• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BB Fitzgerald made to meas v. Ludlow by J.Crew

Farmgate

Reaction score
I need a cottom suit. I am debating on whether to have BB do a made to measure Fitz vs. the Ludlow off the rack from J.Crew.

I like the styling better with J.Crew Lapel is slimmer. But it looks and feels fused. Because it is.

On the other hand the BB Fitz is better quality, made to measure, fully canvassed. The lapel is fatter and cannot be altered by BB.

It looks stodgy.

What should I buy? It's only a summer suit. TIA.

J. Cogburn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Farmgate
I need a cottom suit. I am debating on whether to have BB do a made to measure Fitz vs. the Ludlow off the rack from J.Crew.

I like the styling better with J.Crew Lapel is slimmer. But it looks and feels fused. Because it is.

On the other hand the BB Fitz is better quality, made to measure, fully canvassed. The lapel is fatter and cannot be altered by BB.

It looks stodgy.

What should I buy? It's only a summer suit. TIA.

If look is more important to you than quality, buy the Ludlow. If not, buy the Fitz. I think you're nuts to call the Fitz "stodgy," but hey, it's the voices in your head that count, not those in mine, so go forth and be hip as you see fit.

Personally, I think the Ludlow looks stupid and out of proportion. It says either (a) "Hey, I'm in high school (or maybe college) and just bought a big-boy suit!", (b) "Hey, I'm well out of school but still want to hang out with the cool kids from Ringo High!", or (c) "Hey, I've lost all my money, but by God, I can still scrape up enough cash for a low end suit from J. Crew!"

If you want a slim fitting, modern suit, you can do better. Try Ralph Lauren's Black Label, for instance. There are others, of course, but I'm partial to it.

Alex C

Reaction score
I second the disagreement on the stodginess. I think if you go any slimmer than a BB Fitz, it'll look silly in five years when fashion changes again, as it always does.

Is the BB MTM different than the OTR? The OTR 1818 line is all half canvassed. Either way, that's miles ahead of the Ludlow's construction.

J. Cogburn

Reaction score
Hell, even the Fitz is arguably too fashion forward to count-on for the more than a few years. The biggest problem is the lapels, which are very narrow relative to the conventional mean (half the size of the coat).

This is one of the reasons I like RLBL. It's trim, slim, and modern looking in cut but the lapels, shoulders, etc. are classically proportioned so as to keep it wearable when we all go into Tom Ford land, which we eventually will.

bananananana

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Can't you get the Milano from BB? Slimmer lapels I think.

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by J. Cogburn
Hell, even the Fitz is arguably too fashion forward to count-on for the more than a few years. The biggest problem is the lapels, which are very narrow relative to the conventional mean (half the size of the coat).

This is one of the reasons I like RLBL. It's trim, slim, and modern looking in cut but the lapels, shoulders, etc. are classically proportioned so as to keep it wearable when we all go into Tom Ford land, which we eventually will.

RLBL has wider lapels than the Fitzgerald?

J. Cogburn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Liquidus
RLBL has wider lapels than the Fitzgerald?

Yep. Just a smidge short of half-way to the shoulder line. Just the way it's supposed to be.

david3558

Reaction score
I just got my MTM Fitz Blazer made today and I was able to adjust the button stance among many other things.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Only fit I will wear from BB is Fitzgerald. If it were me, I'd pass on the J Crew suit and do the Fitz. Won't date as quickly.

enolasfinest

Reaction score
J. Crew is garbage - don't waste your money. I agree with the previous poster - J. Crew is for high school.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads