• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BB Brookstorm Overcoat Sizing

Gauss17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently purchased a Brookstorm overcoat at the recent sale. I am around a 42.5-43 chest, and I mainly intended to wear it with dress shirts and sweaters, so I wanted to fit a bit more snugly. I tried on a 44L and it just looked too big on me. I then tried on a 42L which fit much better so I went with it. However, after wearing it for awhile, I realize it restricts my movement to a fair degree. The chest is not too big as I have room to spare there, but I am thinking the shoulders may have an issue. The shoulder seams line up well with my shoulders and look good when I am standing (arms at sides), but I feel tightness and restriction when driving or moving my shoulders forward (like you do when you give someone a hug).

Opinions? Am I right that the shoulders are likely the issue? Or does it sound like I am just wrong about the chest measure? Or is this normal? I am debating whether or not to try and return the coat and maybe have one tailored for me (there is a local guy who will probably make me one for a similar price, but not in that fabric).

Thanks SF (a new me)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm assuming this the Loro Piana storm system, which seems to be sold out as it is no longer on their website...interesting post as I am heading to BB this weekend for fitting. I ordered sizes of 40S (my true size) and 42S...I am planning to wear with SC and/or shirt/sweater so I figure I can try both and how they fit..

Gauss17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, it is the storm system. I have fairly broad shoulders, which may be my problem. It also seems rather difficult to actually put on. I may really need the 44L, but it just looks too "blousy" for lack of a better term.

Thanks SF (a new me)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I trust one of the tailor and my SA at the local BB store on fitting. This old school tailor has always been blunt and honest and would tell me if it doesn't fit or look good. But he would always reminds me that everything else he can fix, anything with shoulders, he wont touch..He has done wonders for me, both for BB and items purchased outside the store...

Last edited:

PipersSon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm assuming this the Loro Piana storm system, which seems to be sold out as it is no longer on their website...interesting post as I am heading to BB this weekend for fitting. I ordered sizes of 40S (my true size) and 42S...I am planning to wear with SC and/or shirt/sweater so I figure I can try both and how they fit..

I wonder if anyone has pics/ links to the coat you are referring to, as I can see a few storm coats on their site right now......curious because I have been meaning to buy one the next time there is a sale.

Last edited:

Gauss17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just get the 44 and stop trying to squeeze yourself into undersized clothes. Ask any experienced man like the salesman at BB on Madison and he'll tell you that coats must fit loosely.

I'm really not trying to. The chest of the 42L is already fairly big on me, but not so big as to look poor in my opinion. The only issue it seems is the shoulders.

I trust one of the tailor and my SA at the local BB store on fitting. This old school tailor has always been blunt and honest and would tell me if it doesn't fit or look good. But he would always reminds me that everything else he can fix, anything with shoulders, he wont touch..He has done wonders for me, both for BB and items purchased outside the store...

This crossed my mind, but with the Brookstorm coats I am told you cannot alter them as it messes up the water resistance of the coat.

I may just have to find a new coat.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads