1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Batman: Dark Knight Rises (movie thread)

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Jan 19, 2011.

1. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

+1 with Neo. If Snyder diverted away from the Watchmen story, he would have been crucified. He already got plenty of shit when he didn't include the giant squid. :lol: He really didn't have a choice in the matter and I still think he did a great job considering he had to make it all fit into one film.

I'm still not convinced Gordon was talking to Bruce in that clip. It makes sense but unless Gordon finds out who Bats really is, it just doesn't seem like it would make sense for them to have such a conversation.

2. Saturdays

Saturdays Senior member

I really want to know if Nolan is going to include the 'venom' aspect of Bane at all.

I would like for this to end on the note of Bruce leaving the cape behind at the end.

I have an awesome idea for a follow up film based on BRuce returning to being Batman 20-25 years later and dealing with Damien Wayne, Riddler, and Hush.

3. Anthony K

Anthony K Senior member

I could be wrong, and I've listened clesely to the part several times. To me it sounds like Gordon is saying at first, "we were in this together and then you were gone." And it definitely sounds like Bruce saying, "what if he doesn't exist, anymore?" So it beats the hell out of me as to who he is talking to.

Here's the 1080p HD trailer
    [VIDEO][/VIDEO]

4. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

^ ^ ^
    It could just be spliced together? He could be talking to Batman and they just spliced Bruce's line in there?

I don't know, if you really think about it, Venom is just steroids, seems pretty realistic but I too am curious if Nolan includes it in the film. I surely hope so since w/o venom it'll be like Batman w/o a batarang or grappling hook.

5. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

yes but he did stay pretty close to the comics which is why i question whether he will stick closely to knightfall

6. Anthony K

Anthony K Senior member

I was thinking that as well (the splicing of the dialogue).

As far as Venom goes, instead of the pump hooked up to him, and sticking to the realism factor, maybe, Venom is in needle form and Bane shoots it up?

7. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

I disagree, and the best example is V for Vendetta, which while excellent drops and modifies many aspects of the graphic novel. While Watchmen stayed a lot closer to the graphic novel, you have to admit that each individual Batman 'story arc' Such as Knightfall or Batman: Year One or The Dark Knight Returns can be followed and are just as engaging and full of far richer history (dating back to May '39) and just as complex characters.

8. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

Your argument would make more sense if the Nolan films were direct adaptations of said arcs which they are not. Watchmen and V for Vendetta -- while making changes to the books -- still follow the plots of their novels quite closely. The Batman movies by Nolan have always taken elements from different stories but the films themselves have their own unique narrative.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  9. Saturdays

Saturdays Senior member

Yeah I'm not either. Especially since its a teaser and that most trailers are mashups of different parts of the movies only to convey messages and themes.

10. origenesprit

origenesprit Senior member

Could be Dent he's talking to. That would be my guess.

11. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

But he dead...

12. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Um, I think you misunderstand my point... my point is that people are expecting Nolan to Follow Knightfall... and I'm stating that Nolan might use elements from it as a basis, but won't stick to that story, unlike Watchmen or V for Vendetta.

13. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Unless Ra's put him in the Lazarus Pit! :tinfoil:

14. Neo_Version 7

While Knightfall is arguably the definitive Bane arc, I don't see Nolan following it as much as fans might think -- after all, he has Batman's return to deal with, the introduction of Selina Kyle, Ra's it looks like, and not to mention the newbie characters played by Gordon-Levitt, Cotillard, etc. It pretty much is speculation at this point but I've never found Nolan to have much difficulty juggling multiple arcs in one film so whatever route he takes , I'm sure it won't end up Spider-Man 3-ish.

15. Neo_Version 7

And please no Lazarus Pit. I'd rather have him be a clone or something.

16. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

If that happened talk about a disappointment. I wonder how long TDKR is going to be.

17. jaychiz

jaychiz Senior member

i've never seen it, 39% rotten tomatoes doesn't convince me, similar example in a better movie?

18. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

You didn't mention a movie, you mentioned an actor. Ed Norton was praised for his role... and the only time his mask is off is when he is dead. I like the movie, but you have to watch the directors cut... the theater version is WAY too cut down.

19. Saturdays

Saturdays Senior member

+1 for directors cut. This was a great movie.

20. origenesprit

origenesprit Senior member

I never bought that.