• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BB MTM OCBD Tips for Success?

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Taking the plunge for some MTM Brooks oxfords- for those of you with experience with the process, any tips for success? I already know to specify a very light interlining for the cuffs and collar. Anything else I should request to ensure a nice rolling collar a la my BF shirts?

As for fit, I'm confident I can communicate what I want. It also helps that I don't like skin tight shirts.

I've read the famous
foo.gif
thread and any others that I could find, including the recent discussion with carls helpful
comments.

Additional tips appreciated.

Mark Seitelman

Reaction score
If you are ordering at 346 Madison, order through Tom Davis. He is a gentleman and master of MTM shirts. All the guidance that you need will be from him.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Ask for no interlining.

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Ask for no interlining.

They told me this couldn't be done- choices were either fused, or "soft," which has a lining. I'll push harder on that front.

Thanks for the replies.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by polar-lemon
They told me this couldn't be done- choices were either fused, or "soft," which has a lining. I'll push harder on that front. Thanks for the replies.
What store did you go to? Talk to Tom Davis at 346 Madison. It can certainly be done.

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
What store did you go to? Talk to Tom Davis at 346 Madison. It can certainly be done.

The Washington DC location, which sells the second-most mtm shirts, as I understand it. I'll bring it up again and mention that 346 does it.

Do you find that your unlined collars flop over in the back when worn tie-less? Or is the cloth really hefty enough to maintain some body?

I assume that the band must be lined even if the collar is not.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Washington DC location, which sells the second-most mtm shirts, as I understand it. I'll bring it up again and mention that 346 does it.

Do you find that your unlined collars flop over in the back when worn tie-less? Or is the cloth really hefty enough to maintain some body?

I assume that the band must be lined even if the collar is not.

If you are using oxford cotton then it is not going to be a problem, if you are using other fabrics then you might go with soft interlining.
Do RTW BB OCBDs have no interlining? I don't feel any interlining on the Black Fleece OCBDs.

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by forex
If you are using oxford cotton then it is not going to be a problem, if you are using other fabrics then you might go with soft interlining.
Do RTW BB OCBDs have no interlining? I don't feel any interlining on the Black Fleece OCBDs.

Wearing one right now and it definitely has a lining. Try the pinch test you would do on a jacket- there's definitely a third layer inside.

I've read that too, but I guess I'm just wondering how the unlined collar will behave as compared to a softly lined one, like on the BF shirt.
I'm pretty sure all the RTW OCBDs made in the USA are unfused and lined.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just looked at one of the shirts,they do indeed have lining. I can't say how they would behave if they didn't have any lining. My guess is that OCBDs will be fine, other thinner fabrics would just get rumpled and look ugly. Even with very soft lining OCBDs make a nice roll, why do you care for unlined collar?

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by forex
Even with very soft lining OCBDs make a nice roll, why do you care for unlined collar?
I never understood the amount of love for unlined collars. I use a tailor for my dress shirts, but I use BB MTM for my OCBDs. I order them with a soft lining, and they look perfectly nice to me. I seem to achieve a good roll. I just snapped this pic: The lining provides a little more stability and substance, and it makes maintenance a bit easier.
The Washington DC location, which sells the second-most mtm shirts, as I understand it.
I hate that place. I literally was just there less than an hour ago, and I received the same awful service I always get there. I never have that problem at any other BB. Just that Conn. Ave. location.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zbromer
I hate that place. I literally was just there less than an hour ago, and I received the same awful service I always get there. I never have that problem at any other BB. Just that Conn. Ave. location.

It can't be worse than the Chicago locations.

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zbromer
I never understood the amount of love for unlined collars. I use a tailor for my dress shirts, but I use BB MTM for my OCBDs. I order them with a soft lining, and they look perfectly nice to me. I seem to achieve a good roll. I just snapped this pic:

The lining provides a little more stability and substance, and it makes maintenance a bit easier.

Yeah my core question is- if soft linings allow for a good roll, why should I go for none?

Do you get your mtm shirts through that store? If so, any issues? Or is the service deficiency unrelated to the mtm process? I for one hate one particular SA at the chevy chase branch, but have not had bad experienced at Conn. Ave.

Your roll looks great- like my BF actually

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you get your mtm shirts through that store? If so, any issues? Or is the service deficiency unrelated to the mtm process? I for one hate one particular SA at the chevy chase branch, but have not had bad experienced at Conn. Ave.

I've found the service there generally deficient, but it's particular bad with the sales associate Joe, who is a 40-something year-old, portly black man. He has a rather gruff demeanor that I find off-putting. The several times I've placed (or attempted to place) MTM orders at that store I've been frustrated by the process, but perhaps I've just had some bad luck.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well the Atlanta store sucks too, I always get terrible service there, in fact, I don't even go there anymore.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads