• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BB slim fit vs. European slim fit shirts?

Cayne-Abel

Reaction score
I went into Brooks Brothers today and tried on a slim-fit 15 / 33. It was one of the better RTW shirts I've tried on, although it could definitely be slimmer at the waist and possibly chest. The neck was pretty good, just a touch on the roomy side (but I kinda prefer that). The salesman said there would be no further shrinking.

I thought about buying a slim-fit European shirt of the same size in B&S. If I stick to the 15-inch neck and 33-inch sleeves, would I get a fit similar to that of the BB shirt I tried on? Or are slim-fit European shirts cut so slim that I should get a regular-fit or possibly go one size higher?

BeaconHillBoston

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cayne-Abel
I went into Brooks Brothers today and tried on a slim-fit 15 / 33. It was one of the better RTW shirts I've tried on, although it could definitely be slimmer at the waist and possibly chest. The neck was pretty good, just a touch on the roomy side (but I kinda prefer that). The salesman said there would be no further shrinking.

I thought about buying a slim-fit European shirt of the same size in B&S. If I stick to the 15-inch neck and 33-inch sleeves, would I get a fit similar to that of the BB shirt I tried on? Or are slim-fit European shirts cut so slim that I should get a regular-fit or possibly go one size higher?

Might want to check out the guide to slim fit shirts thread above. Your question has been answered about 400 times in the tail end of that thread.
teacha.gif

Cayne-Abel

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BeaconHillBoston
Might want to check out the guide to slim fit shirts thread above. Your question has been answered about 400 times in the tail end of that thread.
teacha.gif

I browsed through it for a bit, and didn't see anything that specifically addressed my question, but I'll look/search again. Meantime, if anyone would be so good as to address my OP, I'd appreciate it.

ChicagoMediaMan

Reaction score
If you like the BB slim fit but want something slimmer, try the BB extra slim-fit. Their regular slim-fits are still very, very big.

As far as "European" slim fit shirts, it is really going to vary by brand. They aren't all going to fit the same. This is where knowing your measurements comes into play.

Cayne-Abel

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChicagoMediaMan-27
If you like the BB slim fit but want something slimmer, try the BB extra slim-fit. Their regular slim-fits are still very, very big. As far as "European" slim fit shirts, it is really going to vary by brand. They aren't all going to fit the same. This is where knowing your measurements comes into play.
The BB extra-slim is absurdly slim at the shoulders and chest (though the waist is nice), even when I go a size up. As the salesman told me, "anyone who's ever done a single push-up in their life probably can't fit into these extra-slims properly." Also, getting a slimmer fit is not the only reason I'm looking for something besides BB. Brooks Brothers seems way over-priced considering its quality (or lack thereof). Those paper-thin buttons alone are a turn-off. Not worth $80.

ChicagoMediaMan

Reaction score
The BB extra-slim is absurdly slim at the shoulders and chest (though the waist is nice), even when I go a size up. As the salesman told me, "anyone who's ever done a single push-up in their life probably can't fit into these extra-slims properly."

Also, getting a slimmer fit is not the only reason I'm looking for something besides BB. Brooks Brothers seems way over-priced considering its quality (or lack thereof). Those paper-thin buttons alone are a turn-off. Not worth $80.

It's funny...while I have no experience with BBESF, I've heard from others on SF about how great they fit in the shoulders and chest, but how there is still too much fabric at the waist. It all depends on the size of the person, I guess.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Phineas Cole shirts are like spandex tight. I couldn't believe it. I tried on a 15 neck 34.5" sleeve and it was plastered to my body.

hookem12387

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The BB extra-slim is absurdly slim at the shoulders and chest (though the waist is nice), even when I go a size up. As the salesman told me, "anyone who's ever done a single push-up in their life probably can't fit into these extra-slims properly." Also, getting a slimmer fit is not the only reason I'm looking for something besides BB. Brooks Brothers seems way over-priced considering its quality (or lack thereof). Those paper-thin buttons alone are a turn-off. Not worth $80.
Brooks' collar roll is still hard to beat. Also, the price gets much more agreeable during the 3/$150 sales. I believe the next one is in October, but I could be wrong. I do completely agree on the ESF fit regarding athletic types. It's just not going to happen. They didn't work well for me before I was really working out in earnest and now they'd be a joke. I do find the standard slim fit working better now, though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics