1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Batman: Dark Knight Rises (movie thread)

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Jan 19, 2011.

1. WhoKnewI

WhoKnewI Senior member

It was something like that, but it didn't come across at all because the cops didn't look at all worn down and because the final act felt a tad rushed versus the actual time/space of the story.

I think it's fair to criticize the faults of this film. Having said that, I really enjoyed it despite all of its shortcomings. I mean hell, Danny Boyle's Sunshine is my favorite film and that movie falls apart in the third act too.

I left the theater a tad underwhelmed, but also emotionally satisfied. This film has the strongest emotional core in the trilogy, so despite the narrative having some flaws, I think that's worth something. Plus, it's fucking Batman without nipples on the batsuit.

2. limping_decorum

limping_decorum Senior member

enjoyed it a lot more than the avengers.

1 person likes this.
  3. deadly7

deadly7 Senior member

This is taken straight out of Knightfall. Batman never believes 'Bane' is the main villain and he instead focuses on the others, etc etc.

My response to the film:
    1. I knew going into it Tom Hardy's Bane mask would be hard to understand. I'd say I caught about 70% of what he said. There were some key words and scenes where it's just so poorly done. Even Bale's Batman growl I couldn't understand in those scenes, and I've understood everything he said in BB/TDK immediately. This was, in my eyes, the biggest flaw of the film - the sound mixing.
    2. On the Bane reinvention: it was definitely a unique way to tie together him and Talia. I'm not hurt by it, not thrilled by it. I like the Knightfall version of Bane that was an evil genius, but his affiliation with the League of Shadows was also worthwhile and a good way to sidestep the mess of breaking open Arkham.
    3. The ending was mostly what I expected with what Alfred alluded to earlier. I'm curious to see a Batpod escape in viewing #2.
    4. I loved the Batpod, fuck that thing was awesome.
    5. Anne Hathaway was probably the most bangable I've ever seen her.
    6. The story did seem too rushed. The time span (5 months of the bomb) flew by while the last 18 hours (i.e. Gordon's defense) took an hour. This could have been handled better, but there were still transition states showing winter etc.
    7. I was looking for more out of the supporting roles, but I guess they weren't asked to do a whole lot. I just like Morgan Freeman and Michael Caine a lot, I guess. They had awesome banter with Christian Bale in previous films.
    8. I loved the references to old movies, things in the comic books, etc. They were fun.
    9. The back-breaking scene was just amazing, almost exactly like I imagined it. Tom Hardy is a beast.
    Overall 8.5/10. TDK I considered the perfect 10, BB and this were tied. I'll be seeing TDKR again for sure, probably in the coming days.

4. ken

ken Senior member

I don't know about that. In all the photos I've seen of him on-set, pre-makeup (i.e. his tattoos were showing), he looks a lot smaller than he does in the movie. I have a feeling it was a mixture of makeup and camera technique.

Not to say he didn't use something to bulk up. I did hear he gained ~30 lbs. for the shoot, and, yeah, lots of actors use gear to do that.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2012
  5. darkknight

darkknight Senior member

one more thing, i noticed in BB the scenes had a warm/orange tint to the screen, while TDK had a blueish tint. but the white balance in this movie was much more natural. it worked great for some scenes, but overall it took away from that feeling i've been used to from the previous two movies.

6. gort

gort Senior member

We never saw this! :satisfied:

[​IMG]

Also I noticed this during the second viewing:

When talia was telling bane's story there was a tear under bane's eye.

7. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

There was also a tear when Talia said goodbye to him.

Hardy really brought Bane to life just with his eyes.

And yeah that pic was posted like a year ago. :lol:

8. gort

gort Senior member

No I meant that never appeared in the movie, I wasn't posting a year old photo as if you guys hadn't seen it. :hide:

9. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

That was when he was fighting Bane. Obviously that is a pic from a different angle and from far away so we wouldn't see it from that view.

10. gort

gort Senior member

I think you're just trolling me now. All I am saying is he never yelled into a microphone in the movie during that sequence. I brought it up because when that pic first surfaced everyone was wondering wtf he was doing.

11. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

Yes noticed this as well.
    Bane had literally served as her father figure in the absence of Liam Neeson. That was one plot hole I didn't get - Talia despised her father for kicking Bane out of the League, and yet wanted to fulfill his will in destroying Gotham?

12. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

To show that she could do what her father couldn't proving that she is better than him.

13. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

Suppose that makes sense.

14. WhoKnewI

WhoKnewI Senior member

would have been better
    if that was bane's motivation, not talia's

15. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

No point in having Talia in the film if that were the case.

16. darkknight

darkknight Senior member

she said she wanted vengeance against the man who killed her father, and in the end she said she fulfilled her father's destiny, so i don't think it was to prove that she was better than him. the despising her father thing was probably temporary. even bane said he came to finish what ras started. so they both had respect for him.

17. WhoKnewI

WhoKnewI Senior member

That's the point. she was unnecessary. one of the rules of screenwriting is that if you can get rid of a character, do it.

18. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

She was necessary though.

19. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

The way she talked about Ra's, she seemed really mad at him, she definitely had father issues too.

20. WhoKnewI

WhoKnewI Senior member

why?
    remove her and give those motivations to Bane and the movie becomes a little bit better. Her reveal is cheap and turns Bane into a henchman, albeit a brutal one. also, with her gone, less need for clunky exposition which is always a plus.