• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Basted Shoulders/Sleeves on PRL Suit?? Working Buttonholes??

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just bought this suit which appears to have basted shoulders and sleeves:

I found what appears to be the same suit for sale by topshelfapparel which doesn't have this and the sleeve buttons are already affixed (which is how all of my other ones came):

What gives?? :confused:

Last edited:

jeff13007

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
were all your other ones ready for working sleeve buttons? Maybe its a new thing PRL is trying to do to seem higher end?

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Every other one I had/have came with the buttons already sewn on the sleeves except the Jerome blue label models which came with the sleeves and shoulders basted. I can't figure it out.

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most polo ralph lauren suits come with the buttons attached and the sleeves basted. The only time I could see them not having the buttons attached would be if the fabric would show if they were moved.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure if I follow. Also, all of the ones I have bought have had the price tag attached inside the sleeve. On this one it seems that the tag hung outside the sleeve.

Also, whatup with the white thread on the shoulder?

jeff13007

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not sure if I follow. Also, all of the ones I have bought have had the price tag attached inside the sleeve. On this one it seems that the tag hung outside the sleeve.
Also, whatup with the white thread on the shoulder?

Wait now you lost me. Are you asking why PRL is doing this all of a sudden or are you asking why the thread is there in the first place? If its the latter then its because for the sleeves its to hold it together until you take it to a tailor to have working sleeve buttons put in so its not flopping about since the sleeve is technically open. And for the shoulders its there to help keep the shape while its on the store racks. If you are asking about why PRL is doing this all of a sudden my guess is that they are trying to be more high end.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since I have never seen this before I'm asking if maybe the suit I purchased perhaps had some alterations done or was a MTO that wasn't retrieved? I have never seen any of this on the OTR suits.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK so the suit just arrived. ZOMG it it AWESOME!! The sleeves are indeed basted and ready for working cuffs to be installed ( the lining is sewn in correctly to accept surgeon cuffs). I must say I have never seen this on any of the mainline PRL suits and must be the start of something great. First the higher armholes, then the slimmer cuts, now this. I am so excited and happy at this point to have stuck with them thru it all.

I will take a closer look at construction (not going to cut it open ala jefferyd) to see if they are now offering a full floating chest canvas. Stay tuned.

Last edited:

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

to see if they are now offering a full floating chest canvas. Stay tuned.

All chest pieces are floating. There is no such thing as a non-floating chest piece.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

All chest pieces are floating. There is no such thing as a non-floating chest piece.

Got it. Maybe I meant the canvas lapel roll or whatever it is that they were offering as part of the half-canvas job.

Have you ever seen this on a PRL suit? Do you happen to have any intel on what direction, if any, they are going with this?

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Some stores request that the suits be shipped to them with basting thread intact on the shoulder or pockets or sleeves. They also request that the buttons be sewn on or not and presented in a bag in the pocket. Some stores do not request these details. It's based on the store owner or buyer's point of view about presentation of the suit on the hanger. Nothing to tell here beyond presentation and so called marketing.

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Got it. Maybe I meant the canvas lapel roll or whatever it is that they were offering as part of the half-canvas job.
Have you ever seen this on a PRL suit? Do you happen to have any intel on what direction, if any, they are going with this?

If it's half canvas, then it definitely has canvas in the lapel. Go find that thread and get studying.

It's a long time since I looked at a PRL garment; it's not uncommon for manufacturers to modify features of the garment from season to season.

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

All Polo suits and sport coats are half-canvassed. Black Label and Purple Label are full. Jeffery is not fond of Polo suiting. For me, however, they have one particular model/size that works for me so I have a bunch of them.

Last edited:

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Some stores request that the suits be shipped to them with basting thread intact on the shoulder or pockets or sleeves. They also request that the buttons be sewn on or not and presented in a bag in the pocket. Some stores do not request these details. It's based on the store owner or buyer's point of view about presentation of the suit on the hanger. Nothing to tell here beyond presentation and so called marketing.

Thank you. I can't tell you how much I appreciate your and jd's input here. Please see my question/response below...

If it's half canvas, then it definitely has canvas in the lapel. Go find that thread and get studying.
It's a long time since I looked at a PRL garment; it's not uncommon for manufacturers to modify features of the garment from season to season.

I have read that thread infinitely and just so you are aware, I'm not caught up in the half/full canvas thing as some are around here. I settled on PRL suits (even after trying RLPL) because I like the way they fit OTR and they fulfill my needs in a suit. (I hope that didn't come across wrong).

Now then, I have always known PRL suits to be half canvas after the made in the USA period and am cool with that. I just don't get why (Despos, here:) they would offer sleeves ready to accept functioning cuff buttons on these suits (Bradford model, I have another Bradford for sale in my sig if you need pic references) when they have never done that outside of their signature line (RLBL & RLPL excluded). I will snap a pic. I currently have 12 PRL suit coats hanging in my closet and while they all came with the sleeve buttons fastened with very nice shanks like they could function, the sleeve lining underneath says different.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads