• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Batman: Dark Knight Rises (movie thread)

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Look, if you're watching a movie about a super hero you need to let some stuff go. Otherwise I hope you complain that batman's hook gun (or any of his other toys) isn't realistic, etc, etc. Two-face walking around? I can get people citing continuity errors or something not being fully explained but to nitpick something as being far fetched is part of watching a movie about a guy in a bat costume, just like you can't expect anything in an Iron Man, Thor, or Captain America movie to be realistic.
Jesus.

Let it be said that the only thing I bitched about was the vertebrae. That was just too ridiculous, even for me.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anyone else notice that:

- The climax of The Avengers centers on a fusion bomb ready to explode in New York. Billionaire superhero risk his life to dispose of the bomb, but comes out okay.
- The climax of TDKR centers on a fusion bomb ready to explode in Gotham. Billionaire superhero risk his life to dispose of the bomb, but comes out okay.

The movies were produced independently by rival studios, but still a curious similarity

Last edited:

pseudonym

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rambo, lucky for you, WB will probably reboot Batman sooner than later.

And what didn't you like about the vertebrae part? We just needed to be shown that Bruce was broken down into a corpse (essentially) and then had to get out of sheer determination and will. I think everybody would agree that there was no (realistic) way for him to recover in 3-5 months.

But maybe I'm biased because Bruce's 3rd attempt and subsequent escape were my favorite parts of the film.

Last edited:

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Because I'm a huge nerd and loves me some Batman. And I hold out hope that maybe, just maybe, I'll like this one as opposed to the others that came before it. And seeing a movie like this, with all its spectacle and grandeur, it only worth seeing in the theaters. If it was The Spirit 2 I would have just downloaded a CAM version from the intertubes. (Another Frank Miller abortion).
There's a difference between this and your Twilight analogy: I loved the Batman books (most of them. I'm not that much of a Frank Miller fan, which lends some basis to why I haven't been a big fan of Nolan's movies.)

Don't be butthurt Maus. I still <3 you.

No one is butthurt here. You are still my bud. I just think you are exerting a large amount of time, energy and money letting people know you didn't enjoy a film you already knew you wouldn't like. I find that odd.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
For anyone who hasn't seen the movie yet, here is the "leaked" ending :lol:

Last edited:

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Also Rambo, I have always liked Superman as a character and enjoyed many of his comics. Thing is I tried to enjoy Smallville and couldn't. Just wasn't my thing. Never cared for it in the slightest. Quickly gave up on the show. Never to return.

I didn't continue to watch it. I didn't spend cash on it. I certainly didn't hang out on Smallville message board threads letting them all know how ****** each new episode was. That's all I am trying to get across.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I think it was implied JGL will be the new batman, otherwise why would the bat signal have been restored instead of a different signal?

Either Batman,Nightwing or Robin. Just saying it's unlikely that there will be a "reboot." It will probably be a "continuation" of the Nolanverse. (A reboot would require that the events of these past three movies never happened)

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It won't be a continuation of the Nolanverse. While they may not reboot, they'll likely just try and ignore the events in Nolanverse and go from there so they do not have to do another origin story. The next Batman film will have to work with the Superman film that will eventually lead to a JLA film.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

It won't be a continuation of the Nolanverse. While they may not reboot, they'll likely just try and ignore the events in Nolanverse and go from there so they do not have to do another origin story. The next Batman film will have to work with the Superman film that will eventually lead to a JLA film.

You think DC is going to walk away from a chance to do an original trilogy with Joseph Gordon Levitt in the lead role? That would be a sure thing box office hit. Would boost the amount of women seeing the movies throwing their panties at JGL in the audience.

Also, DC has no master plan to bring together the Justice League. Marvel announced that well ahead of Iron Man and Hulk 2. I'm skeptical.

Last edited:

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They do have a plan for JL, JMrouse and I were discussing it here or the Avengers thread a few months ago. The Avengers success really fueled the fire for the project again. At ComicCon, Snyder said that they are trying to get the SUperman house built and then they'd talk about the JLA. There are already reports of scripts for WW and Flash scripts and even a JL writer has been hired. GL2 film was already confirmed right when GL1 came out. So they are taking strides and trust me, if Man of Steel is a bigger hit than Superman Returns (shouldn't be a big hurdle) then a move to JL film will be sprinting to the finish line.

To be honest, JGL isn't a good look for Bruce Wayne. He just isn't as well built as Bale, he is scrawny and frail by Bale/Hardy standards.

And no one would really want to see a Batman film where Bruce Wayne isn't Batman, especially if Batman will be a guy purely a made up character for the film. Batman is a franchise and Bruce is and will always be Batman, you just can't do a film if he isn't Batman.

I'd rather they start fresh and forget about the Nolanverse. Plus w/o Nolan, this world wouldn't be the same and people aren't going to watch w/o Nolan writing and directing, well at least not as much of a hit as TDK and TDKR.

As much as DC/WB want to capitalize on Nolans success, it just won't work and fall fall on it's face.

Last edited:

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has Nolan 100% denied that he could be tempted back if they did want to incorporate nolanverse into Justice League planning? I would think the fact that he's one of the main producers on Man of Steel might just show some bigger intentions and continuity issues being sorted out...?

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Has Nolan 100% denied that he could be tempted back if they did want to incorporate nolanverse into Justice League planning? I would think the fact that he's one of the main producers on Man of Steel might just show some bigger intentions and continuity issues being sorted out...?

Could be a money thing. Or he's doing the studio a favor so that they produce another one of his original films. (Inception, Prestige, etc)

I wouldn't read much into that. Purely business.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads