Battle of the Longwings: Alden vs. Florsheim Limited vs. Allen Edmonds

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jrd617, Nov 11, 2010.

1. pebblegrain

pebblegrain Senior member

I am saying that if you have ugly feet, even nice-looking shoes would not look good on you.

I want you to read what you wrote, and think about it.

2. Newstyle

Newstyle Senior member

I have to say of course the Alden's are the nicest looking but I think second is the Florsheim, I just really love the sole. For someone on a severe budget these can't be beat.

Oh and anyone looking to purchase these today the Florsheim website has a promo code "8520" for %15 off (expires 11/11) and they qualify for free shipping. Can't be beat.

3. bellyhungry

bellyhungry Senior member

I want you to read what you wrote, and think about it.

Hmmm.....Maybe...

4. pebblegrain

pebblegrain Senior member

Hmmm.....Maybe...

when do you, feel free to express it by replying "hay I am a dumbass"

5. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

I have to say of course the Alden's are the nicest looking but I think second is the Florsheim, I just really love the sole. For someone on a severe budget these can't be beat.

Going against the SF orthodoxy I agree with you. I don't think the Florsheims are anything special, but I really really dislike the AE longwing. The pointy toe, low toe, and visually short toe box just look like shit to me. [​IMG]

6. bellyhungry

bellyhungry Senior member

..."hay I am a dumbass"

Well, you said it yourself.

7. rebel222

rebel222 Senior member

..."hay I am a dumbass"
    That's sig worthy.

8. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

Going against the SF orthodoxy I agree with you. I don't think the Florsheims are anything special, but I really really dislike the AE longwing. The pointy toe, low toe, and visually short toe box just look like shit to me. [​IMG]

man I have stared at the macneils vs aldens for a long time, and still can't figure out what any of that means vs the alden

I'm sure that at a 10 foot distance eye to shoe, 8/10 SF's wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the 2

9. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

man I have stared at the macneils vs aldens for a long time, and still can't figure out what any of that means vs the alden I'm sure that at a 10 foot distance eye to shoe, 8/10 SF's wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the 2
    I can spot a pair of Macneils a good distance away due to these three features. I'll try my best to explain what I'm talking about. Take a look here: http://www.theshoemart.com/cgi-bin/f...ll%20Cordovan# The third and fifth pictures from the left (the profile shots) show the pronounced downward slope of the toe box from the vamp. The Alden LW is more or less flat in the area. You can also see how far the lace go down the vamp. The leather that makes the open lacing is attached almost at the widest part of the toe box. The Alden LW attaches farther back. The third picture from the right shows how pointy the toe box is. These three features contribute to making the AE longwing a very unbalanced design to my eye. Additionally, they make the shoe look rather dainty in sizes roughly 9 and below. If you have an enormous foot this might be a desirable thing. I hope I've been clear.

10. rebel222

rebel222 Senior member

The Macneils look completely different than the Aldens. The shape isn't even close.

11. luftvier

luftvier Senior member

99/100 people could not tell the difference.

The 1%ers reside here, on Styleforum.

12. cimabue

cimabue Senior member

My first pair of cordovan kicks were Florsheim Imperials from back in the day. They were widely regarded to be the best at that time (1980s). I have two pairs of Aldens now. The old Florsheims were at least as good as the Aldens are now but I much prefer Alden lasts. The Barrie suits me well. I had a pair of the new 'Sheims in my hands a couple weeks ago and, well, let's just say you get what you pay for. There is no real comparison to the oldies.

13. mainy

mainy Senior member

the florsheims look okay until you wear them once, and realize that the leather wll never look decent again, and fully appreciate how crappy the finishing is on them because they were made in india for 7 dollars. I guess $160 is a good value if you are comparing them to Cole Haan.

14. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

Who will come forth and champion the BB Black Fleece longwing, made by Alden on a non-Barrie last and with a cute fruit loop possessed by no other longwing?

- B

15. luftvier

luftvier Senior member

Who will come forth and champion the BB Black Fleece longwing, made by Alden on a non-Barrie last and with a cute fruit loop possessed by no other longwing? - B
    Or perhaps the single-soled OneShoe™?