• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Basketweave shoes for office wear?

unsuitable

Reaction score
Grenson Xaviers

GrensonXavier.PNG

Non in general, these particular shoes in brown. My question can I get away with these for casual office dress? As in: wool slacks, shirt, blazer. I have a full wardrobe with most all of the basics covered (some many times over).

I am sure they would work fine with khaki chinos but I am trying to justify them for a higher level of dress before I commit to buying a pair. Usually when I start to justify stuff to myself its time for a second (sane) opinion.

Thank you for your opinions (of all types).

mintchox

Reaction score
I think these are unsuitable for just about any occasion I can imagine. Perhaps someone else can enlighten.

jts287

Reaction score
I think those would work in a business casual setting. I dreamt of BV Intrecciato loafers in the past, but could never find my price.

unsuitable

Reaction score
I think these are unsuitable for just about any occasion I can imagine. Perhaps someone else can enlighten.

This is just exactly what I was afraid of. They seem a bit "neither fish nor fowl" to me too. I appreciate you all giving me your unvarnished opinions. Its nice to get reaction previews from a group that (might) represent what people around an office will think.

This may have all the disadvantages of faux lizard (or croc, ostrich, etc) without any of the breath-ability that an actual basket-weave might have (as I think they stamped). I wish I did not like the look of them.

The foot wants what the foot wants? Is that an expression?

unsuitable

Reaction score
I think those would work in a business casual setting. I dreamt of BV Intrecciato loafers in the past, but could never find my price.

I can absolutely see these with very casual attire. Example; I am on-site today at a company where the local employees routinely wear jeans to the office. I have on cotton stone trousers (RTW) and suede chukka boots. I struggle to dress down enough to be inconspicuous but still maintain some self-respect. Week to week I am in different locales with different clients who dress across a spectrum (an increasingly sloppy spectrum over the years).

I was at a large-ish trade show a few weeks ago in Florida. I was heartened to see so many suits (no ties and few pocket squares) - but I was taken aback at all the plastic shoes. Some with leather uppers, of course. But almost all with a plastic/faux rubber foot-bed and sole. Seeing all those (mostly good) suits with nice Italian lines ending in garbage footwear was sobering.

The Bottega Veneta Intrecciatos were unknown to me - they are pretty. Those shoes seem more "honestly casual" than my Xaviers - at least to me.

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of woven loafers theoretically coming from Carmina (theoretical because they haven't sent a shipping confirmation).

I will wear them to the office, but I routinely am in loafers with loafer socks at the office.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was recently waiting for a plane at the gate, wearing my handmade derby spectators of blue buffalo and tan calfskin, when a man approached and said, “I wish I could wear shoes like that.”

“Well of course you can,” I replied.

“No I couldn’t,” he said. “I’d need to lose ten pounds.”

It occurred to me the problem was not in fact his weight—at any rate he wasn’t a fat man—but self-confidence. Which in a way made him right: if you don’t think you can “get away” with wearing something, you can’t.

I have a pair of brown basketweaves from Buday in Budapest that I wear quite a lot. I no longer work in an office but would wear them even if I did.

However I would not wear stamped basket weaves, even to the newsstand.

unsuitable

Reaction score
I had a fellow at my firm years ago who rocked spectators routinely with absolute aplomb. I never felt it was my style but I admired the panache.

Do your basketweaves ever "whistle" with exhaled air with each step? (an absolutely unfounded fear I have).

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had a fellow at my firm years ago who rocked spectators routinely with absolute aplomb. I never felt it was my style but I admired the panache.

Do your basketweaves ever "whistle" with exhaled air with each step? (an absolutely unfounded fear I have).
Mine are whole leather under the basketweave. I suppose there are versions without that which would be nice in summer loafers...

unsuitable

Reaction score
Update: I may owe Grenson a big apology - those are not stamped. My mistake. They seem (upon inspection of a high-rez picture) to be a real weave wholecut.

unsuitable

Reaction score
Update #2:
I got a pair of those Grensons.

I wore them twice over the weekend. One wear was a country club function (not my normal crowd) with khakis and a blazer. The other wear was Sunday lunch out for TexMex. I probably will wear them to the office on a Friday sometime this Summer.

toplel

Reaction score
I'm very sympathetic to the "breathable shoe" idea. I wore these a couple of times ten years ago, I'm afraid they've inhabited my closet ever since :(

They were "cool", in one way at least.
YEzsa7r.jpg

Last edited:

unsuitable

Reaction score
I suppose there are few "new" ideas in footwear. At some point a gentleman is approaching sandals - and I don't want want to march across that Rubicon (SPQR pun intended).

I might wear them tomorrow - I have to pop in to a Client's office were "sloppy casual" is the norm (jean, tennis shoes, etc) for a meeting and I am tempted to wear them with some mustard chinos and a blue OCBD.
I will be in the Southwestern US - so hot. My new Grenson's are actually lined in calf and not really breathable.

unsuitable

Reaction score
Update:

I have worked this into the rotation (about 3 wears now). I wore them to a visit to "cubeland" (read: open concept office) at a company where business casual is interpreted as Dockers and Eccos. I paired them with some Bill's (in British Khaki) and a pair of cotton Pantherella socks. I felt just the right level of overdressed to be a credible Expert.
Trying to embed a picture of them. Apologies for sketchy lighting - that is what it looked like in RL.

Alpha11

Reaction score
When I saw the brand Eccos for footwear I was like anything you wear that are not made by them is good by me.

I cannot understand why men seem to always take the cheap way out on one of the MOST important additions to their wardrobe.

If you spend good money on a well made shoe it will payoff in the long run. Both your pocket book and feet will thank you for it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads