1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Basic Fashion Do's and Don'ts

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jsinnola, Oct 9, 2006.

1. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

Hmmm, she's new. Last time I went to his site he had a 250 lb tinkerbell gal pal.

I'm sorry these aren't my greatest camera work, but it was too cute not to share!

[​IMG] too precious!!!

2. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Senior member

3. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

4. Girardian

Girardian Senior member

- No watches worn outside the cuff
    Unless you are Salvatore Parisi in which case you can wear your watch on top of your cuff...

5. Girardian

Girardian Senior member

Dos and don'ts are subject to personal style ... some 'exceptions' to the rules will never work, but others work well for individuals.

I, for one, have worn FC shirts without a jacket for years. This means, of course, I also wear them without ties. That makes sense, considering I was wearing FC shirts with jeans in my 20s when this was unheard of.

Was this a "don't"? Perhaps. Nonetheless, my point is that within the confines of my personal style these fashion 'don'ts' became 'dos' and worked very well.

Some don'ts will never transcend, while most dos will work well for anyone. You must be mindful moving in one direction, while the other requires less caution.

6. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan Senior member

Absolutely. I do think it is best to start with the rules and then gradually see which ones you can get away with flouting, based on your own style/bearing/physique, etc. I attend a southern law school and most of my fellow students are 4-5 years younger than me. They are almost all still stuck in the beginning stages - black/navy suit, white shirt, solid tie mode, black shoes. Most of them look foolish if they do "break the rules". Nothing wrong with that, it's safe and conservative. I do encourage my friends to try to break out of that mold, though.

(It sucks that at age thirty, I already see that "youth is wasted on the young")

7. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

8. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Senior member

Make sure your tie is tied so the bottom tip of is touching the belt buckle, if it hangs above the belt you will look like Gomer Pyle.

Never tie a Full Windsor Knot unless you have a wide spread collar, and never EVER tie one with a button-down shirt.

Don't do an exact match of the pocket square to the tie. (Remember, they sell matching tie/ pocket square sets at Sears, but not Brooks Bros!)

If there is a label on the cuff of the suit coat CUT IT OFF before going out in public (you would not believe how many guys I have seen with the label intact).

9. Tibo

Tibo Senior member

If there is a label on the cuff of the suit coat CUT IT OFF before going out in public (you would not believe how many guys I have seen with the label intact).

Good point, unbearable thing indeed.