• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Basted Shoulders/Sleeves on PRL Suit?? Working Buttonholes??

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here are some bad pics I just snapped (had a few drinks already :) )

Both are the Bradford model, the plaid one is the new one and the striped one is the one being replaced and for sale:

Last edited:

jeff13007

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't think to much into it, they probably just decided to do the sleeve lining to allow for working sleeve buttons. I mean this isn't necessarily a bad thing right? Its just too bad you weren't given the option with your older ones

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's just the thing, I've noticed changes over the years with their suits and am hoping they have started to move in a better direction. I hope someone here can validate that.

Thanks

Last edited:

jeff13007

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well seeing that you have been a customer of theirs for a long time and have owned same model but different year suits, wouldn't you be able to validate this?

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's a step in production that serves a purpose but after finishing and pressing, no.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well seeing that you have been a customer of theirs for a long time and have owned same model but different year suits, wouldn't you be able to validate this?

Not really except I can say that I have yet to see a suit like this at the mansion. Also, I took this pic a while ago with several of their older to more recent models:

The second one from the bottom is the signature line Jerome model that came ready for working cuffs (I didn't do it) however with this suit I'm thinking about it. I had a fifth buttonhole installed by that company in NYC that does buttonholes for $1 on two suits and it came out great. I'm thinking that was because she had 4 other holes to match her hole with and I guess I'm now wondering if I marked my jacket like this would it help/work:

Last edited:

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went to my local alterations tailor to have the pants cuffed and asked if he did buttonholes. After a like 2 minute conversation in Korean with another worker, presumably his son, he came back and told me it would be $6 per hole and would take a week. So this told me they would send the jacket out and so I opted to take the coat with me. Down to Jonathan's where I got all 8 holes done in like 2 minutes for $10. Sure they aren't as nice as some of the buttonholes I've seen on here done by hand but I couldn't care less.

Went across the street and bought a pencil and snips so I can sew on the buttons when I get home. Will post pics later.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For those who are interested, I decided to go ahead and sew the buttons on right away. I took these pics with my BB since I'm still in the office but I think they should suffice for now.

How they looked fresh off the machine:

All of the loose threads were on the outside. The inside was pretty clean.

After cleaning them up a bit with the snips:

One sleeve done:

Both:

Last edited:

jeff13007

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Glad it worked out for you! Wear it in good health!

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK so the suit just arrived. ZOMG it it AWESOME!! The sleeves are indeed basted and ready for working cuffs to be installed ( the lining is sewn in correctly to accept surgeon cuffs). I must say I have never seen this on any of the mainline PRL suits and must be the start of something great. First the higher armholes, then the slimmer cuts, now this. I am so excited and happy at this point to have stuck with them thru it all.
I will take a closer look at construction (not going to cut it open ala jefferyd) to see if they are now offering a full floating chest canvas. Stay tuned.

All chest pieces are floating. There is no such thing as a non-floating chest piece.

LOL!!!!!!

Last edited:

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got it. Maybe I meant the canvas lapel roll or whatever it is that they were offering as part of the half-canvas job.
Have you ever seen this on a PRL suit? Do you happen to have any intel on what direction, if any, they are going with this?
I'm curious to know what you paid for said half-canvass suit.
Some stores request that the suits be shipped to them with basting thread intact on the shoulder or pockets or sleeves. They also request that the buttons be sewn on or not and presented in a bag in the pocket. Some stores do not request these details. It's based on the store owner or buyer's point of view about presentation of the suit on the hanger. Nothing to tell here beyond presentation and so called marketing.
Agreed. A few years ago, I saw JAB suits that had the thread.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Some stores request that the suits be shipped to them with basting thread intact on the shoulder or pockets or sleeves. They also request that the buttons be sewn on or not and presented in a bag in the pocket. Some stores do not request these details. It's based on the store owner or buyer's point of view about presentation of the suit on the hanger. Nothing to tell here beyond presentation and so called marketing.

Curious about this. Wouldn't sewing the lining to accept working buttonholes mean more work? If not, then why not do it on all of their suits is they wished to command a higher price and seem "high end"?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics