• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Basic white shirt fit

Meikj

Reaction score
Hi.

I am looking for a basic white shirt. I am a very slim guy -- I usually buy XS clothing which is basically 36" at chest. All shirts I wear seem to create an awful 'bag' around the waist and such which I absolutely hate. For this reason I can't wear a shirt on it's own.

I have been looking at quite a selection of companies such as Charles Tyrwhitt, Hawes & Curtis, TM Lewin and a few others which are very similar. However, I'm receiving conflicting views on the fits of these shirts (people complaining of 'tent' like fits, and that the slim fits don't take much off, etc.). I would really like an ultra slim fitting shirt that would get rid of the 'baggyness' completely or to an extent that is decent.

Seems like I'm asking for a lot but this is my first time looking for proper shirts and you guys know your stuff! Thanks very much in return.

Dw3610wm

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Meikj
Hi.

I am looking for a basic white shirt. I am a very slim guy -- I usually buy XS clothing which is basically 36" at chest. All shirts I wear seem to create an awful 'bag' around the waist and such which I absolutely hate. For this reason I can't wear a shirt on it's own.

I have been looking at quite a selection of companies such as Charles Tyrwhitt, Hawes & Curtis, TM Lewin and a few others which are very similar. However, I'm receiving conflicting views on the fits of these shirts (people complaining of 'tent' like fits, and that the slim fits don't take much off, etc.). I would really like an ultra slim fitting shirt that would get rid of the 'baggyness' completely or to an extent that is decent.

Seems like I'm asking for a lot but this is my first time looking for proper shirts and you guys know your stuff! Thanks very much in return.

With the information I have boldened; You need to either get size 34 shirts, or made to measure. What is your budget?

BareSolid

Reaction score
Consider increasing the size of your meals until you are a 38 around the chest, this will give you many more options.

pendragon

Reaction score
Check out some of the more modern, younger shirt sources. Most of the ones you mention are catering to a middle-aged audience with associated middle-aged spread. Try Band of Outsiders, Brooks Bros. slim fit, or Kent Wang on this forum, etc.

level32

Reaction score
Are you looking for work shirts or more casual shirts?

I'd suggest you just go mtm if for work and BOO for casual shirts.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
OP, where are you located? Is this to wear untucked with jeans or formal business attire? Try Brooks Brothers extra slim fits

origenesprit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Charles Tyrwhitt 14.5 slim fit are pretty slim.

heli0x

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JelloLover
Get some Thom Browne shirts

a good option, except i dont hes ready to drop 500USD a shirt

Originally Posted by Master-Classter
OP, where are you located?

Is this to wear untucked with jeans or formal business attire?

Try Brooks Brothers extra slim fits

+1

Meikj

Reaction score
Didn't expect many replies, ouch. I ended up ordering a slim fit White shirt from tm lewin (14.5) totally unaware of all information posted. Seems like i've made the wrong decision!

I was going to buy Charles tyrwhitt shirt but someone said they fit like a tent, despite being slim fit. So I ended up disregarding them.

I guess I will need to experiment with the diff brands posted here to get a good feel of what fits me best. I just wanted a good quality, good fitting shirt for under £50.

Thanks for the replies, will take it all in.

Also, it was just for a formal tucked in White shirt that didn't fit like a tent.

I live in the uk/scotland.

columbia92

Reaction score
I would also recommend to go for moderntailor.... If you find one of those coupon out there you can buy a really nice fitted shirts for under your budget....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads