1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Battle of the Longwings: Alden vs. Florsheim Limited vs. Allen Edmonds

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jrd617, Nov 11, 2010.

1. Patek

Patek Senior member

Florsheim screwed me once. I had purchased a brand new pair and I wiped them with a damp rag to get some dust off. The color came out of the leather. I tried polish, but they still looked like crap. I could not believe that new leather would lose its color like that so I brought them back to the store.

The store sent them back to Florsheim who took two months to tell me that I had used a strong chemical to clean them. I guess H2O falls under their "strong chemical" category. I wrote them a nasty letter telling them that it was my first and last pair of Florsheim shoes. I never went back to the store to pick them up and I will never buy another.

Take that for what its worth.

2. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

Florsheim screwed me once. I had purchased a brand new pair and I wiped them with a damp rag to get some dust off. The color came out of the leather. I tried polish, but they still looked like crap. I could not believe that new leather would lose its color like that so I brought them back to the store. The store sent them back to Florsheim who took two months to tell me that I had used a strong chemical to clean them. I guess H2O falls under their "strong chemical" category. I wrote them a nasty letter telling them that it was my first and last pair of Florsheim shoes. I never went back to the store to pick them up and I will never buy another. Take that for what its worth.
    $0.00

3. Patek

Patek Senior member

$0.00

Well, $0.00 is exactly what Florsheims are worth to me.

4. isshinryu101

isshinryu101 Senior member

Well, $0.00 is exactly what Florsheims are worth to me.

THIS is exactly why it's necessary to stick with older Florsheims. The Kenmoor v-cleats are nice & very rugged shoes, while their newer stuff is CRAP. BUT, that's just one man's opinion.

5. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

I saw the Florsheims in person recently and they looked really cheapy. When you look into the holes of the design, the leather is all frayed and gross looking. In fact some holes were filled in with what looked like suede.

6. flambard

flambard Senior member

Here's a pic of some better Florsheim longwings (by Duckie Brown)

pebble, burgundy shell, black shell
    [​IMG]

As a l-o-n-g-t-i-m-e wearer of Florsheim Kenmoor Imperials I have to say the Duckie on the left looks rather nice. (!) Don't care too much for the other two, don't like the Veblen - at all.

The Veblen unfortunately gives off a poor librarian look to me, as do the other two pair of brown shoes in the original post. I think of having to wear baggy clothes to 'complete' the look. But then again we are all talking about attitude in the long run. They will definately look good on some, not on others.

7. aportnoy

aportnoy Senior member Dubiously Honored

8. dolezel

dolezel New Member

Maybe vintage Kenmoor are better in quality than present production.
    What do you think about it?

9. HRH Demetri

HRH Demetri Member

Gentlemen
    I just read the above site, and you all have personal points of view which is what style is all about. You will always look your best providing your appearance is neat & clean cut,
    sans flashes of personnal extravogence's to the degree that it distracts from you. So I personally feel that the shoe as long as it is polished & clean and is not out of place for the most part will look good. Now that is not to say the perfect creation, as it is made for the most part by machine & man and then there is Murphy's Law. When there is a chance for something to go wrong it will. Third world artizens are few & far between, as their skills may not be up to par of the finest American & European craftsman. So accept it for what it is worth. Make a concession you will always get what you pay for period; nothing is for free &on the cheap today. Years ago way back in time I had Florschiem Imperials Wingtips that were built like a tank (were worn at least twice a week constantly with a polish every other week, resolded at leat 25 time and lasted a good 20 years - yes thats rite up till the day they died of the leather cracking). So yes the new ones are not the same as you will find this to apply to most everythiong today- it all comes down to cots & profit unfortuneatly. So for the most part we working class stiffs who are married & have kids have to live with a budget; so we buy what we need and hope Santa gets us what we desire and hope for in shoes when he can. So there you have it from a average Joe. I would love to have a pair of Aldens but they dont have EEE sizes from what I can see on their web sites. So I will stick to the Florsheims for now and for a dandy pair I will buy my first pair of AE this week to indulge. Dont be too harsh on the Florscheims they fill a need & price point for most of us!

10. rosslovethreads

rosslovethreads Senior member

Hey HRH, fck off.

I bought the dumb Veblens in the wine colorway. They were decent. Clunkier than a lwb needs to be. They use horween for the uppers, so that was cool.

You are all comparing apples to Ferraris.

11. Man of Honor

Man of Honor New Member

Sir
    You are not a gentlemen to say the least, if you think that you can just "off" people who think differently from you, you are mistaken. That man expressed an opinion; his albit; it may not be yours so express yourself as a gentlemen not an imbeccilic high school tuit, who has no touch of "Economic Reality". Do you have a family ? Everyone does the best he can with what cards are given to him (meaning $$$$) to spend on himself & others. So if you live alone (which I tend to believe) then you can spend to your hearts desire. People on a budget today (most of the US populace) and based on statistics are very carefull on what & where they spend. They tend to do the best they can; the best bang for buck. So take it for what it's worth either you are very wealthy (I hope for your sake so) or you are just a small self centered smart alek of a little man. Grow up pal..

1 person likes this.
  12. bl@ster

bl@ster Senior member

Just picked up these new Florsheim Kenmoor's in Shell Cordovan "Scotch" colorway. I normally wouldn't buy a Made in India Florsheim Kenmoor for this much money (total came to 400 something bucks) but I was pretty curious about the "exotic" (read: lighter color) Horween shell that is so hard to find these days in Aldens. Overall, for the price they're Goodyear welted and I'm pretty pleased. Construction isn't half bad on them and the Horween Shell is gorgeous. Here are pics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 5, 2014
  13. NWTeal

NWTeal Senior member

@bl@ster gorgeous as always. How did you size in these compared to some AE lasts? I'm looking to replace my shell Macneils and these may fit the bill.

How's the finishing and detail compared to AE as well?

14. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

I personally prefer the Alden LWB for the style but I would give the Florsheim's an edge over AE's; I just think the vamp is too short and the facings (or whatever you call the area where the eyelets are) are too large. AE does make for better quality with the JR soles though.

15. bl@ster

bl@ster Senior member

Hey Teal. These fit TTS and comparable to most AE lasts (which also run TTS for me). Finishing is actually better than I expected. I'd put them on par with Allen Edmonds or maybe just a touch below. The footbed is actual leather (not fiberboard) which is great but also expected at this price point. BTW I also kopped the "Dark Cherry" Cordovan which is really gorgeous stuff -- here's pics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
  16. NWTeal

NWTeal Senior member

Thanks @bl@ster. Looks like I have some choices to make. I think these have better shape and proportions than the MacNeil. The finish and stitching actually look better as well than when I got Macneils out of the box.

17. tv2177

tv2177 Senior member

looks real nice. I would like to know where can I find them on sale!

18. bl@ster

bl@ster Senior member

Being that they're shell, I wouldn't hold my breath for a sale. In fact, they're nearly sold out on the Florshey website.

19. bl@ster

bl@ster Senior member

At the risk of being the only one who seems to care about this subject... recently scored these vintage deadstock 1999 Florsheim shell gunboats on Ebay. Check em out:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. miketheraven

miketheraven Member

[​IMG][​IMG][/IMG]

Pardon the poor image quality.
    I just scooped these up from my local Burlington for what I gather was a steal. Based on the code (11416-605), it appears that these are the Dark Cherry flavor.