• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, youโ€™ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Batman: Dark Knight Rises (movie thread)

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

When's the last time you watched it? I am willing to bet it won't hold up the same way to you now.

I got a dvd. I also watch it knowing there's a campy feel to it.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like Tim Burtons Batman films and I feel the same way about it as I did back then and rank it just below TDK for the best Batman films. I don't find it campy at all either unlike Schumachers versions.

Imhoff

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
My list of favorite to least favorite Batman films:

1. The Dark Knight - A rare occurance where the sequel actually betters the first installments' story.
2. Batman Begins - First saw this with some hesitation, but after first viewing, opinion quickly did a 180.
3. Batman (1989) - I watched this on VHS non-stop as a kid. A really dark film. And loved Jack as the Joker.
3. Batman Returns - They hype behind this film was ridiculously high. Good installment, but more "campy" compared to Batman by Burton. Also, I remember having all the action toys from McDonald's as a child.
4. Batman Forever - Val did a good job as Bruce/Batman. Jim Carrey was not awful as Riddler. But overall feel of movie was corny.
5. Batman (1966) - I only saw this decades after its release. THE definition of camp. Shark repellent!?!
6. Batman And Robin - I'd like to think this movie never existed.

Last edited:

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I like Tim Burtons Batman films and I feel the same way about it as I did back then and rank it just below TDK for the best Batman films. I don't find it campy at all either unlike Schumachers versions.

+1

I don't understand how people can praise the Nolan films like the second coming while trashing the first two Batman movies (this is coming from someone whose fav is Begins btw). Yes, the former is grittier, darker, more realistic, etc. But ultimately, these are movies based on a comic book about a guy who dresses up as a bat. Come on.

Last edited:

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I like the original, but you don't find Joker pulling a giant revolver out of his pants campy in the least?

Last edited:

Anthony K

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
โ€˜The Dark Knight Risesโ€™ trailer #3 is complete, coming soon to a theater near you

Posted by Chris on April 19, 2012 | The Dark Knight Rises | Trailer

One of the most frequent questions I get via email, Twitter, and Facebook is โ€œwhenโ€™s The Dark Knight Rises trailer #3 coming out?โ€. My reply has always been โ€œsometime in Mayโ€, judging by the timeline The Dark Knight was on. Well now May is almost here, and we have confirmation that trailer #3 is indeed coming. In fact, itโ€™s already been put together!

The news comes from Claudio Serrano, the Spanish actor in charge of dubbing Christian Baleโ€™s voice in The Dark Knight Rises trailer #3. Serrano tweeted about the job last night, and again today after stepping out of the recording booth. Serranoโ€™s tweets are in Spanish, but his comment from today translates to โ€œI can only say that the TDKR trailer 3 is โ€ฆ WOW!!โ€

Before todayโ€™s news, the internet was buzzing over which movie might have trailer #3 attached to it. It seems we have two logical choicesโ€ฆ The Avengers, which hits theaters on May 4th, or Dark Shadows which is due out May 11th. Either way, I think itโ€™s safe to assume weโ€™re getting The Dark Knight Rises trailer #3 within the next 3 weeks. Stay tuned to Batman-News.com, Iโ€™ll have the trailer posted in HD the minute it hits the internet!

PS. Donโ€™t forget that Warner Bros. is attending CinemaCon next week. Theyโ€™re scheduled to bring something from The Dark Knight Rises, could it be trailer #3?​

Can't wait to see it.

Matto ELITE

Reaction score
Surprised they haven't turned up the jets on viral stuff yet. I have feeling it will be a full court press on marketing after The Avengers is released

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Surprised they haven't turned up the jets on viral stuff yet. I have feeling it will be a full court press on marketing after The Avengers is released

I'm not sure they will (at least not on the level Dark Knight had), the audience for this is already there and it's coming out relatively unchallenged on July 20th.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

My list of favorite to least favorite Batman films:
1. The Dark Knight - A rare occurance where the sequel actually betters the first installments' story.
2. Batman Begins - First saw this with some hesitation, but after first viewing, opinion quickly did a 180.
3. Batman (1989) - I watched this on VHS non-stop as a kid. A really dark film. And loved Jack as the Joker.
3. Batman Returns - They hype behind this film was ridiculously high. Good installment, but more "campy" compared to Batman by Burton. Also, I remember having all the action toys from McDonald's as a child.
4. Batman Forever - Val did a good job as Bruce/Batman. Jim Carrey was not awful as Riddler. But overall feel of movie was corny.
5. Batman (1966) - I only saw this decades after its release. THE definition of camp. Shark repellent!?!
6. Batman And Robin - I'd like to think this movie never existed.

re: batman forever- and nicole kidman was hot in that movie.

re: batman and robin - 'tis imo something that never existed in the franchise, like how disney makes straight-to-dvd sequels for little mermaid, lion king, etc... also like how godfather 3 never existed in my world.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I like the original, but you don't find Joker pulling a giant revolver out of his pants campy in the least?

I think it's worth mentioning that the Batman franchise didn't 'mature' into its current form until DC Comics -- following Marvel's and Image's leads -- changed their classic characters to be grittier. I mean, compare Spiderman from the 1970's to its modern form. Batman, Superman, etc. were no different.

I personally prefer the Tim Burton Batman films. Nicholson was the best Joker and, as Neo said, it's hard to take a movie seriously about a guy who fights crime as a bat and has airplanes and cars styled as such. If Batman hadn't passed so far into pop culture, Batman Begins and The Dark Knight would look absolutely ridiculous (and to me they still do at times, but that may be because of Christian Bale).

pseudonym

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Funny you should say that, because Trailer #3 is attached to The Avengers.

Smart move by WB.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
TDK trailer was shown during Iron-Mans opening too. It's nothing new.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I think it's worth mentioning that the Batman franchise didn't 'mature' into its current form until DC Comics -- following Marvel's and Image's leads -- changed their classic characters to be grittier. I mean, compare Spiderman from the 1970's to its modern form. Batman, Superman, etc. were no different.

Batman started out a very dark character in many ways. He even carried a gun at first.

While he did have his lighthearted years, he has not been so for a while. The trend towards the modern "darker" take actually started well before the classic graphic novel Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller and certainly before Image comics was established in the early 90's.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads