• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

basic and affordable stereo system

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by antirabbit
There is for sure a difference in insturment amps between tube and solid state, especially something with they harmonic density and complexity like a violin.
Perhaps not in home audio, so my bad.

I could care less about how it looks, I want it to be un fussy and easy to use.
I agree on the kef speakers, I have always loved them.

It would be useful if I could ask a few questions:

1. What size & shape is the room you will listen to the stereo in?

2. Is there value in having some multi-channel or video capabilities like HDMI or Blu-Ray?

3. How pretty do the speakers have to be for your significant other?

unpainted huffheinz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since you are in the area I have a pair of Tannoy PBM8s that could be ready for a new home...

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by unpainted huffheinz
Since you are in the area I have a pair of Tannoy PBM8s that could be ready for a new home...

pm a price?

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
It would be useful if I could ask a few questions:

1. What size & shape is the room you will listen to the stereo in?

Basically a rectangle, with wood floors and a vaulted ceiling, a bout 25 ft long and 20 ft wide. A living room that will not have a television.

2. Is there value in having some multi-channel or video capabilities like HDMI or Blu-Ray?

Nope.

3. How pretty do the speakers have to be for your significant other?

I can sell her on ugly on the merit of sound quality. Maggies may not be in my future, but if they look like speakers and I make some elaborate rational, they could be modern art masterpiece ugly.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I can sell her on ugly on the merit of sound quality. Maggies may not be in my future, but if they look like speakers and I make some elaborate rational, they could be modern art masterpiece ugly.

The smaller Maggies are actually a bit cute and reasonable sized unlike the room panels of the larger ones. They do need room to breath, couple or three feet around ideally, which is why I asked about the room size.

As a musician you will appreciate the Maggies adherence to good tonality particularly on vocal, strings and more specifically guitars.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I liked the NAD sound too and were my choice for my budget 'audiophile' systems from my student days, having a 3020E and then added a 3240PE, with the advantage of having reasonable integrated phono stages. I recently traded all my old stuff in for a run of the mill HK/ China valve amp and a moth phono stage. I *think* it sounds warmer, cleaner and to me better.

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
As a musician you will appreciate the Maggies adherence to good tonality particularly on vocal, strings and more specifically guitars.

Not to be churlish, but, 'tonality' refers to key in music and many times is used incorrectly by many audiophiles and writers in relation to the 'timbre' of instruments. But, you are correct about the Maggies.

mrgoodeals

Reaction score
You could probably get a used bose acoustimass home audio system for around $700. My experience with bose has always been good

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^

'No highs, no lows, must be Bose'.

smile.gif

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So an NAD reciever is a better option to go with?

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
So an NAD reciever is a better option to go with?

I think so based on what we know so far. They make good stuff.

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A reciever over an integrated amp is better?
There are some great NAD deals on E-bay.
I am pretty sold on Kef, unless someone can recomend a better option.
I guess we then get a fantastic CD player and off we go!

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
A reciever over an integrated amp is better?
There are some great NAD deals on E-bay.
I am pretty sold on Kef, unless someone can recomend a better option.
I guess we then get a fantastic CD player and off we go!

I'm sorry I though we were talking integrated. That is what you want in this price range. Better sound for the dollar.

I'm not a big Kef fan to be honest..Look also at the Usher small speakers. High value for dollar.

I also like B&W 685s but that stretches the budget. PSB is another brand to look closely at - their tower speakers are terrific but may stretch your budget but the smaller ones are also terrific and would work in the price range.

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How is the Music Hall Trio Reciever?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads