Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Baume & Mercier

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by PHV, Jun 23, 2005.

1. PHV

PHV Senior member

I have a quick question, I want a sort of casual yet elegant watch that is a bit different. I thought the Cartier Divan is cool, but it's a bit small and out of my range for what I want to spend on this type of watch. What is the fundamental difference between the Hampton City http://www.atlantictime.com/shopexd-id-13740.htm and the Hampton Spirit http://www.atlantictime.com/shopexd-id-14725.htm I like both watches, but cannot understand the price difference. I believe both are the same movement, and relatively same size. The city has a more informal face, which I am leaning more towards. However, given the proper knowledge I might consider the latter. Could you possibly shed some light on this? Thank you, I'd really appreciate it.

2. ATM

ATM Senior member

The Spirit has a date, an alligator strap, and the dial is engraved. I don't know enough to know if that justifies the $1100 difference in retail price.

3. ernest

ernest Senior member

I hate both of these watches as they are huge and will be outdated in a couple of years. The more expensive has a better movement i guess. It is the top of B&M for the movement actually.

4. PHV

PHV Senior member

(PHV @ June 23 2005,08:36) I have a quick question, I want a sort of casual yet elegant watch that is a bit different. I thought the Cartier Divan is cool, but it's a bit small and out of my range for what I want to spend on this type of watch. What is the fundamental difference between the Hampton City http://www.atlantictime.com/shopexd-id-13740.htm and the Hampton Spirit http://www.atlantictime.com/shopexd-id-14725.htm I like both watches, but cannot understand the price difference. I believe both are the same movement, and relatively same size. The city has a more informal face, which I am leaning more towards. However, given the proper knowledge I might consider the latter. Could you possibly shed some light on this? Thank you, I'd really appreciate it.
    I hate both of these watches as they are huge and will be outdated in a couple of years. The more expensive has a better movement i guess. It is the top of B&M for the movement actually.
    I don't think so.. I have huge hands and I doubt the watch will look big on me. I like interesting watches, this B&M isn't too trendy, and much more interesting than most boring JL/IWCs.

5. ernest

ernest Senior member

The watch will be on your wrist and not on your hand.

It looks tacky to me because not only because it is large but because it is inspired by a TV set...Do you wanna have a TV set on your wrist? I do not.

These watch are trendy because they have new shapes/sizes and HUGE watches are the trend.

They must be outdated one day as small watches will come back in fashion sooner or later.

What is an interesting watch?

6. PHV

PHV Senior member

Originally Posted by PHV,June 23 2005,19:38
    I don't think so.. I have huge hands and I doubt the watch will look big on me. I like interesting watches, this B&M isn't too trendy, and much more interesting than most boring JL/IWCs.
    The watch will be on your wrist and not on your hand. It looks tacky to me because not only because it is large but because it is inspired by a TV set...Do you wanna have a TV set on your wrist? I do not. These watch are trendy because they have new shapes/sizes and HUGE watches are the trend. They must be outdated one day as small watches will come back in fashion sooner or later. What is an interesting watch?
    I think the shape is more interesting than round wathces. Everywhere you look, people have round wathces. Cheap watches are made to look like Rolexes, and there are thousands of cheap watches that look like JLs and IWCs that you can find at department stores. I like wathches with shapes that you don't see all the time, like Roth, different Tonneau designs, the Cartier Divan, your Patek etc...

7. ernest

ernest Senior member

I agree that it is interesting to have different shapes. This is what i tried to do as i have round, oval, square and rectangle but before buying original shapes I guess you must have classic ones.

The problem of these B&M is not the shape (which is finaly just a tonneau) but the size. You can not wear this with a suit.

I can find many cheap watches with this shape/size.

All JL are not round as you seem to think and JL is x time better than B&M.

You will be bored rapidly with this type of "exentric" watch.

What do you want? A watch that people can not take for a cheap one ?  

Who will think that the curent ellipse of Patek is around $ 15 000 ? Only people who know Patek. So it will be the same with any watches.

Most of people don't understand or even imagine that one can wear a watch which costs more than $200.

I like the 1972 of Vacheron = nice shape

8. PHV

PHV Senior member

(PHV @ June 23 2005,20:36) I think the shape is more interesting than round wathces. Everywhere you look, people have round wathces. Cheap watches are made to look like Rolexes, and there are thousands of cheap watches that look like JLs and IWCs that you can find at department stores. I like wathches with shapes that you don't see all the time, like Roth, different Tonneau designs, the Cartier Divan, your Patek etc...
    I agree that it is interesting to have different shapes. This is what i tried to do as i have round, oval, square and rectangle but before buying original shapes I guess you must have classic ones. The problem of these B&M is not the shape (which is finaly just a tonneau) but the size. You can not wear this with a suit. I can find many cheap watches with this shape/size. All JL are not round as you seem to think and JL is x time better than B&M. You will be bored rapidly with this type of "exentric" watch. What do you want? A watch that people can not take for a cheap one ? Â Who will think that the curent ellipse of Patek is around $ 15 000 ? Only people who know Patek. So it will be the same with any watches. Most of people don't understand or even imagine that one can wear a watch which costs more than $200. I like the 1972 of Vacheron = nice shape
    Well, just remember that I will never wear it with a suit. This is a watch to wear with jeans when I'm going out at night, or to the movies or whatever. A casual but elegant watch. I am 6'4 tall, so I am not a small person. In proportion the watch will look normal. Also keep in mind that I will not wear this all the time... only every now and then as a little spice. If you know what I mean.

9. CarsonInMaryland

CarsonInMaryland Member

I have to agree with Ernest on this one. I bought the women's version for my girlfriend it is defintely a trendy watch that you will regret purchasing one day. I cringe about the money I dropped on it everytime I look at it. I'd opt for one of the Capeland models if you're set on a B&M. I have a Capeland with black face/brown strap that looks great with suits as well as casual wear. Good luck.

10. PHV

PHV Senior member

I had no idea it was that trendy... but there are quite classic watches that are fairly big... the Cartier Tortue, the Tag Monaco, and scores of others.

I haven't seen this B&M in person, and might not realize just how big it is. My Oris Miles Davis Tonneau doesn't look so bad, although I think I might put it on a black gator strap.

11. ernest

ernest Senior member

This is a watch for women in my opinion = flashy and trendy.

12. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

(CarsonInMaryland @ June 23 2005,21:12) I have to agree with Ernest on this one. Â I bought the women's version for my girlfriend it is defintely a trendy watch that you will regret purchasing one day. Â I cringe about the money I dropped on it everytime I look at it. Â I'd opt for one of the Capeland models if you're set on a B&M. Â I have a Capeland with black face/brown strap that looks great with suits as well as casual wear. Good luck.
    This is a watch for women in my opinion = flashy and trendy.
    ernest, look to the left. Satan.

13. ernest

ernest Senior member

(CarsonInMaryland @ June 23 2005,12:12) I have to agree with Ernest on this one. Â I bought the women's version for my girlfriend it is defintely a trendy watch that you will regret purchasing one day. Â I cringe about the money I dropped on it everytime I look at it. Â I'd opt for one of the Capeland models if you're set on a B&M. Â I have a Capeland with black face/brown strap that looks great with suits as well as casual wear. Good luck.
    I had no idea it was that trendy... but there are quite classic watches that are fairly big... the Cartier Tortue, the Tag Monaco, and scores of others. I haven't seen this B&M in person, and might not realize just how big it is. My Oris Miles Davis Tonneau doesn't look so bad, although I think I might put it on a black gator strap.
    The Tortue has nothing in common with the B&M as the B&M is much larger. The monaco is NOT a classic watch but a sport watch. Doesn't look so bad? What do you mean? You thought it was bad? I told you Oris Tonneau were not very sharp... This B&M is much larger than your Oris i guess. And the glass is like a magnifying glass = not flat Actually, I don't understand how you can talk about a watch you haven't even seen or tried...

14. PHV

PHV Senior member

(PHV @ June 23 2005,21:25)
    I have to agree with Ernest on this one. Â I bought the women's version for my girlfriend it is defintely a trendy watch that you will regret purchasing one day. Â I cringe about the money I dropped on it everytime I look at it. Â I'd opt for one of the Capeland models if you're set on a B&M. Â I have a Capeland with black face/brown strap that looks great with suits as well as casual wear. Good luck.
    I had no idea it was that trendy... but there are quite classic watches that are fairly big... the Cartier Tortue, the Tag Monaco, and scores of others. I haven't seen this B&M in person, and might not realize just how big it is. My Oris Miles Davis Tonneau doesn't look so bad, although I think I might put it on a black gator strap.
    The Tortue has nothing in common with the B&M as the B&M is much larger. The monaco is NOT a classic watch but a sport watch. Doesn't look so bad? What do you mean? You thought it was bad? I told you Oris Tonneau were not very sharp... This B&M is much larger than your Oris i guess. And the glass is like a magnifying glass = not flat Actually, I don't understand how you can talk about a watch you haven't even seen or tried...
    Well that's why I'm asking first. What would be some good suggestions? I don't really like sport watches... what are some examples of elegant but casual watches that don't look typical, and in this price range?