• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BB Made to Measure

utexas

Reaction score
I would normally buy off the rack, but BB doesn't seem to keep many suits in my size. And if there are any, they're usually in a cut that's too large for my frame (Madison, Regent). I was told by a sales associate that I could use their MTM program and choose the fabrics I want in the cut I prefer (Milano). Does anybody have any experience doing this?

The BB website leaves me with more questions than answers. Apparently the MTM clothing comes in "two levels of make," Golden Fleece and 1818. What's the difference? (I thought the 1818 line was essentially all factory-made.)

Also, what could I expect to pay? Ideally, I'd really just like a navy herringbone in Saxxon wool, Milano cut. Nothing too fancy, I think. Any insight would be much appreciated. Thanks!

cmacey

Reaction score
Originally Posted by utexas
I would normally buy off the rack, but BB doesn't seem to keep many suits in my size. And if there are any, they're usually in a cut that's too large for my frame (Madison, Regent). I was told by a sales associate that I could use their MTM program and choose the fabrics I want in the cut I prefer (Milano). Does anybody have any experience doing this?

The BB website leaves me with more questions than answers. Apparently the MTM clothing comes in "two levels of make," Golden Fleece and 1818. What's the difference? (I thought the 1818 line was essentially all factory-made.)

Also, what could I expect to pay? Ideally, I'd really just like a navy herringbone in Saxxon wool, Milano cut. Nothing too fancy, I think. Any insight would be much appreciated. Thanks!

I had three suits made - 1 GF and 2 1818. I got them made during their 10/15/20% sale. The 1818 suits cost $1500.00 a piece; the GF cost $2000.00. The sale really helped with the end price paid. As to quality, I believe there's more "handwork" put into the GF suit.

Wolfador

Reaction score
The GF are made by Martin Greenfield and are a step up from the 1818 ones. I was told the MTM start at $1298 if you were looking for Saxxon it would probably add a couple hundred to that.

If you are happy with the RTW stuff your SA can order your size suit in from the main warehouse or other stores.

utexas

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I'll see what they have to offer during the semi-annual sale.

rk1193

Reaction score
Does anyone know the specific date or approximate time period of the Brooks Brothers semi-annual sale? I start working full-time in July and need to stock up on BB attire asap. Thanks!

utexas

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rk1193
Does anyone know the specific date or approximate time period of the Brooks Brothers semi-annual sale? I start working full-time in July and need to stock up on BB attire asap. Thanks!

When I asked this weekend, I was told the week before Father's Day. But the sales associate seemed slightly unsure of herself. It's definitely June though.

scb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went to a local BB yesterday to specifically ask about pricing. the sales rep told me the MTM 1818 suits are $1000 and $1200 for Loro Piana wool

was he wrong?

utexas

Reaction score
Originally Posted by scb
I went to a local BB yesterday to specifically ask about pricing. the sales rep told me the MTM 1818 suits are $1000 and $1200 for Loro Piana wool

was he wrong?

I hope not. Seems low though. Many of the OTR suits retail for $1000.

scb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
he told me they started at the same price as the $998 OTR Milano I tried on

Wolfador

Reaction score
Originally Posted by scb
I went to a local BB yesterday to specifically ask about pricing. the sales rep told me the MTM 1818 suits are $1000 and $1200 for Loro Piana wool was he wrong?
I have been told the MTM 1818 start at $1298. They do run sales on them, usually 10% off the first one. They do offer a special order program which is still a RTW suit with your options on it. Maybe that is what they were quoting.

scb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wolfador
I have been told the MTM 1818 start at $1298. They do run sales on them, usually 10% off the first one. They do offer a special order program which is still a RTW suit with your options on it. Maybe that is what they were quoting.
maybe that's it? the milano fit pretty well off the rack and he said ordering the same milano cut in any fabric I wanted would be 1000 or 1200. what would be the difference between an "1818" MTM suit and this other program you're talking about?

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was told that the "special order" option could even be cheaper than what they carried in the store depending on fabrics. The guy quoted me 800 but that seems awfully low.

Wolfador

Reaction score
Originally Posted by scb
maybe that's it? the milano fit pretty well off the rack and he said ordering the same milano cut in any fabric I wanted would be 1000 or 1200. what would be the difference between an "1818" MTM suit and this other program you're talking about?

With the special order you could get the Milano cut in any fabric you wanted with options such as buttons, lapels, vents. The MTM takes into account more measurements for you instead of just sleeve length.

Originally Posted by CBrown85
I was told that the "special order" option could even be cheaper than what they carried in the store depending on fabrics. The guy quoted me 800 but that seems awfully low.

The 800 is probably for their Brooksease or summer suits.

scb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
so what's the difference between a cheaper "special order" and a mtm 1818?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics