• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BB 1818 Regent/Fitzgerald

maufic

Reaction score
Hello,

I'd like to take advantage of the current BB 1818 suit sale. I was thinking of ordering a Regent and a Fitzgerald. I have read that both these models are slimmer fitting than most BB suits. I'm currently wearing a 46R (HF Madison and Canali). Should I think about sizing one up (48R) for either/both of these suits? My biggest concern is the shoulder width of the Regent and Fitzgerald (compared to the HF Madison). I'll be ordering these online (since I live in Toronto and we don't have a BB anywhere close) and really hope I don't have to send them back.

Thanks for the help,
Maurizio

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have an 1818 Regent. I don't find it super-slim; just a trimmer cut, thinner lapels, etc. I got the impression that it's only slim compared to the standard BB stuff. I'm a 40R in pretty much everything and a 40R in the 1818 Regent. It probably required a little less tapering for me, but unless you're built like a barrel, I wouldn't think you'd have to size up.

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fitzgerald are the slimmest that BB offers. I tried on a Fitzgerald a month or so ago at the local BB store and it was defnintely slimmer than the Regent cut. It still needs tailoring to bring in the waist for me (5'6", 130 lbs 9" drop), but it wasn't too bad.

sartort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Definitely do not size up. Otherwise you lose any slimness the cut may have. I had to have my reg. size taken in at the waist.

518aata

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently bought a Golden Fleece susit cut on the Regent model. The fit of the coat is a bit trimmer than other GF suits I have, but not by much -- maybe an inch or so slimmer in the waist. However, the pants are a 7-inch drop, rather than the usual 6-inch drop, and are cut narrower from top to bottom than the regular GF pants.

By the way, I haven't decided whether to keep it; it's currently for sale in Buying and Selling. http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...+fleece+regent )

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last time I tried them all on, I fit best in a 38R Madison, 39R Regent, and 40R Fitzgerald. As always with fit, YMMV. The Fitzgerald has a slimmer jacket & wider pants (drop 6) than the Regent (drop 7). Both have narrow shoulders. The Regent has a double vent; the Fitzgerald has a single vent. There must be other difference I'm overlooking.

maufic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dewey
Both have narrow shoulders. .

This is what I was wondering about. Do the Regent and Fitzgerald have narrow shoulders compared to the HF Madison? or the BB Madison?

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ The shoulders of the BB Regent & BB Fitzgerald are more narrow than the shoulders of the BB Madison. The shoulders on the 38 Madison might be broader than the shoulders on the 40 Fitzgerald.

I can't answer questions about the current HF cuts.

unpainted huffheinz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by maufic
This is what I was wondering about. Do the Regent and Fitzgerald have narrow shoulders compared to the HF Madison? or the BB Madison?

Both of the Madison models are pretty close in cut and style. The HF might have a slightly wider shoulder, but not by much. If the Regent and Fitzgerald have narrower shoulders than the BB Madison, it is not by much. The thing to watch with the Fitz is the additional inch of drop and lower rise of the trousers.

Neither the Regent or Fitzgerald are slim like Ralph's Black Label or some of the designer stuff. In fact, I was disappointed with how little shape there is to the cuts - they still require a fair amount of additional waist suppression.

maufic

Reaction score
How about in terms of length. I'm 5'11". Should I be looking at a regular or long 1818.

unpainted huffheinz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by maufic
How about in terms of length. I'm 5'11". Should I be looking at a regular or long 1818.

I would say regular unless your torso is quite long. The BB longs are probably best for those 6'1 and up - at 6'3" the longs are more than long enough for me.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
no go on a size up,stick with your size unless you have a high rise and a belly,Regent and Fitz have slim pants and you may have a problem with that.
I don't think suit jackets are extremely slim,just a tad slim.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads