• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BB Suiting Essentials Experiences

minnesotamoon

Reaction score
So currently BB has 2 for $799 essentials special going on. I went in today to check things out; they're the regent cut and you can choose out of 10 or so different patterns. I can request pick stitching, flat fronts, etc. I asked the lady about canvassing and she said they were half, can anyone confirm this?

I'm at the point where I need some workhorse suits and in trying them on they look good, fit my body, etc. Is the quality OK?

This is coinciding with me also getting a MTM from a local guy who is very reputable but unfortunately I am not able to buy everything from him and in turn am looking to this special to get me by for the next couple years to fill the conservative banker suit void that my closet has.

I'm trying to build my wardrobe but would appreciate anyone's opinions/experiences/thoughts on the suiting essentials line from BB. Thanks in advance!

Mr T

Reaction score
No experience with the Suiting Essentials but if you list some details you are looking for we might be able to give you more options at your price point.

kingyouth

Reaction score
Originally Posted by minnesotamoon
So currently BB has 2 for $799 essentials special going on. I went in today to check things out; they're the regent cut and you can choose out of 10 or so different patterns. I can request pick stitching, flat fronts, etc. I asked the lady about canvassing and she said they were half, can anyone confirm this?

I'm at the point where I need some workhorse suits and in trying them on they look good, fit my body, etc. Is the quality OK?

This is coinciding with me also getting a MTM from a local guy who is very reputable but unfortunately I am not able to buy everything from him and in turn am looking to this special to get me by for the next couple years to fill the conservative banker suit void that my closet has.

I'm trying to build my wardrobe but would appreciate anyone's opinions/experiences/thoughts on the suiting essentials line from BB. Thanks in advance!

It is a half canvas construction. The fabric is Super 120s with 2% stretch. I don't know how I feel about the 2% stretch, though.

minnesotamoon

Reaction score
Mr T - To answer you question what I'm looking for is a somewhat workhorse suit that is fitting for a longer time period. I don't want the Hugo Boss or the Armani fit, just something that works on a day to day basis. I work as a Mortgage Banker (yes go ahead and flame me, but I am one of the ethical ones and still in the business). So hence I'm looking at the BB sale right now. It seems like a fairly good deal to me but I would love some others advice if I am completely going the wrong way. ......

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You should do it, get the full service from Brooks -- everything tailored to fit -- then report back to us in six months and tell us how they have worn.

Forum needs fewer followers and more pioneers -- here is your chance

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have generally had good experience with Brooks Brothers from their least expensive suits, back when I was just starting out, to Golden Fleece and 1818 lines more recently. They have all held up well, and if something does go wrong, they stand by it 100%.

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For your purposes, they are the best value in that price range that is readily available in your size in a range of colors with your preferences (flat front pants). The Regent fit is flattering, and Brooks will tailor everything for you. I'd say go for it. They are indeed half canvass.

trailer36

Reaction score
I myself took advantage of Xmas sale (Suiting Essentials for $500, damn you current sale!) and got one suit made to see how I feel about it. I am actually wearing that suit today and am very happy with the quality. Some adjustments had to be made when I recieved the suit from Brooks and they were more than willing to do them for me at no charge. I ordered in OH and live in PA so I had to pay for the alterations but no big deal. Just some minor waist suppression and trouser shortening.

I opted for the pick stitching and double vent with flat-front trousers. The pattern I chose was the navy herringbone and couldnt be happier with the fabric. I know some are wool purists and dont like the stretch component but in my opinion it doesnt cheapen the fabric one bit. In fact, I would say someone would be hard pressed to tell the difference between this fabric and 100% wool without looking at the tag. The only thing I would like to change about the is the lapel width. I am a bigger fan of wider lapels (3.5 - 4") and I believe the Regent gives you a 3-3.25" lapel width.

Once I get back from my ventures today, I will try to post pics tonight. In my opinion, at this price point the Brooks Suting essential is a wonderful value for the money considering the MTM aspect with free alterations so you can get the fit exactly as you like it. They even told me they would do trouser slimming if I needed it.

minnesotamoon

Reaction score
Thank you everyone for your replies. I am going to be moving forward with everything this week. It seems like a good deal, especially with the ability to customize things a bit. I had no idea that you can request the double vents which I will do. They said for the pick stitching request it would be about 4 weeks to receive the suit which is fine. The sales person stated that the only tailoring included with the suit will be the pant bottoms and the arm length, any waist suppression would be extra so I will have to check into that further. I will definitely follow up with pictures for everyone as I receive the suits.

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by minnesotamoon
Thank you everyone for your replies. I am going to be moving forward with everything this week. It seems like a good deal, especially with the ability to customize things a bit. I had no idea that you can request the double vents which I will do. They said for the pick stitching request it would be about 4 weeks to receive the suit which is fine. The sales person stated that the only tailoring included with the suit will be the pant bottoms and the arm length, any waist suppression would be extra so I will have to check into that further. I will definitely follow up with pictures for everyone as I receive the suits.

Wait, this is a MTM program? I thought they were just available OTR.

minnesotamoon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by polar-lemon
Wait, this is a MTM program? I thought they were just available OTR.

It's OTR for sizes but you have the ability to tweak a couple things.

southbound35

Reaction score
I'm also not clear on the details (not much info on the BB site, either). Are these special order suits (OTR sizing, not MTM) but with the option of picking details (e.g., pick stitching, 2 vents, etc)?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads