• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Battistoni bespoke?

Camp David

Reaction score
Hi,

I am going to Florence and Rome this summer and thought I would take the opportunity to visit at least one of Italy's shirt makers. Since I will be travelling on a rather tight schedule I sent an e-mail to Battistoni to inquire whether 3 days in Rome would be enough time to get a bespoke shirt done or at least to do the necessary fittings. However, according to the gentleman who replied to my e-mail they normally only do one fitting (please note that I specifically asked for their bespoke service). I was under the impression that bespoke shirt making always involved the creation of a trial shirt and hence there would be at least two fittings that would require me being there. Have I misunderstood the concept of bespoke shirt making or is Battistoni offering some other form of bespoke service?

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Freerider

Reaction score
Bespoke shirtmaking is:

- the making of an individual pattern
- one or more trial shirts for fitting

I know AK will disagree (because he does more than necessary for a bespoke label) but I don't think the trial shirt has to be made of muslin or the like. It is okay (like the Jermyn Street shirtmakers) to make the trial shirt from the chosen fabrics hoping that the trial shirt fits you or only needs slight adjustments.

Camp David

Reaction score
Thanks.

Even if Battistoni makes the trial shirt from the chosen fabrics and hopes that the trial shirt fits me how can they possibly know this without a second fitting? By saying that they "normally only do one fitting" do they mean that they will know at the first fitting whether a second fitting will be required?

kcc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Camp David
Thanks.

Even if Battistoni makes the trial shirt from the chosen fabrics and hopes that the trial shirt fits me how can they possibly know this without a second fitting? By saying that they "normally only do one fitting" do they mean that they will know at the first fitting whether a second fitting will be required?

You may want to consider Sig. Siviglia (Roma), within reason he'll conduct several trial shirts until your personalized pattern is completed. Not sure if there is a minimum order requirement.

Camp David

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kcc
You may want to consider Sig. Siviglia (Roma), within reason he'll conduct several trial shirts until your personalized pattern is completed. Not sure if there is a minimum order requirement.

According to their website there is a minimum order of 4 shirts. Do you know how much they charge per shirt? Also, given the size of their operations I assume that 3 days will not be enough for the necessary fittings?

kcc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Camp David
According to their website there is a minimum order of 4 shirts. Do you know how much they charge per shirt? Also, given the size of their operations I assume that 3 days will not be enough for the necessary fittings?

Time limitation? Well, phone Sig. Siviglia in advance, I found him most accomodating. Good luck.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads