BB Toronto Now Open! With Black Fleece!

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Jaredg, Aug 26, 2009.

1. Sean Archer

Sean Archer Senior member

They only let me try on sizing shirts not an actual shirt and one woman was convinced a regular shirt was Golden Fleece and has MOP buttons when it was clearly plastic buttons and didn't say Golden Fleece on the neck tag.

2. Franky In T.O.

Franky In T.O. Senior member

Glad to hear BB is in T.O. Word has it they plan to open a store on Bloor street eventually.

3. Wes Bourne

Wes Bourne Senior member

They only let me try on sizing shirts not an actual shirt and one woman was convinced a regular shirt was Golden Fleece and has MOP buttons when it was clearly plastic buttons and didn't say Golden Fleece on the neck tag.

Fuck 'em, that's just lazyness and trying to avoid possibly having to refold and pin shirts. In contrast, the SA at BB on Madison unpinned 3 shirts for me so I could try their fits while trying on the actual shirts I was looking to purchase.

4. Bill Smith

Bill Smith Senior member

Stopped by the new Brooks Brothers in Toronto, the first in Canada, this morning and was pleasantly surprised to see they had most of this season's Black Fleece suits, shirts etc.

All the other Brooks stuff is still there. The price point feels 20% higher than in the states, but its nice to know its there.

Staff seem new and not very familiar with the product but are eager to please.

You can thank the 20% price spread on a Federal tariff/duty on clothing, I am not happy about it either but c'est la vie.

I stopped by today briefly on the way to Union Station to catch the GO Train home. I love the selection, the staff is eager the please and their product knowledge will come with time.

5. Recoil

Recoil Senior member

At 20% higher that means BF is around $2400 bucks canadian, it will be interesting to see how it does at sale time.

I really do wonder if the BF crowed will make their way down to deserted Bay Street on Saturday to buy suits, rather than hanging around Yorkville for the day.

6. Bill Smith

Bill Smith Senior member

Good question, I thought Brooks Brothers would have their first location up in Yorkville. I think at this point they would be a "Destination" retailer. I would come in on the GO train from Oakville to shop on Saturday because I would have more time.

If Brooks Brothers down the road if they have success with their retail beach-head and expand to say Bloor-Yorkville, Yorkdale and Sherway Gardens then you will see a dropoff in weekend traffic but they have not been open on a weekend yet so give it time.

7. fwiffo

fwiffo Senior member

I know you guys in toronto think you are canada, but I am pretty sure the one in Vancouver was the first BB in Canada.

I thought Vancouver didn't carry Black Fleece.

I went by the first day and shamelessly I haven't been in the store yet. I'm tapped out completely so I didn't venture in.

But they would have to open Saturday to compete with Harry's in First Canadian Place, which is also open Saturday. Heck, even Robert Jones opens Saturday outside of the summer.

So psyched I didn't fly 5 hours to see Brooks Brothers in Vancouver.

8. literasyme

literasyme Senior member

You can thank the 20% price spread on a Federal tariff/duty on clothing, I am not happy about it either but c'est la vie.

Even for Made in US stuff?

9. Recoil

Recoil Senior member

I went in and purchased something small.

The prices on the BF weren't as bad as I thought. $190 for shirts, ties and polos. $1800 for regular suits. $2500 for some other higher end suits. The Fitzgerald suits were about $1300.

I think at 30-40% off sale time the BF suits might not be a bad deal, if I can get over wearing a jacket that short.

10. phildo

phildo Senior member

Glad to hear BB is in T.O. Word has it they plan to open a store on Bloor street eventually.

I read that this fell through because of the economy. Maybe in the distant future?

11. Viktri

Viktri Senior member

I went by the first day and shamelessly I haven't been in the store yet. I'm tapped out completely so I didn't venture in.

But they would have to open Saturday to compete with Harry's in First Canadian Place, which is also open Saturday. Heck, even Robert Jones opens Saturday outside of the summer.

So psyched I didn't fly 5 hours to see Brooks Brothers in Vancouver.

Vancouver will carry Black fleece next week according to the salespeople.

12. furo

furo Senior member

But you have a new BF suit to show off! [​IMG]

13. Odd I/O

Odd I/O Senior member

So, when are their sales? [​IMG]

14. Mild Mannered

Mild Mannered Senior member

Well I hope this all works out for BB. I'll have to visit the shoes sometime this week.

15. fkl118

fkl118 Senior member

I wonder if they accept the BB corporate discount card?