• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BB Fitzgerald Fit Critique

bck

Reaction score
I purchased a BB Fitzgerald in navy (40R) quite a long time ago, and I'm going to need to wear it in a month or so. I'm thinking about taking it to a tailor for alterations. I want to take in the waist a bit and shorten my sleeves. Any suggestions? Sorry for the quality of the pics...

Grenadier

Reaction score
It's probably too late now, but I think you bought it a size or two too big.

bck

Reaction score
I bought the size that the sales rep recommended to me. Do you think I can get it tailored to fit me better?

bck

Reaction score
I'll get the waist taken in. How do you think the trousers fit? I'm thinking about taking them in some, too. Also, is it very noticeable that I'm wearing a size or two bigger than what I should be wearing? This is my first suit, and I had no idea it's a size or two too big for me. It felt right when I tried it on, and the sales rep recommended that I buy this one. Thanks.

kingyouth

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bck
I'll get the waist taken in. How do you think the trousers fit? I'm thinking about taking them in some, too. Also, is it very noticeable that I'm wearing a size or two bigger than what I should be wearing? This is my first suit, and I had no idea it's a size or two too big for me. It felt right when I tried it on, and the sales rep recommended that I buy this one. Thanks.

It's quite noticeable. The Fitzgerald should be a tailored suit, which it doesn't look like it is on you.

Did the sales rep actualy measure you for the suit? I am always surprised by the number of salespeople who don't measure men for their proper size.

bck

Reaction score
No, he did not measure me. He just made me try on different sizes. If it's that noticeable, am I better off just selling this for what I get and buying it in a size that fits me? Or is it possible to spend less than $200 and get it tailored to make it look good?

bck

Reaction score
I dug up the receipt. I bought the suit on June 21, 2010. The total was 698.33. I think they did alterations on it (they changed the waist a little bit and cuffed the trousers but didn't touch anything else) and charged me 18 bucks. I've been doing a little bit of searching and it seems that they have a good return/exchange policy. Should I go to the BB at Lenox and ask if I can get a refund or exchange for a different size? Thanks.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bck
Should I go to the BB at Lenox and ask if I can get a refund or exchange for a different size? Thanks.

Yes.

CYstyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yes a size smaller. ask for the tailor. hopefully he's better.

CYstyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
try size 36r and a 38r see which one fits better

Grenadier

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bck
I bought the size that the sales rep recommended to me. Do you think I can get it tailored to fit me better?
It'll look better when the sides are taken in. The sleeve are too long, they need to be .5-1" shorter. The trousers also look like they're bunching, I'm not sure what would be the alteration to fix it, but it seems like if there's fabric to let out, it might help them drape better.

bck

Reaction score
Thanks all for the feedback. I'll try to exchange it for a 39R or a 38R first. If that doesn't work out, I'll take in the sides, shorten the sleeves, and do something about the trousers. BTW, do the shoulders look too big for me?

reidrothchild

Reaction score
I doubt you'll be able to return or exchange the suit if they've already altered it, but I really don't see a need to return it. Shoulders look like they fit you fine, but the pics make it hard to tell. If you get the shoulders too small, you'll end up with nasty divots where the arm meets the shoulder instead of a smooth line. Just have the waste taken in and sleeves shortened. Also try and figure out how to clean up the pants.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads