BB Saxxon Wool

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Harrydog, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Harrydog

Harrydog Senior member

Hey,

What's the take on the Saxxon wool? Neat background film at BB on the story behind the Saxxon story. Shhep introduced into Spain by the Moors. The breed was refined by the Spanish monarchy by the 16th century. Some animals were sent as gifts to Habsburgs in Austria and ended up developing into a line of sheep in Saxony, hence the "Saxxon" label. The Spanish line basically died out when Napoleon invaded Spain and had most of them killed for food for his army.

The Saxxon line similarly met its demise during the 1920's when depression era Germany cross bred them to increase meat rpoduction.

Fortunately, in the mid 19th century, a Scotswomen toured Saxony, buying up a number of animals and shipping them to Tasmania and ultimately to Australia where 30-35 famimly firms continue to keep the pure breed Saxon sheep going.

Neat story. But how is the fabric?

Here is the video.

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...=&sectionsize=

2. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

I bought an 1818 chalk stripe made with the Saxxon wool. The fabric was nice. Nicer than the LP fabric I have on another 1818 suit. Unfortunately, the wool was really heavy. I would have a hard time calling that suit a 3 season suit. I sent it back because I don't need suits that get wear half the year. If I still worked in San Francisco, it might have been a year round suit (definitely 3 season).

I'm not sure if the weight of this suit was specific to it's construction, or if BB uses heavy Saxxon wool. Try to find out and report back.

3. Harrydog

Harrydog Senior member

I bought an 1818 chalk stripe made with the Saxxon wool. The fabric was nice. Nicer than the LP fabric I have on another 1818 suit. Unfortunately, the wool was really heavy. I would have a hard time calling that suit a 3 season suit. I sent it back because I don't need suits that get wear half the year. If I still worked in San Francisco, it might have been a year round suit (definitely 3 season).

I'm not sure if the weight of this suit was specific to it's construction, or if BB uses heavy Saxxon wool. Try to find out and report back.

The Saxxon I am looking it is lighter weight I believe. I'll report back after my trip into NYC tomorrow.

4. Sonny58

Sonny58 Senior member

I bought a Saxxon suit a few months ago and the wool is heavier than I thought; but it is very nice.

5. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

I have a couple of the heavy gauge, thick Saxxon wool sweater.

Don't see or feel what's so special about them compared to the regular merino.

6. Harrydog

Harrydog Senior member

I picked up a Fitzgerald in Charcoal Herringbone. Definitely a fall-winter-early spring weight.

The fabric had a very nice hand and drape...and I like the story[​IMG]

7. CYstyle

CYstyle Senior member

Saxxon wool runs on average 17-18 microns, nice hand. BB uyses different weights on their saxxon, the tan colored seasonal suit is definately lighter ~8.5oz, but the fabric used for the "basics" ie charcoal and navy herringbone is heavier. I think those are usually about 10.5 oz.

I'm a fan of it. It's a nice wool, and prices usually pretty decent.

8. Anglo1

Anglo1 New Member

First of all, it may come as a shock, but Tasmania is a State of Australia not a country in its own right. I have a Madison double breasted SAXXON Suit and I love it. Feels grat to the touch, drapes nicely after a few tucks by my tailor but I would suggest it is a cooler day suit. I also have a regent fit 2 button on order which I understand is a touch lighter..

9. XKxRome0ox

XKxRome0ox Senior member

[​IMG]
    i have 1 BB suit and it happens to be a fitz glen plaid in saxxon wool
    love the feel (i guess it's called the "hand"?) of the fabric
    but if it wasn't labeled as "saxxon wool" i don't think i would ever know the difference

i don't think this suit is any heavier than my other suits

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  10. Wolfador

Wolfador Senior member

I have a suit, sc and a sweater in Saxxon. I think it is a nice wool and I like the story behind it.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  11. connor09

connor09 Senior member

that's a really good looking suit, hope it feels just as well.

12. thinman

thinman Senior member

I have a Saxxon wool sweater. In terms of both softness and durability, I would rank it somewhere between cashmere and merino wool. I like the sweater a lot.