of airtime here to make essentially what would look and feel like a BBBF dress shirt, but would fit me well. The idea here is to have something that basically looks identical to a BBBF shirt.

I took extensive photos and measurements of a BB collar, pocket, and forwarded them and the other specs to the shirt maker. The only thing remaining, is to choose whether I want an unlined or soft unfused interlining for the collar and cuffs (getting barrel cuffs). I am allowing myself to take some liberties with the specs, and would like to get something that gives me that classic BB roll collar. Which should I go with? Any other suggestions or recommendations?

I will, of course, post pics once I get it.

2. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

NO LINING.

That's the only way to approach the original BB roll. By the way, why don't you use BB's MTM shirt program if what you want is a BBBF OCBD-like shirt?

3. oshinex

oshinex Senior member

Why not just buy the BBBF one and take it to a tailor?

4. gregaz

gregaz Senior member

NO LINING. That's the only way to approach the original BB roll. By the way, why don't you use BB's MTM shirt program if what you want is a BBBF OCBD-like shirt?
    Thank you. I thought about BB MTM, but prefer the price point of the company I am using more.
    Why not just buy the BBBF one and take it to a tailor?
    Because the tailor would have to grow about two inches of sleeve for me. [​IMG] Plus I need smaller shoulders and wider neck. In other words, not something that is tailorable.

5. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Senior member

Do not get any interlining for the collar or cuffs. Specify a bit of interlining, though, at the button anchor points for the collar.

If you have a choice of oxford cloth, pick the thinner, softer option. The BBBF Supima isn't horrifying, but it's still too substantial.

- B

6. gregaz

gregaz Senior member

Do not get any interlining for the collar or cuffs. Specify a bit of interlining, though, at the button anchor points for the collar.

If you have a choice of oxford cloth, pick the thinner, softer option. The BBBF Supima isn't horrifying, but it's still too substantial.

- B

Thank you, EXCELLENT advice on the collar anchor points!

7. gregaz

gregaz Senior member

For those interested - here is an update on this project. I contacted both MyTailor and Jantzen about executing the project. Joe from MyTailor promptly responded and was up for it, while Jantzen never responded. This was my first time working with MT. We emailed back and forth, selected the fabric and placed the order. The first shirts was a misfire, because they assumed that the measurements I provided were body measurements vs. shirt measurements. As a result, the shirt I received was totally off. MT took full responsibility, and agreed to make it right. Right around this time, Andre from MT was in town, so I took the opportunity to see him, and he suggested some minor tweaks of the shirt to make it better when I saw him. We then placed an order and four weeks later I received my new shirt. This time it was SPOT ON, and what you see below is the result after a few washes. My ironing skills leave a lot to be desired, but I will keep watching the video on PG's BROG to get better. I am very happy with what I received ... and I believe the point (which was to have a "BBBF shirt" that fits) was accomplished. Hope this is of interest to those in the same boat, who want a RTW garment, but can't find their size. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. geoffmartin17

geoffmartin17 Senior member

That looks really good. How much does it run?

9. cchen

cchen Senior member

the shirt looks great, but i really don't see the resemblance to BBBF (i own 5 and have sold numerous BBBF shirts)

10. teddieriley

teddieriley Senior member

Nice shirt! Fit looks great. But that's ironed?

Is a center box pleat a characteristic of a BBBF OCBD shirt? As MTM, you could have gone without.

11. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

I think it looks great and classic, although I prefer the shirring on the BBBF sleeve where it attaches to the cuff. good lord you have long arms though.

12. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

I prefer the shirring on the BBBF sleeve where it attaches to the cuff.

The say what now?

13. Eustace

Eustace Senior member

Looks great. One of the better examples on here. I don't know what the tailor sources in terms of buttons, but BBBF are quite a bit thinner and MOP, if you're going for exactitude.

14. Flieger

Flieger Senior member

That shirt could fit King Louie from Jungle book..
    Kidding.
    Looks good Gregaz, makes me want to start a project like this too.

15. Don Carlos

Don Carlos Senior member

Very cool. For reference purposes, what are the measurements on the collar? Do you know? Height, length of points, etc?

I've been inspired by your project and am thinking of ordering my next few MyTailor shirts online to your specifications. Duly noted re: the collar and cuff lining (or lack thereof), but curious to see if the actual collar measurements require any deviation from Hemrajani's house style. I've never ordered a button-down from MyTailor, so I don't know how close to the norm your collar is.

16. anon

anon Senior member

The say what now?
    shirring. BB bunches up the material to a compact set of "pleats" basically, which is quite different from this [​IMG]

17. gregaz

gregaz Senior member

That looks really good. How much does it run?
    $79
    the shirt looks great, but i really don't see the resemblance to BBBF (i own 5 and have sold numerous BBBF shirts)
    It makes sense in my mind ... but I guess the bottom line is that I wanted a slim fitting OCBD, which is what this is.
    Nice shirt! Fit looks great. But that's ironed? Is a center box pleat a characteristic of a BBBF OCBD shirt? As MTM, you could have gone without.
    [​IMG] Been watching this for some tips and inspiration. Believe it or not, I kind of like it ... it makes a slim shirt more comfortable when sitting down.
    I think it looks great and classic, although I prefer the shirring on the BBBF sleeve where it attaches to the cuff. good lord you have long arms though.
    I know dewd ... there is basically NO RTW shirt that has long enough sleeves for me. Michael Bastian is the only one, and his are too long.
    Looks great. One of the better examples on here. I don't know what the tailor sources in terms of buttons, but BBBF are quite a bit thinner and MOP, if you're going for exactitude.
    I think these are MOP, and are quite nice.
    That shirt could fit King Louie from Jungle book.. Kidding. Looks good Gregaz, makes me want to start a project like this too.
    [​IMG]
    Very cool. For reference purposes, what are the measurements on the collar? Do you know? Height, length of points, etc?
    I measured out a BB OCBD and asked MT to make an exact copy, without the lining, etc. Here are the specs for you.
    shirring. BB bunches up the material to a compact set of "pleats" basically, which is quite different from this
    Thanks ... I was confused about this as well. May ask for this on my next order.

18. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Senior member

Looks great.

I have to see the collar buttoned before I'm sure about the collar, though.

- B

19. gregaz

gregaz Senior member

Looks great. I have to see the collar buttoned before I'm sure about the collar, though. - B
    Fair point ... I will try to take a closeup this evening. Here is a distance shot. [​IMG] [​IMG]

20. lefty

lefty Senior member

shirring. BB bunches up the material to a compact set of "pleats" basically, which is quite different from this [​IMG]
    I happen to be wearing a BF shirt today. Shirring: [​IMG] lefty