• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BB Oxfords Still Your Go To?

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey,

Curious where folks are buying the basic button downs / oxfords these days. When I first joined the forum, Brooks Brothers was popular. I've noticed they no longer use as nice buttons and the non-irons are made with a much lighter fabric. I usually spend $50-$60 on an oxford shirt. What are your suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your help!

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
some options:

kamakura
proper cloth
ratio
michael spencer
mercer and sons if you can get them to fit
oconnells
j press
lands end if you're on a budget

imo brooks is still good too

RogerC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Drakes factory store has them often and will take inquiries and orders over email.

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
some options:

kamakura
proper cloth
ratio
michael spencer
mercer and sons if you can get them to fit
oconnells
j press
lands end if you're on a budget

imo brooks is still good too
Thanks, these are mostly $125+ per shirt. Do they ever runs sales? If trying to spend $50-$60 on a shirt is Polo or Brooks best option?

ahtynes

Reaction score
Spier & Mackay gets you a bit above your price point for MTM, but options for MoP buttons / crow's foot sewing. Not sure what the stock is like on RTW.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
I live in France so not as many options i guess... for me it is :
Gitman Vintage
PRL
Gant
Budget ? Uniqlo OCBD, you will get two for $60, they used to be great value, the quality is still decent...
Also got a couple of Muji, better quality and detailing than on the Uniqlos (box pleat, side gussets), the price must be around $50.

Last edited:

Jaggery

Reaction score
If you're OK with "must iron" (non non-iron) shirts, Brooks has a line of oxford cloth button downs that are made in North Carolina, priced at $140 full retail, and obtainable for substantially less. They have some distinguishing features like unfused collars and mother-of-pearl buttons. These shirts, which don't seem to get much shelf space in stores, are sold online as "Original Polo" shirts. (Note: BBs' basic non-iron button downs also have this language on the tags, so be careful if you're evaluating shirts by the tags.)

While I don't have enough experience to compare all the alternatives mentioned here, the Brooks non non-iron look like a competitive option when they go 40-50% off during major sales. Under $70 new, let me know where you found them :fistbump: Depending on where you live, if you're looking for something you can try on in a store, you might check out Lands' End, L.L. Bean, and/or J. Crew.

Last edited:

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SF member Steve Smith (https://www.styleforum.net/members/steve-smith.21975/) always has a lot of Brooks Brothers (and some J Press) shirts for sale - here and at eBay. I suggest that you send him a message with what you are looking for.

That's a hell of a good idea, Mike. ;)

In response to the OP: In 2010 Brooks Brothers was using plastic buttons on their made in USA OCBDs. Now they use mother of pearl buttons, so buttons have gone up in quality, not down.

norMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I second Spier and Mackay. They ship to europe. I you wish to shop inside the EU the normal UK suspects such as TM Lewin, CT and Thomas Pink all have OCBS and the two first with good discounts if you buy 4 shirts.

Berg and berg also makes some nice looking shirts, but they are more expensive. SF Affiliate cavour also makes OCBDs and offer a 25 % pre-christmas discount.

If you have a shirt you like you could always do MTM/MTO through proper cloth, ratio, shirtonomy or luxire.

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's a hell of a good idea, Mike. ;)

In response to the OP: In 2010 Brooks Brothers was using plastic buttons on their made in USA OCBDs. Now they use mother of pearl buttons, so buttons have gone up in quality, not down.
I was referring to the shirts that are typically at regular price under $100. Maybe I just bought them so long ago that I forgot. But these shirts had nicer buttons, as my older ones have mother-of-pearl buttons. When I bought some shirts from them recently around $100, they have the cheap thin plastic buttons. What are your thoughts?

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're OK with "must iron" (non non-iron) shirts, Brooks has a line of oxford cloth button downs that are made in North Carolina, priced at $140 full retail, and obtainable for substantially less. They have some distinguishing features like unfused collars and mother-of-pearl buttons. These shirts, which don't seem to get much shelf space in stores, are sold online as "Original Polo" shirts. (Note: BBs' basic non-iron button downs also have this language on the tags, so be careful if you're evaluating shirts by the tags.)

While I don't have enough experience to compare all the alternatives mentioned here, the Brooks non non-iron look like a competitive option when they go 40-50% off during major sales. Under $70 new, let me know where you found them :fistbump: Depending on where you live, if you're looking for something you can try on in a store, you might check out Lands' End, L.L. Bean, and/or J. Crew.
I agree with you on Brooks. But I haven't seen the 4 shirts for $200 in a while. You can also stack some of the nicer ones. The trick I've noticed, is that the shirts that are $120 have better buttons than the ones for $90. The sale is usually 4 for $200 regardless which ones you choose. I thought they normally run that around this time of the year. Did I miss that sale?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads