• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BB Camel Hair Polo Coats

PhiloVance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At the risk of receiving responses directing me to the local BB to try the coat on, does anyone know whether you need to size up or down with these coats? The Ralph Lauren polo coat I have is enormous in my regular size, so I'm wondering if these are a more normal cut. Thanks in advance.

Archivist

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PhiloVance
At the risk of receiving responses directing me to the local BB to try the coat on, does anyone know whether you need to size up or down with these coats? The Ralph Lauren polo coat I have is enormous in my regular size, so I'm wondering if these are a more normal cut. Thanks in advance.

I recently picked up a double breasted polo coat at BB and i fits true to size. I'm a 42s, the 42s coat fits properly over a suitcoat. It's warm as well. I'm in NYC this week, anx running around with temps below freezing i'm fine. Except for my ears, didn't bring a hat.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think they are cut a little roomy. I tried one on and found it to be big on me relative to other BB overcoats, but I did not try on the next size down.

MCH-est.1818

Reaction score

I was in a BB store the other day trying on their polo overcoat. I'm a true 40R in their suits and the 40R polo overcoat was a little big. The the salespersons I deal with regularly agreed and said she typically advises people to go a size down from their suit size since they are cut somewhat generous.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mine is just a little roomy but nicely tapered nonetheless. I don't think a polo is meant to be a trim fit.I bought my normal size of 42R and am happy with the fit. I bought mine last week, 25% off, and love it. I'm curious why you can't try it at the shop as I didn't even see it on their website.

scruff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KObalto
Mine is just a little roomy but nicely tapered nonetheless. I don't think a polo is meant to be a trim fit.I bought my normal size of 42R and am happy with the fit. I bought mine last week, 25% off, and love it. I'm curious why you can't try it at the shop as I didn't even see it on their website.

Would you mine sharing the price after the full discount? I haven't seen the coat on the site and don't think I'll be able to make it to the store until next week. Cheers.

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by porcelain monkey
I think they are cut a little roomy. I tried one on and found it to be big on me relative to other BB overcoats, but I did not try on the next size down.

Originally Posted by MCH-est.1818
I was in a BB store the other day trying on their polo overcoat. I'm a true 40R in their suits and the 40R polo overcoat was a little big. The the salespersons I deal with regularly agreed and said she typically advises people to go a size down from their suit size since they are cut somewhat generous.

Tried one on last night. It was decidedly roomy, IMO. It was also long. I wear a 39R suit jacket, and the 38S polo coat seemed a good fit. Very nice coat, BTW. I just wish it had a full sash.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scruff
Would you mine sharing the price after the full discount? I haven't seen the coat on the site and don't think I'll be able to make it to the store until next week. Cheers.

I saw the coat at 336 Madison this fall and it was marked $1050. I saw the Winter Sale sign at BB in Baltimore and walked in to see if they had it on sale. The MSRP was $950 there, oddly enough. With the 25% off, another 15% for getting the BB card and 6% tax, it was ~ $650. The card carries obscene interest and I will pay it off when I get the first bill.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Louche
Tried one on last night. It was decidedly roomy, IMO. It was also long. I wear a 39R suit jacket, and the 38S polo coat seemed a good fit. Very nice coat, BTW. I just wish it had a full sash.

Hmmm, there was no 41R available to try on and I'm on the slim side of 42R but I'm happy with the fit. As to the length, I'm 5'10" and the coat ends mid-calf for me.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmmm, there was no 41R available to try on and I'm on the slim side of 42R but I'm happy with the fit. As to the length, I'm 5'10" and the coat ends mid-calf for me.

Are you talking about the DB coat? BB has SB and DB camel hair polo coats and I think that DB is Golden Fleece.I think they were $1198.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by forex
Are you talking about the DB coat? BB has SB and DB camel hair polo coats and I think that DB is Golden Fleece.I think they were $1198.
$1198? Perhaps I forgot the price in Manhattan. I know it was over a grand. The one I got is DB, belt back , turnback cuffs, etc. made in Italy from Loro Piana camel hair. It has the golden sheepie on the label.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
$1198? Perhaps I forgot the price in Manhattan. I know it was over a grand. The one I got is DB, belt back , turnback cuffs, etc. made in Italy from Loro Piana camel hair. It has the golden sheepie on the label.

It is made in Italy? I thought they were made in the US??

PhiloVance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, don't shoot me, but I walked over to the BB at 346 and the coats are $1198 for the DB in camelhair - and it is Golden Fleece. They didnt have my size, although I tried on a 40L and it definitely fit fine, even a bit roomy. I'm normally a 42R. A 40R should be fine - I'm looking for something a bit form fitting - I have plenty of roomier overcoats - but it was still roomy enough in 40L.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, don't shoot me, but I walked over to the BB at 346 and the coats are $1198 for the DB in camelhair - and it is Golden Fleece. They didnt have my size, although I tried on a 40L and it definitely fit fine, even a bit roomy. I'm normally a 42R. A 40R should be fine - I'm looking for something a bit form fitting - I have plenty of roomier overcoats - but it was still roomy enough in 40L.

Were they on sale there? Made in Italy? I'm thinking they were mis-marked at my store.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads