• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

basic tie colors/patterns for newbies

eddiecibrian

Reaction score
what colors and patterns should i get to create a versatile starting tie wardrobe? i saw some english laundry/ben sherman ties at the rack for around $15-20 a piece, they look decent since I am very new to tie patterns/colors, not sure what colors I should've chosen, I don't want to buy $185 ties just yet. thanks in advance

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

what colors and patterns should i get to create a versatile starting tie wardrobe? i saw some english laundry/ben sherman ties at the rack for around $15-20 a piece, they look decent since I am very new to tie patterns/colors, not sure what colors I should've chosen, I don't want to buy $185 ties just yet. thanks in advance

Look around WAYWRN and see what you like?

JohnnyLaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Keep it simple. Dark blue, grey, brown. Solids, basic stripes and a few subtle patterns/textures (grenadine, herringbone, dots, etc.). Maybe throw in a solid navy wool or cashmere. The simpler your ties, the fewer you can get away with owning.

You could get lucky at discount retailers but usually they stock the garish leftovers from department stores. You might want to keep an eye out for the next Drake's sale and get a couple then.

Last edited:

bullswin

Reaction score
In the long run, you'll be happier with a grenadine from Kent Wang ($75).

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Agree with bullswin. Although you can get a 4-fold grenadine, made to your desired dimensions, for only $5 more at $80 total from Sam Hober (highly recommended). How often do you need to wear a tie? And for what purpose? Is this for work, with a suit, or are you trying to start wearing ties casually, under a cardigan and the like? For the latter purpose, knit ties work well in my view, and can often be had for a nice price if you're patient and keep your eyes open a bit.

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

only for special occasions, work doesn't require a tie

There's really nothing more versatile than a navy grenadine. Especially if only wearing occasionally, so that you don't have to worry about great variety or wearing two days in a row which can be bad for the tie, you're much better off having 1 excellent navy grenadine than 4 $20 ties. I'd probably get a navy grenadine and then a "wedding tie" or macclesfield, such as this one:

http://www.kentwang.com/ties/shepherds-check.html

before moving on to others.

More generally:

-light-colored ties are difficult to wear IMHO
-thin stripes are somewhat difficult to pair with other patterns
-pin dots or "neats" are excellent as they are fine on their own, and also tend to pair well with check and stripe patterns that are common on shirts, suits, and jackets.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depends on the rest of your wardrobe.

Dark jackets / light shirts = medium ties.

Medium jackets / light shirts = dark ties.

(Medium and dark shirts are not versatile.)

By dark, medium, light, I mean lightness or value.

http://tinyurl.com/3hgsf62

If you only wear a tie with a blazer, you won't find a navy grenadine useful. A medium blue or green or yellow, or ties with stripes that are medium overall (dark/light stripes, or medium/medium stripes, etc.) would be more versatile ties for you.

If you only wear a tie with a suit, and all your suits are medium brown or gray plaids, you could wear a navy grenadine every day.

Wool ties are better with sports coats and buttondowns. Silk ties are better with suits.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads