• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bata shoes

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yes, as gifts to colleagues and bosses you hate.

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When you are in the bush in Africa.

They were about the only shoe shops around.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by koolhistorian
Are they good for something?

"Absolutely nothing".
smile.gif

OK, I just couldn't resist the line. But based on the pics I can google up, I suspect it's accurate, too.

Cheap I guess, unattractive certainly, disposable probably. If that's what you want, drive through the red light district.
rimshot.gif

John Ellis

Reaction score
Bata has a fascinating history. It was founded in Czechoslovakia when it was still part of the Hapsburg Monarchy before the first world war. The founder Tomas Bata was a model employer way ahead of his time a bit like Cadbury in Britain who built model homes for his employees, provided company healthcare etc. By the mid thirties it had become a worldwide enterprise but of course they had to leave in 1938 when the man with a moustache arrived. I had some contact with the company in the early seventies, they made cheap footwear for the mass market, they were big into injection moulded soles as I recall. The management style was incredibly arrogant and there were alway little turf wars going on in the company.

S

sdfas5342

Originally Posted by John Ellis
Bata has a fascinating history. It was founded in Czechoslovakia when it was still part of the Hapsburg Monarchy before the first world war. The founder Tomas Bata was a model employer way ahead of his time a bit like Cadbury in Britain who built model homes for his employees, provided company healthcare etc. By the mid thirties it had become a worldwide enterprise but of course they had to leave in 1938 when the man with a moustache arrived. I had some contact with the company in the early seventies, they made cheap footwear for the mass market, they were big into injection moulded soles as I recall. The management style was incredibly arrogant and there were alway little turf wars going on in the company.
Also he proposed the plan to the Nazi germany to send all slavic people to Patagonia...

John Ellis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cluster2600
Also he proposed the plan to the Nazi germany to send all slavic people to Patagonia...

Faced with the Reichschancellor all kinds of people proposed all kinds of crazy things. As someone once said, Neville Chamberlain never met anyone quite like Hitler in Birmingham. No doubt Tomas Bata like a lot of other self made tycoons wasn't immune to the belief he could make a deal with Hitler.

phillys

Reaction score
We have so much it here and they are generally pretty bad in quality and are unreliable shoes.

Some people call BATA = Buy And Throw Away shoes.

Gipper40

Reaction score
I did some investment advisory work for them and met Mr. Bata in Prague--he got a hero's welcome and people lined the streets of Wecelas Square cheering him on upon his return. He was ahead of his time as an innovator of mass produced footwear. He also was amazingly progressive-for example, his then-state of the art factory in '38, located in Zlin, Moravia, had his office ON AN ELEVATOR that would spend the day on any one of the 5 or 6 levels of his operation, ie one day his office would open up in Marketing, the next, in Production. Maybe we need more of that "hands on appraoch " from our own CEOs. Not even a little man with a funny moustache could keep this man down for long.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics