1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Basic Fashion Do's and Don'ts

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jsinnola, Oct 9, 2006.

1. Ivan Kipling

Ivan Kipling Senior member

When in doubt. Wear black.[​IMG]

2. VMan

VMan Senior member

4. Keep the shirt lighter than than the suit or suffer the Borat, never striped shirt with striped suit, if you mix patterns use one big and one small. Alan Flusser has a good run-through of these.

I actually think a striped shirt with a striped suit can look very nice. You have to be sure that the stripes don't match, though, and stick with a solid tie.

3. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

I actually think a striped shirt with a striped suit can look very nice. You have to be sure that the stripes don't match, though, and stick with a solid tie.

I think striped tie and striped suit with semi matching patterns can be cool. I saw a look like that in the movie "In Good Company" that looked pretty cool, actually.

4. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Senior member

Quite a bit of truth there. Lots of great dress in those films.

5. Liberty Ship

Liberty Ship Senior member

...and monograms, too.

Basically, no "legible" clothing.

6. twblalock

twblalock Active Member

I didn't see this yet, so I'll post it here:

Men need to stop wearing their pants too long. This is NOT HARD. Hemming is cheap.

7. VooDooATL

VooDooATL Active Member

I disagree about the french cuffs without a suit. Some of us always buy french cuffs and its not practical to wear a coat in every office settings.

I also disagree about the loafers and suits, good shoes are good shoes that is much more important then the style. You will find that MANY members of this forum are just looking for a reason to buy more shoes.

8. javyn

javyn Senior member

i have to second that. i hate the full break. way too long

9. Rolo

Rolo Senior member

The most important rule to remember is that there are always exceptions to the rules (except this one).

10. designprofessor

designprofessor Senior member

I think you have to be carefull with flat front pants.
    They are unforgiving to some body types, and they can
    bring the whole outfit down. And good shoes won't rescue
    it.

11. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

Not sure these are technically Rules, but how about:

- No sports watches with suits
    - No watches worn outside the cuff

12. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

Some traditionalists frown on wearing sports watches with suits, but I don't think it was ever really a rule. Personally I'll wear whichever style of watches I'm in the mood for, although I'll try to match the face color to my ensemble in the case of a metal watch, and of course the strap color for a dress watch.

13. clownmitts

clownmitts Active Member

My opinion, and by no means is it definitive, is that dressing well is a balance between individual tastes and social context. Meaning that you're always trying to find a middle ground between personal whimsy and conformity.
    Sometimes it is best to dress in a way that doesn't draw attention to one's self out of decorum or courtesy, other times it simply doesn't matter what other people think.
    Therefore the trick to dressing well is understanding when it's appropriate to let yourself go with your personal taste and when you should play it safe and fit in.

14. clownmitts

clownmitts Active Member

Not sure these are technically Rules, but how about:

- No sports watches with suits

Personally speaking, I'm impressed whenever I see a well dressed person with an inconspicuous sports watch on. To me it says that they value utility.

15. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Senior member

Keep reading the forums. Post some pictures of your outfits. Develop your own personal style.

16. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

thou shalt not believe what giorgio, miucci, louie, salvatore, tom, thom, hedi, and even ralph as what thy should wear.

17. Aureus

Aureus Senior member

No french cuffs without jacket
    Match watch metal with belt buckle and cufflinks

Bollocks to both of those; French cuffs can be perfectly fine without a jacket of any kind. The second is just far to impractical. That would require at least two different wedding rings. At least 2 or 3 belts per color in order to get an adequate number of differnt buckles. Any number of dress and sports watches... And what do you do when you have a horror of horrors, two-tone anything?

Bollocks, monochrome can be a nice look. Assuming they match in color, not shade.

18. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red Senior member

Sartorial rules generally have reasons for existing, whether aesthetic or practical. Then there are the social shibboleths and anachronisms.

Aesthetic rule: Make sure everything fits well and the colors don't clash. This requires some basic sense and assumes that you even care how you look in the first place. Some people don't.

Practical rule: Shirt cuffs should extend slightly beyond the suit jacket cuff. This ensures that your jacket cuffs don't get grimy with dirt from your bare wrist. You're going to launder your shirts far more often than you're going to get your jackets dry cleaned.

Social shibboleth: Visible logos, conspicuously chunky sports watches, and self-consciously fashion-forward clothes tell the world you're a peasant who's trying very hard to convince everybody you're "classy." To the sartorially knowledgeable, these things scream "insecurity."

Anachronism: The rule about not wearing a wrist watch with formal wear dates from the time the well-heeled used pocket watches. Pocket watches are now largely considered an affectation. If you can use a pocket watch without coming off as affected, you've honed your style to the point that you don't need to be asking about the rules on Style Forum.

19. Ramses

Ramses Senior member

Always wear alligator, croc, lizard, or stingray skins. Wear bright bold colors no matter the season. Style and profile and walk the aisle. Be FLAMBOYANT IT IS THE BEST CHOICE YOU WILL EVER MAKE.

[​IMG]

20. Newton

Newton Senior member

Never wear a polo with a suit. Fullstop.

And..

Never ever buy a black double-breasted suit from a thrift shop. Or borrow one from your Dad

It looks horrible and cheap.