• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bass Weejun Dover

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the March GQ, the New Bass Weejun - The Dover - is featured. I don't always go by what this magazine, or its advertisers, tell me to do, but this caught my eye because I used to wear Bass Weejuns all the time in prep school and college. They would last a long time with fairly constant wear and I could have them re-soled several times. After college I noticed a serious drop in quality (I believe they were no longer made in Maine for one thing), and I graduated to cap toes and wing tips when I traded in my blue blazer and khakis for suits.

My question is: Is this new Weejun any good? I know Weejuns were never of very high quality to begin with; and I am sure many of you will weigh in with a much better and much higher priced alternative; and some will simply have to say how much they hate loafers, or feel they are too casual or whatever; but at $125 (full retail I believe) would this be a sturdy, workhorse loafer.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Have they gone back to making them in the United States? I was a big fan of Bass in the early 90s then yeah they started going the direction where brands like Rockport, Timberland and Dexter are now in and Bass concentrated more on churning out awful looking outdoor shoes instead of evolving their old line- until now that is. I'm also (slightly) interested in what direction Bass is going to.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I doubt they are made in the US, but I don't know. I have been looking for decent loafers that are "just like Bass Weejuns" for a while now. If Bass has a better Weejun, I want to try it.

huskyzealot

Reaction score
Originally Posted by porcelain monkey
I doubt they are made in the US, but I don't know. I have been looking for decent loafers that are "just like Bass Weejuns" for a while now. If Bass has a better Weejun, I want to try it.

Per endless they are made in Brazil. I would be interested in finding out what people think of these. I too have wanted to give Bass Weejuns a try but have been scared away by peoples claims of lousy quality. I also am unsure if I would grab the Dovers or Larsons.

http://www.endless.com/Bass-Mens-Dov...ands=undefined

69clyde

Reaction score
Originally Posted by porcelain monkey
In the March GQ, the New Bass Weejun - The Dover - is featured. I don't always go by what this magazine, or its advertisers, tell me to do, but this caught my eye because I used to wear Bass Weejuns all the time in prep school and college. They would last a long time with fairly constant wear and I could have them re-soled several times. After college I noticed a serious drop in quality (I believe they were no longer made in Maine for one thing), and I graduated to cap toes and wing tips when I traded in my blue blazer and khakis for suits.

My question is: Is this new Weejun any good? I know Weejuns were never of very high quality to begin with; and I am sure many of you will weigh in with a much better and much higher priced alternative; and some will simply have to say how much they hate loafers, or feel they are too casual or whatever; but at $125 (full retail I believe) would this be a sturdy, workhorse loafer.

I have a pair that I use as beater shoes; quick run to the store or a very casual outfit and I am very happy. They take a good shine and as stated, very durable. I don't dress them up, because I don't believe they can be. Mine are made in El Salvador.

huskyzealot

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 69clyde
I have a pair that I use as beater shoes; quick run to the store or a very casual outfit and I am very happy. They take a good shine and as stated, very durable. I don't dress them up, because I don't believe they can be. Mine are made in El Salvador.

What color did you pick up?

uwsmuseumguy

Reaction score
i've seen them in person and while they look fine, i was a bit concerned by the sole. they have a two piece(leather framing a non-skid rubber inner-piece) which would seem to make resoling them a bit of a chore.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The picture looks like corrected grain - can anyone comment on that? I've been looking for an inexpensive loafer in this style but I don't want CG.

CBtoNYC

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
The picture looks like corrected grain - can anyone comment on that? I've been looking for an inexpensive loafer in this style but I don't want CG.

Current Bass loafers (Dover, Larson, all of them) are indeed corrected grain. Pity.

airportlobby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat, Baron. I tried the Larsons, like the fit and look, but just can't get with the leather. First quality are only 50-65 or so at Bass outlets. Even at that price, I can't justify buying shoes made from such ugly leather.

Have they always had this plasticky sheen, even in their heyday?

Clay Easton

Reaction score
Here is an amazingly dumb question:

what is "corrected grain"?

Thanks

Eustace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by airportlobby
I'm in the same boat, Baron. I tried the Larsons, like the fit and look, but just can't get with the leather. First quality are only 50-65 or so at Bass outlets. Even at that price, I can't justify buying shoes made from such ugly leather.

Have they always had this plasticky sheen, even in their heyday?

The sole is worse than the upper IMO. They're plasticky synthetic material and they're slippery as hell. I got them with a BR gift card, and I don't mind them for casual wear, but certainly wouldn't spend $100 on them.

Working Stiff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would also be very interested in hearing more about cheap loafer options. I've been wearing these: http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...or=British-tan
and they've been just fine for me, but the soles are worn out. (I suspect that mine are corrected grain, but I don't know whether they have the "new, shiny finish" advertised for the current model. They're not beautiful, but the leather isn't too bad looking, either, I don't think.) I'm wondering whether it's worth resoling my current ones, or whether I should just buy something new. I am very poor, so I need something at the Bass price point.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CBtoNYC
Current Bass loafers (Dover, Larson, all of them) are indeed corrected grain. Pity.

WRONG. The Bass Logan penny loafer in Tan is full grain leather. Quite nice too...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads