1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

BB vs. Alden

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Stu, Dec 28, 2004.

1. Stu

Stu Senior member

I know that Alden makes the Brooks Bros., cordovan loafers. Is there any differnce between the Alden brand cordovan penny loafer and that of BB? I mean if the BB is on sale for $50 cheaper, it's the same thing and makes better sense, right?

2. Horace

Horace Senior member

there was a discussion of this previously

3. kabert

kabert Senior member

No material difference based on what I've heard.

I do recall someone saying that Alden cuts the heel area leather (the heel counter area I think it's called) slightly differently for BB tassel loafers at BB's request, but that the difference is . . . hardly worth mentioning. Right now is a great time to buy shoes from BB.

4. Dan G

Dan G Senior member

Does anyone know if Alden will resole shoes made for BB?

Thanks

5. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

There is a difference in the BB version of the tassel loafer:
    Quoted from: http://www.cigaraficionado.com/Cigar....00.html Apart from the tassel loafer, I believe all BB versions are identical to Alden. Although there might be times when BB carries a certain style that Alden has at that time not in their main collection. (I remember seeing galoshes oxfords at BB but not at Alden). Yes, Alden repairs the shoes they have produced, regardless of the name they carry.

6. Horace

Horace Senior member

(kabert @ 28 Dec. 2004, 2:57) I do recall someone saying that Alden cuts the heel area leather (the heel counter area I think it's called) slightly differently for BB tassel loafers at BB's request, but that the difference is . . . hardly worth mentioning.
    There is a difference in the BB version of the tassel loafer:
    Quoted from: http://www.cigaraficionado.com/Cigar....00.html Apart from the tassel loafer, I believe all BB versions are identical to Alden. Although there might be times when BB carries a certain style that Alden has at that time not in their main collection. (I remember seeing galoshes oxfords at BB but not at Alden). Yes, Alden repairs the shoes they have produced, regardless of the name they carry.
    I like the look of the BB tassles over the plain Alden version. It's that heal design that does it for me. Now you've piqued my interest and I want to search out that thread that discussed the differences.

7. Stu

Stu Senior member

I actually did search for it but couldn't find much addressing this exact question per se. My interest is merely the penny loafer, which is very basic, so there should not be a difference.

8. Horace

Horace Senior member

(Horace @ 29 Dec. 2004, 02:51) Now you've piqued my interest and I want to search out that thread that discussed the differences.
    I actually did search for it but couldn't find much addressing this exact question per se. My interest is merely the penny loafer, which is very basic, so there should not be a difference.
    Ah, the penny not the tassle. My misreading then. Don't know if heel is diff on penny as it is on tassle.

9. STYLESTUDENT

STYLESTUDENT Senior member

Slightly off subject, there are two new Alden cordovan leisure penny loafers that are now available on EBay (style 986-the model Brooks sells). I'm told by one seller and by the various Alden store websites that the Van last for this model runs very large compared to the tassel loafer. I take a 9E in the tassel loafer but an 8.5E in the cordovan penny loafer. Just a caution if you're going to order these by mail (don't know about the Brooks sizing).

10. mistahlee

mistahlee Senior member

11. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

The Alden version has a leather lining. The BB version is unlined.

12. Stu

Stu Senior member

What does that mean in practical terms? That the Alden is more comfortable to wear if you are going sockless?

13. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

I would not recommend going sockless in such a shoe, but that's just me. I think the main difference is that BB shoe will be cooler and lighter. Cordovan is a dense, heavy leather. Its insulating properties are tremendous. Lack of a lining helps the shoes breath and keeps your feet cooler.

14. Stu

Stu Senior member

Thanks Manton. Very helpful advice. I live in South Florida and Puerto Rico, so it sounds like the BB is the way to go for me.

15. Stu

Stu Senior member

OK, now another question: I saw reference to a steep discount on BB now, in addition to the sale, someone mentioned another $50 off. I searched the forum high and low and can't seem to locate that post.

The BB penny loafers are currently $438, but does someone remember something about another $50 discount somewhere?
    Thanks..

16. STYLESTUDENT

STYLESTUDENT Senior member

On a side note, after all the relentless "American Trad" propaganda about Alden cordovan here and on "Asky Andy", I finally broke down and bought my first Alden cordovan penny loafers since 1965. A cordial if dubious thanks to Superfly, Horace, Harris, et al. It's back to school for me. Incidentally, besides khakis (I don't like) and corduroy (which I do like) what trousers do y'all wear with these shoes (nowadays). What belt (other than grosgrain ribbon)?. Advice appreciated on this retro style adventure. Incidentally, Stu, I spoke to my family expert on cordovan matters (who does not post here) and he told me that, except for the lining, there were no differences at all between the Brooks and Alden versions. Sorry also, Stu, for what appears to be a partial hijack.

17. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

There was another 15% off, online only, on the 26th and 27th. That sale is now over.