• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BB Golden Fleece Shirtings

morsem

Reaction score
Who makes them, and is there any handwork in them?

Or are they just overpriced goods?

Can you have them make these shirts MTM?

Thanks!

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is no handwork in them.

At about $100 full retail (which means that they can very easily be had at 25% or more below that), I don't think they're overpriced at all.

Quality is Thomas Mason Silverline or thereabouts.

You can usually get shirts MTM in all the same fabrics. Though I would hasten to point out that the pattern matching will probably be a little better on the RTW shirts. The MTM will cost significantly more and fit a bit better.

Buttons are only available in plastic on both RTW and MTM.

Beckwith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are these Gambert made? I know Greenfield uses Gambert, and BB Golden Fleece MTM is Greenfield.

johnnynorman

Reaction score
Uh, I'll post on this later. But the RTW GF shirtings are beautifully made in lux cottons (140s, 160s, 180s, and 200s) and have thick MOP buttons. They retail for about $225.

morsem

Reaction score
Right, the $225 shirts are the ones I speak of, they do have thick MOP buttons.

Do these have handwork or are you just paying for fabric? I know they don't pattern match at gauntlet or sleeve to yoke.

Does Brooks even do a MTM shirt with full pattern matching and thick MOP buttons?

Thanks

Duveen

Reaction score
Is BB even offering GF shirts anymore? I thought that they'd been heavily scaled back.

I bought one for $70 on deep discount a couple of years ago, but ended up returning it b/c it was cut fairly large and with the typical BB style of low armholes, etc.

johnnynorman

Reaction score
346 Madison, as well as One New York Plaza, are offering the Golden Fleece shirtings again. I was shocked myself to see it, as it was only a year ago that they completely phased them out. There are about eight RTW shirts (maybe more, at this point) at 346 Madison, all of them very nice fabrics in attractive patterns.

In my view, the stitching on the GF shirts is as fine as almost anything you'll find on the RTW market. The collars seem very good as well, though I'm not sure if they are fused or stitched interlinings (I think they are stitched). At $225, I have to believe they have one of the smaller markups of anything at Brooks Brothers, and probably the best deal in RTW shirting (provided you like the fit). There is no handwork, but that's not really something to be concerned about with shirts. Only a few shirts display any handwork, and the jury is out on whether it is a good thing.

The question all comes down to fit. Like Duveen said, these are not trim fit shirts. But the sales guy at Brooks told me that they are actually cut slightly more tapered than Brooks "original" fit. He said it is more alone the lines of the "luxury fit" shirt.

All in all, if you like how the shirt fits, IMO it's a great buy at $225 retail -- wait for a 25% sale and get it for significantly less. Also, I don't think that the Brooks MTM program will offer a shirt with the bells and whistles of the Golden Fleece shirting, but I could be wrong.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads