• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Battling the moths: what do you do?

Agatha Crusty

Reaction score

Since it's getting to the time for summer clothing to be gradually stored away and the autumn clothes to come out, I wonder what members here do to battle the problem of moths and moth damage?

Some things I get dry cleaned, but I stopped sending out suits and jackets some years back, As is known it's hard to find cleaners who properly press lapels and collars without flattening and ruining them, but that microscopic dirt and staining is a feast for moths.

Last year, after having linen and wool coats damaged by moths I really took the problem to task, using good, sealed bags and (against my will) chemical mothballs, fairly regularly replaced; I use bags of lavender too, refreshed with lavender oil. Also periodic checking, brushing in the seams/under collars, lapels and pocket flaps, and airing of stored clothes. It seems like a pain, but it's better than finding a coat or trousers with holes in the front.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I usually store my off season suits and sweaters in breathable clothing bags designed for storing clothing. I think I bought mine from Target or Walmart and they weren't too expensive. Great for peace of mind. Unfortunately I left my suit bags in the US so I need to buy some more. No idea where to get them in Chile.

Last edited:

Mr.K

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For my clothes that are stored I line the drawers with cedar and it seems to help keep away the moths. I also have cedar planks on my closet walls behind the hanging clothes to help keep the moths away.

Maccimus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Place some old cloths to feed the moths...Well, I stole the idea from another member.:slayer:

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Place some old cloths to feed the moths...Well, I stole the idea from another member.:slayer:

You honestly think breeding moths is a good idea? :embar:

Moths like a certain enviroment. Avoid what they like and they won't show up.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
There's any number of sources on the net where you can purchase cedar oil. I bought some from TexasCedarOil.com. Several times a year, beginning in Fall, I re-oil the little hanging planks of cedar that I have in my closet and I stuff paper towels soaked in cedar oil into the tops of garment bags and into drawers where I store all my woolen goods.

Knock on wood...I haven't had a problem with moths for several years despite my house being the perfect refuge for moths--my wife cards and spins raw wool.

And, my closet and my chest of drawers smell pretty good to my way of thinking--I like the smell although it can be strong.

Last edited:

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Observe cleanliness. It isn't just the moths but moth eggs as well. These eggs can be carried by the air and blow in your home through the window. Clean all window moldings and sills.
Clean the floor especially near windows and doors. In summer, don't leave a bright light on in your closet room or bedroom at night. It only attracts more moths. With your hanging garments (suits, sport coats, etc) get your hands inbetween each garment and gently agitate the garments. Moths don't like to be disturbed so if you rotate your stock and periodically agitate the garments you will see if anything was hiding in there. I also agree with the advice give thus far by others. I personally hate Napthalene (moth balls) and so Thank you DWF for the suggestion of cedar oil. I'll have to look into buying some of that.

Last edited:

Agatha Crusty

Reaction score
Good advice. I agree with agitating the garments, but the adult moth itself is harmless - apart from that it lays eggs of course and these are attached with a sort of glue-like substance. Clothes moths also are not attracted to light, they prefer dim light or none. These things are a great success in evolutionary terms, but an utter pest for clothes.

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Observe cleanliness. It isn't just the moths but moth eggs as well. These eggs can be carried by the air and blow in your home through the window. Clean all window moldings and sills.
Clean the floor especially near windows and doors. In summer, don't leave a bright light on in your closet room or bedroom at night. It only attracts more moths. With your hanging garments (suits, sport coats, etc) get your hands inbetween each garment and gently agitate the garments. Moths don't like to be disturbed so if you rotate your stock and periodically agitate the garments you will see if anything was hiding in there. I also agree with the advice give thus far by others. I personally hate Napthalene (moth balls) and so Thank you DWF for the suggestion of cedar oil. I'll have to look into buying some of that.

You can always just buy regular cedar (lumber), but over time (not sure what timeframe though), the oil in the wood -- which is what he was talking about buying separately and is the agent responsible for repelling insects -- will dry up and you can either replace the wood entirely or oil it.

My grandparents had an entire walk-in closet lined with cedar and it smelled amazing.

Last edited:

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Battling the moths: what do you do?

Sometimes you've got to call out the big guns.

22297.jpg

Tristan.sf

Reaction score
I've been needing to buy something to protect my wool clothing; thanks for the post.

I still don't know what mothballs are exactly as I have never encountered them. A long time ago, I thought they were the remnants of clothing consumed by moths.
There's any number of sources on the net where you can purchase cedar oil. I bought some from TexasCedarOil.com. Several times a year, beginning in Fall, I re-oil the little hanging planks of cedar that I have in my closet and I stuff paper towels soaked in cedar oil into the tops of garment bags and into drawers where I store all my woolen goods.

Knock on wood...I haven't had a problem with moths for several years despite my house being the perfect refuge for moths--my wife cards and spins raw wool.

And, my closet and my chest of drawers smell pretty good to my way of thinking--I like the smell although it can be strong.

savsg

Reaction score
I find Orphea strips to be really effective - you can buy them online.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We have a pest control guy who comes on a regular basis to check for termites, moths, ants, etc. He puts pheromone traps in any place where moths are likely to be. That catches the males. It is basically to diagnose the problem. If there are males, then he puts little discs on the walls of the closet. I am not sure exactly what they are, but are supposed to disrupt the breeding cycle of the females - kind of like a birth control. Good for 30 feet or so. Cedar is good I am told, but it doesn't repel the moths it just masks the smell of your wool so they can't find it. As for sealing things up in garment bags etc, that is fine as long as there are not eggs on them already - not always a safe assumption. My wife sealed up a bunch of sweaters once and when she opened them up next season, moths literally flew out, and had eaten through several over the summer.

stubloom

Reaction score
Last edited:

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There is only one way to protect your fine wools against the ravages of nutrition-hungry moth larvae: DRY CLEAN BEFORE YOU STORE.

No. ,,,nutrition hungry? what other kind of hungry is there for a moth larvae? What do you recommend for those moth species that eat for pleasure or snack?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics