• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Battistoni suits?

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I need a very hi end suit for a function coming up in a few months. There is a spot that has a very nice looking Battistoni suit for a good price.

My question is, how does this brand compare to the RTW big boys? Kiton, Brioni, Attolini, etc. Same level, a smidge below? Half a rung down?

Please advise...

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I don't like the way they are cut. Don't know much about the make.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
As far as I know, the suits are made by Castangia, which is as good as the brands you mentioned.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Agree with both of the above. Castangia cuts a great suit but Battistonis tend have very square, heavily padded, stiff shoulders

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aportnoy
Agree with both of the above. Castangia cuts a great suit but Battistonis tend have very square, heavily padded, stiff shoulders

Well, that would match my personality then
satisfied.gif

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think they are very well made. The few I've tried on have all been too long for me, and a little too boxy, but that could be because they were at Barneys. If the fit is good, I think you don't need to worry about the quality.

kcc

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with Duca Sartoria in Milan? NYC's mayor is a client ...

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well, I bought it, thoughts?

Thanks for the advice, considering the formality of the occasion, these are the shoulders are what I want.

battistonisuit9.JPG

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Another pic of the hand ticked sleeves, working buttons, and pockets:

battistonisuit2.JPG

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice. Doesn't look boxy to me. Where'd you pick it up?

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KObalto
Nice. Doesn't look boxy to me. Where'd you pick it up?

Ebay'd it.

The shoulders are a touch pointy but I dont mind that, its nice to have suits that fit differently. I like the level of waist suppression and the hand ticking around the collar, sleeves and pockets.

coverto

Reaction score
Battistonis are my favorite suit label, hands down - sadly under-distributed in the USA - RTW only available at Barneys to my knowledge (MTM at Saks) - somebody please correct me!

I think the conventional wisdom is that it's a notch below Kiton and Brioni, and just above Isaia. I think that's sometimes the case in terms of the fabric grades, although I think the construction quality and styling is first rate. Much better cut - on my body, at least - than Kiton or Brioni. Great fabrics and needlework, great interpretations by Castangia - the high button stance on their three-button jackets really pops.

In my experience, it's a bit much to call the shoulders "heavily padded" - they tend to be sharp, but I think frequently less so than Brioni, and they're nothing, for example, like Oxxford or RLPL, which I would call heavily padded. I own two suits and two sportscoats. Love them. They do tend to run long - I'm normally a long jacket but take the Battistoni regular, which is typically 33 inches from the top of the collar.

And yes, miraculous waist suppression. I hesitate to post all of this because I don't want the competition during markdown season.

Your suit looks fantastic. Congrats.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by coverto
Your suit looks fantastic. Congrats. How much did you pay?

Thanks.

It was virtually a give away at $600. Couldnt say no especially since I needed it. I was going to get a Kiton, Attolini or Brioni and was prepared to spend 2k but I fell in love with the pattern and decided that for the $$ I wasnt going to do better than this.

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree, its a beautiful suit. Any chance we could convince you to make it your avatar?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads