• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BB 1818 suits - full canvass now?

junior varsity

Reaction score

AMProf

Reaction score
Its not a typo, but looking at the other suits on there in the 1818 line I'd say its also not the norm. Saxxon is already an upgraded fabric for the 1818 line, so perhaps this one model comes with an upgrade in the construction as well. I recenty sold a full canvas Fitzgerald sport coat, so they do have this construction among some suits and jackets where you'd not expect it. Perhaps someone with more insider knowledge could enlighten further.

junior varsity

Reaction score
bump?

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BB frequently has mistakes and incorrect information on its website. As none of the other 1818 suits and Saxxon suits I clicked on say "full canvas," I find it hard to believe BB would change its construction for just this Milano suit and charge the same price as other 1818 suits. As for sportcoats and blazers, many are full canvas construction.

thatch22

Reaction score
I was in the Salt Lake store on Saturday trying on a 1818 Fitz, and the salesman swore it was fully canvassed. The pinch test even confirmed as much. Did BB recently make a change?

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
All the half canvas Milanos seem to be 998, and this supposedly "full canvas" model is $1098, so maybe for an extra $100 they are able to canvas the lower part of the jacket front?

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All the half canvas Milanos seem to be 998, and this supposedly "full canvas" model is $1098, so maybe for an extra $100 they are able to canvas the lower part of the jacket front?

No, the Saxxon wool suits are all $1098.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What you are seeing is the phase in of the Southwick Golden Fleece garments...

No, OP's link was to an 1818 Milano, not a Golden Fleece. But now that you mention it, I really like the look of the new Southwick Golden Fleece Fitzgerald suits on the BB website. On the website, it looks like a shorter jacket and a slimmer cut. I wonder if they will similarly update the 1818 Fitzgerald suits.

AMProf

Reaction score
I just wish they'd roll out something like this in the blazers. I'm in the market for a classic navy blazer but with a trimmer cut (a la Fitzgerald or Milano). Tried on their Fitz blazer and loved the fit, but the hopsack (?) fabric didn't do much for me; felt too casual, almost a bit downscale. Much prefer the wool on the 1818 Madison or the Saxxon wool on the country club blazers, but both of them have a more traditional (and in my mind "boxy") cut.

js4design

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is made in the USA (Southwick) unlike previous seasons made in Italy. And since there is no Golden Fleece in the Milano, this could be full canvassed.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads