• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BB Peal double monk wing tip: opinion/information

DrZRM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been covered, I didn't find anything using a basic search.
427H_Black_enlarged.jpg
I'm interested in this shoe, and it does not hurt that I can use American Express points to pay for them with a BB gift card, so free shoes, yea. Are these Peals made by C&J or Sargent (or neither). What's the response to them? Too busy? I must say, I like them.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't like it. All that unnecessary broquing distracts from the simple beauty of the double monk strap. Also, black is just bleh.

And frankly I just don't get this obsession with whether the BB/Peal shoes are made by C&J or Sargent. It ain't handgrade C&J anyway so who cares?

nmprisons

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
I don't like it. All that unnecessary broquing distracts from the simple beauty of the double monk strap.

+1
I generally don't think monkstraps should have anything going on besides the strap. Perhaps a broqued cap or medallion if you insist.

adambparker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
And frankly I just don't get this obsession with whether the BB/Peal shoes are made by C&J or Sargent. It ain't handgrade C&J anyway so who cares?
QFT. Seriously. Examine the shoe, decide if you like the last shape and styling, decide if the observable elements of construction and the finishing meet your quality standards. Done. The whole point of their being produced for Brooks under the Peal brand is that they are produced to Brooks' standards.

DrZRM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So it really doesn't matter to you if a shoe is made by Alden, Sargent, C&J, etc., as long as it looks good? It seems like people spend a great deal of time talking about the makers and attributing differing quality to different makers.

Of course I'll go to a BB to try them on first before Dec. 26th, but I appreciate others' opinions. (thanks Lee_44106 and nmprisons). I think this is a good looking shoe, but I also like the simplicity of the C&J Lowndes. As for a black shoe, I've bought so many brown shoes lately, the only black ones I have that get much wear are some Alden longwings, and some AE Tauntons with rubber soles I wear in the rain. I feel like a black double monk is a good shoe to fill a hole. That said, I probably don't need this and the Lowndes.

adambparker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DrZRM
So it really doesn't matter to you if a shoe is made by Alden, Sargent, C&J, etc., as long as it looks good? It seems like people spend a great deal of time talking about the makers and attributing differing quality to different makers.

Of course I'll go to a BB to try them on first before Dec. 26th, but I appreciate others' opinions. (thanks Lee_44106 and nmprisons). I think this is a good looking shoe, but I also like the simplicity of the C&J Lowndes. As for a black shoe, I've bought so many brown shoes lately, the only black ones I have that get much wear are some Alden longwings, and some AE Tauntons with rubber soles I wear in the rain. I feel like a black double monk is a good shoe to fill a hole. That said, I probably don't need this and the Lowndes.

Sorry if that came off as a snarky response to your OP. Didn't mean to sound like I was knocking you -- just a general observation about the obsession that goes on around here about C&J vs. AS Peals.

To respond to your OP, I agree that the broguing and the monkstrap conflict and that you'd be better off with the Lowndes, e.g.

To respond to your point above, I do think that the maker matters, but it matters more when you are buying shoes they produce under their own brand, which will have certain characteristic features, in many cases, and much less when you are buying shoes they produce for another brand. Both AS and C&J produce lines of varying quality, and in my experience the Peal-branded shoes are of roughly similar quality in construction and finishing whether they are AS or C&J.

DrZRM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fair enough, thanks. And no worries, if we can't comfortably be snarky on the internet, where can we be? Seems like half the fun. Now if only American Express rewards sold Crockett & Jones gift cards...or better yet pediwear.com, ahh to dream. I know what to ask Santa for.
Originally Posted by adambparker
Sorry if that came off as a snarky response to your OP. Didn't mean to sound like I was knocking you -- just a general observation about the obsession that goes on around here about C&J vs. AS Peals. To respond to your OP, I agree that the broguing and the monkstrap conflict and that you'd be better off with the Lowndes, e.g. To respond to your point above, I do think that the maker matters, but it matters more when you are buying shoes they produce under their own brand, which will have certain characteristic features, in many cases, and much less when you are buying shoes they produce for another brand. Both AS and C&J produce lines of varying quality, and in my experience the Peal-branded shoes are of roughly similar quality in construction and finishing whether they are AS or C&J.

rssmsvc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
CJ and really nice, you can email a pic and ask them they almost always respond in under a day.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's an interesting shoe, and I'm fast coming to the conclusion that whilst I'm not keen on single monks, doubles are another matter. I can't decide whether the broguing is over the top or whether it makes up for the lack of colour - if they were brown it would definitely be over the top, but in black...

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought they looked like something Sargent would make.

But I have to echo a previous statement, the Peals by AS and CJ are almost identical in quality. Depending on your luck you might get a better-made Sargent. Also the Crocketts are the only ones using that horrible cavalry calf, they should be docked points for that.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DrZRM
Sorry if this has been covered, I didn't find anything using a basic search.

I'm interested in this shoe, and it does not hurt that I can use American Express points to pay for them with a BB gift card, so free shoes, yea. Are these Peals made by C&J or Sargent (or neither).

What's the response to them? Too busy? I must say, I like them.

Get the single strap version, and not the double strap version.

Or get a double strap plaintoe/captoe if you can find one. But double strap + wing-tip detailing is not a good look.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah I love wingtips and I love monkstraps, but I hate wingtip monkstraps.

Percy Trimmer

Reaction score
I had a pair of an earlier season's version of these which were definitely Sargent and these don't look much different. I was disappointed with the quality and sold them on. I like the style though.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Too much going on in my opinion.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads