• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BB vs. Alden

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know that Alden makes the Brooks Bros., cordovan loafers. Is there any differnce between the Alden brand cordovan penny loafer and that of BB? I mean if the BB is on sale for $50 cheaper, it's the same thing and makes better sense, right?

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know that Alden makes the Brooks Bros., cordovan loafers. Is there any differnce between the Alden brand cordovan penny loafer and that of BB?  I mean if the BB is on sale for $50 cheaper, it's the same thing and makes better sense, right?
there was a discussion of this previously

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No material difference based on what I've heard.

I do recall someone saying that Alden cuts the heel area leather (the heel counter area I think it's called) slightly differently for BB tassel loafers at BB's request, but that the difference is . . . hardly worth mentioning. Right now is a great time to buy shoes from BB.

Dan G

Reaction score
Does anyone know if Alden will resole shoes made for BB?

Thanks

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I do recall someone saying that Alden cuts the heel area leather (the heel counter area I think it's called) slightly differently for BB tassel loafers at BB's request, but that the difference is . . . hardly worth mentioning.
There is a difference in the BB version of the tassel loafer:
In the years that followed, the tassel loafer was introduced to upscale traditional clothing stores around the country. Then, in 1957, Brooks Brothers, at the height of its fame as the Ivy League emporium, approached Alden and expressed an interest to include the shoe in its collection. "Especially for them," Clark explains, "Alden produced a tassel loafer with a distinctive decorative foxing at the back part of the shoe, which remains exclusive to Brooks Brothers." The foxing is the raised stitching on either side of the heel cup. Regular Aldens have a plain heel cup with a strip of leather up the back seam.
Quoted from: http://www.cigaraficionado.com/Cigar....00.html Apart from the tassel loafer, I believe all BB versions are identical to Alden. Although there might be times when BB carries a certain style that Alden has at that time not in their main collection. (I remember seeing galoshes oxfords at BB but not at Alden). Yes, Alden repairs the shoes they have produced, regardless of the name they carry.

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(kabert @ 28 Dec. 2004, 2:57) I do recall someone saying that Alden cuts the heel area leather (the heel counter area I think it's called) slightly differently for BB tassel loafers at BB's request, but that the difference is . . . hardly worth mentioning.
There is a difference in the BB version of the tassel loafer:
In the years that followed, the tassel loafer was introduced to upscale traditional clothing stores around the country. Then, in 1957, Brooks Brothers, at the height of its fame as the Ivy League emporium, approached Alden and expressed an interest to include the shoe in its collection. "Especially for them," Clark explains, "Alden produced a tassel loafer with a distinctive decorative foxing at the back part of the shoe, which remains exclusive to Brooks Brothers." The foxing is the raised stitching on either side of the heel cup. Regular Aldens have a plain heel cup with a strip of leather up the back seam.
Quoted from: http://www.cigaraficionado.com/Cigar....00.html Apart from the tassel loafer, I believe all BB versions are identical to Alden. Although there might be times when BB carries a certain style that Alden has at that time not in their main collection. (I remember seeing galoshes oxfords at BB but not at Alden). Yes, Alden repairs the shoes they have produced, regardless of the name they carry.
I like the look of the BB tassles over the plain Alden version. It's that heal design that does it for me. Now you've piqued my interest and I want to search out that thread that discussed the differences.

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now you've piqued my interest and I want to search out that thread that discussed the differences.
I actually did search for it but couldn't find much addressing this exact question per se. My interest is merely the penny loafer, which is very basic, so there should not be a difference.

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(Horace @ 29 Dec. 2004, 02:51) Now you've piqued my interest and I want to search out that thread that discussed the differences.
I actually did search for it but couldn't find much addressing this exact question per se. My interest is merely the penny loafer, which is very basic, so there should not be a difference.
Ah, the penny not the tassle. My misreading then. Don't know if heel is diff on penny as it is on tassle.

STYLESTUDENT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Slightly off subject, there are two new Alden cordovan leisure penny loafers that are now available on EBay (style 986-the model Brooks sells). I'm told by one seller and by the various Alden store websites that the Van last for this model runs very large compared to the tassel loafer. I take a 9E in the tassel loafer but an 8.5E in the cordovan penny loafer. Just a caution if you're going to order these by mail (don't know about the Brooks sizing).

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
The Alden version has a leather lining. The BB version is unlined.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I would not recommend going sockless in such a shoe, but that's just me. I think the main difference is that BB shoe will be cooler and lighter. Cordovan is a dense, heavy leather. Its insulating properties are tremendous. Lack of a lining helps the shoes breath and keeps your feet cooler.

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would not recommend going sockless in such a shoe, but that's just me.  I think the main difference is that BB shoe will be cooler and lighter.  Cordovan is a dense, heavy leather.  Its insulating properties are tremendous.  Lack of a lining helps the shoes breath and keeps your feet cooler.
Thanks Manton. Very helpful advice. I live in South Florida and Puerto Rico, so it sounds like the BB is the way to go for me.

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK, now another question: I saw reference to a steep discount on BB now, in addition to the sale, someone mentioned another $50 off. I searched the forum high and low and can't seem to locate that post.

The BB penny loafers are currently $438, but does someone remember something about another $50 discount somewhere?
Thanks..

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads