1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Basic Fashion Do's and Don'ts

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jsinnola, Oct 9, 2006.

1. jsinnola

jsinnola New Member

I have been searching online and have been hoping to find a basic fashion do and don't list for men. Things like what patterns can be mixed with suits, shirts, ties, etc...

How colors work together and the like.

Any suggestions?

2. Britalian

Britalian Well-Known Member

I have been searching online and have been hoping to find a basic fashion do and don't list for men. Things like what patterns can be mixed with suits, shirts, ties, etc...

How colors work together and the like.

Any suggestions?

AAAC

3. Etienne

Etienne Well-Known Member

We could always compile our own.

I'll start: no black suits in a business setting.

4. trogdor

trogdor Well-Known Member

Fashion Dos and Don'ts: Do whatever GQ tells you. Style Dos and Don'ts: Do hang around here for a bit.

5. AlanC

AlanC Well-Known Member

We could always compile our own.

I'll start: no black suits in a business setting.

[​IMG]

6. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Well-Known Member

Rule #1: Ignore GQ and Esquire and their trendy ideas. Instead go out and buy a book by Flusser and Boyer and get the real scoop.

Rule #2: Build a wardrobe of classic styles that will last many seasons. It's a better return on investment and you will look better for a longer span of time.

Rule #3: Buy dark brown shoes instead of black. They are more versatile.

7. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan Well-Known Member

No button down collars with suits
    Never ever button the bottom button
    No french cuffs without jacket
    Match watch metal with belt buckle and cufflinksMatch watchband, belt, and shoes
    Generally speaking, two solids and one pattern per outfit
    Never ever ever button the top button of any shirt without a tie.
    Don't match shirt to tie or shirt to suit
    Never pay retail
    Converselt, in clothing, you generally get what you pay for - quality shows

8. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Well-Known Member

Absolutely no visible logos.

9. cpac

cpac Well-Known Member

fit is far more important than any other detail (i.e. better a $299 suit that fits, than a $2000 one that doesn't).

10. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Well-Known Member

Good one. [​IMG]

11. pejsek

pejsek Well-Known Member

As long as we define logo narrowly. The cut of a particular tailor, the stripe on a T&A shirt, Borrelli buttons, the hand-rolled hem of a Kiton shirt. The list could go on for a long time. All of these things are status symbols and to those with the proper knowledge give things away as well as any Burberry check.

12. maverick

maverick Well-Known Member

...and monograms, too.

13. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    ...and monograms, too.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

14. willi

willi New Member

I see, the basics are mostly covered... Let me add some:
    Mind matching colors.
    No white Socks.
    No Loafers or sneakers to a suit.
    No short raincoats on top of a longer jacket.
    No tank top shining through a shirt.
    No silly ties unless you are in marketing or it is carnival.

And, most important of them all:
    No imperatives with regard to fashion [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Willi

15. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

No button down collars with suits
    I like a BD with a suit from time to time.

True of many things, but not all. 6x1 DBs? Formal vests?

I would agree with this.

Impractical. Are guys supposed to have two wedding rings?

Ah, the Mortimer Levitt rule: "Two plains and a fancy." Don't like it myself. I often mix two patterns, and sometimes even three.

This nearly always, but not always always, looks bad. John Mark Carr may be the freshest icon for this style, but JFK did it well, as have a few others. Polos and knits only, I think. I certainly can't imagine it looking good with dress shirtings.

Match? Heavens no!

Impossible to follow for those who like custom clothes.

16. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

Unless it's stencilled on your forehead.

17. LabelKing

LabelKing Well-Known Member

I think that in specific circumstances--unless worn by certain types of Russians--a so big it's politically incorrect logo worn to effect can be compelling. For example, the Versace Medusa in gold; it's almost fabulous. It's perfectly exemplary of Versace versus say, Armani, and their battle of taste.

18. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

Impractical. Are guys supposed to have two wedding rings?

One for each port, right?

19. heavyd

heavyd Well-Known Member

watch all the cary grat films you can... then watch them again... then watch all the connery james bond films.... then just do and say and wear everyhting like they did.

those are the rules.

20. The Swede

The Swede Well-Known Member

I'd say a general one is the old "wear your clothes; don't let your clothes wear you". This goes beyond looking comfortable; it also means that your clothes should help bring out your personality and not look affected or fake. This is, of course, something difficult to fix if you can't see the problem yourself so I'll move on to some more tangible rules of dress.

1. Always wear good shoes, you can get away (barely) with a lot of ugly, ill-fitting pieces of clothing as long as your shoes are beautiful and, above all, well-taken care of. There is no escaping the ugly shoe.

2. If you are in a city you really don't need gigantic clunky rubber soles on your shoes. This is hands down the most commonly occuring fashion faux pas here in Sweden. Young businessmen in expensive suits with hideous clunky shoes made in that shiny plastic-leather material. Don't ask me why, some might say something about the weather here but the problem remains in the summers.

3. If you are wearing a suit, your entire outfit sholud be geared towards this fact. Every time I see a man in a suit with an Adidas sports bag, bright red skiing gloves and a Nike windbreaker he just looks very uncomfortable and ashamed in his suit. He isn't wearing a suit, he's forced to wear one by his wife/job/mother and looks like a child whose mother decked him out in a sailors outfit. Wear a coat, leather gloves and a briefcase or smart leather or canvas bag. This way you chose your own outfit and you can wear it like a whole, looking relaxed and confident.

4. Keep the shirt lighter than than the suit or suffer the Borat, never striped shirt with striped suit, if you mix patterns use one big and one small. Alan Flusser has a good run-through of these.

5. The fit, of course, is paramount but the materials play a deciding role as well. This doesn't have anything (or very little) to do with price. It just comes down to knowledge and experience. FEEL the fabric of the clothes you are looking at. I sometimes get looks because I'm constantly groping the shirts, trousers and coats like some kind of deranged blind man but after a while you get a feel for the clothes. You'll soon recognize if a certain wool feels nice and durable or if it will age quickly. The sensation of a shirts cotton will tell you how it will fare after 20 washes. It's not that difficult, just something you get a hang of after a few tries. And as I said, you'd be surprised how seldom the price tells you what your fingers do.

6. Nobody wants to see your hairy leg sticking out when your pants ride up. Use long socks of good quality that completely cover all skin in risk of being revealed.

7. No sunglasses inside. Ever. If you don't need them for the comfort of your eyes, take them off. If you believe you can bypass this rule by wearing "cafÃ[​IMG] glasses" or whatever they're called, the semi-tinted blue, red or green ones, then... suit yourself.