1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Basic Fashion Do's and Don'ts

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jsinnola, Oct 9, 2006.

1. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

Never wear a polo with a suit. Fullstop.

And..

Never ever buy a black double-breasted suit from a thrift shop. Or borrow one from your Dad

It looks horrible and cheap.

What if you find a Black db Kiton at a thrift shop?

2. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Senior member

Never wear a polo with a suit. Fullstop.

And..

Never ever buy a black double-breasted suit from a thrift shop. Or borrow one from your Dad

It looks horrible and cheap.

I dont think there's anything inherently wrong with wearing a polo shirt with a suit. I admit it's far mor right after hours than it is "on the clock" But there are some industries where it pays to dress this way and it is detrimental to wear a tie, I mean if you want to get on. I admit that a washed out cheap polo shirt is a bad choice and an expensively made (good construction, hand finishing) one in a high count cotton, merino wool or even cashmere is a better choice. Make sure the collar is large and substantial enough to stay under your jacket collar.

Additionally, this is a look with a tradition, it isnt "just" contemporary.

This might be of interest to you:

http://www.filmnoirbuff.com/article/...-casual-attire

And as texas-jack said, what if the DB black suit is custom or from a sumptuous ready to wear manufacturer?

3. Tibo

Tibo Senior member

3. If you are wearing a suit, your entire outfit sholud be geared towards this fact. Every time I see a man in a suit with an Adidas sports bag, bright red skiing gloves and a Nike windbreaker he just looks very uncomfortable and ashamed in his suit. He isn't wearing a suit, he's forced to wear one by his wife/job/mother and looks like a child whose mother decked him out in a sailors outfit. Wear a coat, leather gloves and a briefcase or smart leather or canvas bag. This way you chose your own outfit and you can wear it like a whole, looking relaxed and confident.

Excellent advice. I feel ashamed or uncomfortable each time I see a man wearing a decent suit and complementing it with one of those otherwise perfectly acceptable windbreakers.

4. Ramses

Ramses Senior member

Versace Silk Shirts are beautiful-wear them.

5. Mentos

Mentos Senior member

I disagree about the french cuffs without a suit. Some of us always buy french cuffs and its not practical to wear a coat in every office settings.

I think that the rule would be more correctly stated as no french cuffs without a tie. This rule is made to be broken, but it represents the general idea that french cuffs are more formal than barrel (at least in the US). If you're careful you can pull it off with a blazer and odd pants. My chosen means of breaking it while acknowledging the effect of the french cuff is to use silk knots when not wearing a tie--this brings down the formality of the total effect at least a little bit.

You should never wear a jacket in the office, with or without french cuffs. Only freaks do that, unless the heating is out of service.

6. Film Noir Buff

Versace Silk Shirts are beautiful-wear them.

I agree

7. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

8. Aus_MD

Aus_MD Senior member

I have been searching online and have been hoping to find a basic fashion do and don't list for men. Things like what patterns can be mixed with suits, shirts, ties, etc...

How colors work together and the like.

Any suggestions?

Dont spotting has pictures.

[​IMG]

9. Film Noir Buff

Dont spotting has pictures.

[​IMG]

OMG, I forgot that about a week ago one morning at my train station I say this older dude, like 5'4" long grey thinning hair and a beard in a wool mini skirt!

I admit it was morning but no one seemed to even notice, his legs were hairy too...

10. Newton

Newton Senior member

I dont think there's anything inherently wrong with wearing a polo shirt with a suit. I admit it's far mor right after hours than it is "on the clock" But there are some industries where it pays to dress this way and it is detrimental to wear a tie, I mean if you want to get on. I admit that a washed out cheap polo shirt is a bad choice and an expensively made (good construction, hand finishing) one in a high count cotton, merino wool or even cashmere is a better choice. Make sure the collar is large and substantial enough to stay under your jacket collar.

Additionally, this is a look with a tradition, it isnt "just" contemporary.

This might be of interest to you:

http://www.filmnoirbuff.com/article/...-casual-attire

And as texas-jack said, what if the DB black suit is custom or from a sumptuous ready to wear manufacturer?

Regarding the polos, I just don't like it with a suit! Maybe (maybe) with a blazer and odd pants. Just no suit.

Regarding the thrift suit, if you miraculously run into an extraodinary suit in great condition, then maybe.. But I haven't had any luck in this department!

You might find a KB, Oxxford, whatever your go is.. But faded black suits from thrift shops (and they are invariably faded) just look bad. No brand will save you from it.

On the other hand, I have seen many, many thrift black DB's (including this forum) and it just screams CHEAP or MY DAD (for those younger members [​IMG] .)

11. Film Noir Buff

Regarding the polos, I just don't like it with a suit! Maybe (maybe) with a blazer and odd pants. Just no suit.

OK

But faded black suits from thrift shops (and they are invariably faded) just look bad. No brand will save you from it.

I hadnt considered that actually. Never have bought a suit at a thrift store and fading is one of those unforeseeable contingencies. No one wants a faded suit though, yuck.

12. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red Senior member

Polka-dot hot pants man has another picture guaranteed to keep you awake with nightmares.

[​IMG]

Isn't he old enough to know better?

13. Film Noir Buff

Polka-dot hot pants man has another picture guaranteed to keep you awake with nightmares.

[​IMG]

Isn't he old enough to know better?

Youd think hed wear a solid!

I was just about to ask how this guy avoids getting roughed up but then i remembered that this other one lives in rural Florida and hasnt been knocked off by the locals yet. You want to talk about nightmares? I was shown this website three years ago and still havent recovered.

http://www.pixyland.org/peterpan/

To save time, this is his fashion page:

http://www.pixyland.org/peterpan/petersFashionPage.html

14. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red Senior member

Damn you Buff!

[​IMG]

At least his goth friend salvaged my night's sleep.

15. Film Noir Buff

Damn you Buff!

[​IMG]

At least his goth friend salvaged my night's sleep.

Hmmm, she's new. Last time I went to his site he had a 250 lb tinkerbell gal pal.

16. aportnoy

aportnoy Senior member Dubiously Honored

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

With the scarf print ties, whenever possible.[​IMG]

17. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

With the scarf print ties, whenever possible.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Senior member

Does that Versace shirt come with its own batteries or are they extra?

[​IMG]

19. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

I think that the rule would be more correctly stated as no french cuffs without a tie. (...)

You should never wear a jacket in the office, with or without french cuffs. Only freaks do that, unless the heating is out of service.

I only use silk knots for my FC's. I do however, wear FC's without tie all the time, but do wear with jacket, which I do wear in the office for unpleasant meetings and negotiations (avec or sans tie).

I wear FC's with jeans and (sometimes) jacket on Fridays, depending on mood / weather / expected workload and meetings.

There is no one at my office with a rulebook to issue style citations, and frankly, if I can look in the mirror and smile and not feel like I've tried too hard to make things work, then I'm adequately (maybe even properly) dressed.

20. Film Noir Buff

[​IMG]

Not one of their better ones, all that yellow, probably why you got it on ebay. I have one in black and royal blue colors which I think is much nicer. Still, I suppose you could still wear that if you were stuck with it. As long as the buttons were not plastic.[​IMG]