• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Basis for a good clothing collection?

nmulax

Reaction score
I've been at my job for almost 2 months, and need some help. I've never worked in a business/business casual environment before (used to work as a graphic designer), but am now in a marketing position where I'm meeting with clients throughout the week. At the same time, I'm 24 and still very involved in the design process, so I want to keep a stylish/younger edge to my wardrobe.

What are the key items to having a well rounded collection that can be built upon and provide the most "bang for your buck" in terms of useage?
I can't afford to spend a ton, and will likely have some items (especially suits and shirts) made by my tailor in Hong Kong. I'm 6'2" and 155lbs, and have a ***** of a time finding shirts that are long enough but slim enough for me.

I'll probably donate most of my existing dress shirts (from Express) since they don't fit well; and why would I wear them once I have clothing that fits properly.

With the items I won't keep out of the picture, I'm left with the following:
Charcoal 3-button slim suit
white shirt with french-cuffs
baby blue shirt
light grey shirt
black flat front pants from Express
dark grey flat front pants from Express
black Lacoste polo
heather Lacoste polo
black dress belt from Kenneth Cole
black laceups from Kenneth Cole
black dress boots from Kenneth Cole
black loafers from Aldo

Obviously there's much room for growth/improvement... what items should I start with? Everything from suits, shirts and pants, to belts and shoes.

sammy

Reaction score
First, I would reduce the amount of black you have in your wardrobe. Save it for the night clubs and funerals. Get yourself a navy blue blazer; a staple in any well dressed gentleman's closet. You can swap out the traditional gold buttons for horn ones if you don't like them. Next, a pair of black cap toe oxfords, and a pair of brown derbies. You can find good deals on quality brands like Allen Edmonds on eBay and Sierra Trading Post. At least one tie; perhaps burgundy to go with your suit and blazer. Throw in a few more white shirts (can't have enough white shirts). Add one pair of tan dress trousers. That should get you started. A small bit of advice when buying: buy less, but buy better quality. If it comes down to buying three pairs of Aldos or one pair of Allen Edmonds, definitely buy the AEs. One pair of Allen Edmonds will outlast all your Aldos and Kenneth Coles combined. That goes for the other items as well. Good luck!

nmulax

Reaction score
Thanks for the response.
I have the ties taken care of for now (own about 7-8, ranging from solids to striped, to paisley).
I'm figuring out the quality over quantity thing. As I said, I have maybe 10 dress shirts from Express and three that I had made in Hong Kong... guess which three are in my regular rotation.

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recommend the blue blazer as well. The one i recommend is a Trussini, 3 button blazer. Its the one i own (I'm 21). They are a decent price and the quality is similar to Canali and they have a great fit to them. This is one item i recommend you spend a little more for. Its something you can have for a long time and will get a ton of use out of it. I wear mine at least once a week. It comes with brushed metal button (kind of silver and grey). Looks a little more youthful but still very stylish. They run like Canalis in terms of a fit and run longer but are still slim. Most importantly find a good tailor For shoes AE new 8 last is a bit more youthful if AE can be considerd that. I recommend Magnanni. AE's will last a lifetime though if taken care of properly Again a decent price but there contemporary line is a bit more fashion forward. A lot of the shoes are dress shoes but can be done with jeans or casual pants as well. As for dress shirts you have some of the basics down. Maybe add some stripes to your wardrobe to give outfits a different look. White shirts and blue shirts are always good to have in numbers. Odd trousers are easy to find on ebay. Look into canali and Zanella. Zanella seems to be readily avaiable on ebay. Also look at ian daniels website. www.shopthefinest.com You can find good trousers that are going to be slimmer fitting for good prices around 100-150. Hes great and when dealing with him he has been extremely helpful. Buy items that you will like now and later though i did the cheaper items at first and now guess what got donated and i wish i would have spent the extra 50-100 on getting something that i like

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The colors are somber. Try some dark green (still rather somber) and also something with red, like maroon or burgundy. Also, tan, like another response suggested.

Patterns are needed, too, particularly if the body build is not the ideal. Stripes aren't so good for the tall, slim body, although they're okay on a shirt worn with a jacket. Checks work better.

Don't forget fabric variety. There is more to it than cotton and wool.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Get yourself a navy blue blazer; a staple in any well dressed gentleman's closet.
What color slacks would you recommend pairing with the navy blazer? Mine just sits there collecting dust, with my navy pinstripe suit getting most of the action.

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by javyn
What color slacks would you recommend pairing with the navy blazer? Mine just sits there collecting dust, with my navy pinstripe suit getting most of the action.

Light to medium gray, or tan.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pennglock
Light to medium gray, or tan.

The style force is strong in this one...
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads