1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Baseball playoffs

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by esquire., Oct 7, 2004.

1. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

Boston has drawn first blood, scoring twice in the bottom of the first inning to lead 2-0 in Game 5.

GO RED SOX.

2. christian

christian Senior member

Here's the dirty little secret as to why the Red Sox will always lose, but which nobody will admit:

Boston is not a good sports town, with no real hardcore sports fans. Look at the Red Sox. What does that tell you about their fans when you can take them out of the game after only scoring a few runs in the first inning. And, in that ugly game 3, how many left by the 6th and 7th inning. Geez, who do they think they are- Dodger fans who come to the game late and leave early.

And, all the love for the patriots is just superficial. Once the patriots become just another mediocre team, they'll be no more love. Compare this to the Jets, who sucked for decades. And, yet, the fans would still come to yell how much the Jets sucked.

3. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

I came across an interesting tidbit today. http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports....3.story While it doesn't make me like the Yankees any more, it brings to light that Steinbrenner does return the profits of the franchise into the team he puts onto the field, which is something I would love to see a lot more--OK, even just a little bit of--on the South Side.

4. Ambulance Chaser

That's an interesting theory, but I don't think Fenway's dimensions are any more distinctive than, say, Yankee Stadium's, which includes a short right-field porch designed for lefty sluggers ( e.g., Babe Ruth, Reggie Jackson, Jason Giambi) and righties who like to hit the ball to the opposite field (e.g., Derek Jeter). Â Boston's lack of success in the post-season is attributable to bad luck, choking, and poor managerial decisions. On a side note, it was great to see Boston playing NL-style small ball last night. Â Who would have thought of sending David Ortiz to try to steal second base?

5. PeterMetro

PeterMetro Senior member

Agreed.  

That's ridiculous talk, especially coming from a Yankees' "fan".  Sure, there are some true fans out there, but are you one of them?  Most Yankees fans I know, and I know a lot, started rooting for them around 1996.  Yeah, I'm prepared for your "I loved the Yankees in the 80s with Don Mattingly".  But who can really believe that?

And if you listen to professional athletes talk about playing in Boston - either for our teams or visiting teams - they acknowledge that the fans are among the most knowledgable in sports.

My last point is that I've seen many many games at both Fenway and Yankee Stadium.  The major difference is that the Sox fans cheer spontaneously and with creativity (see last night's Sheffield cheer: Who's Your Deal-er?).  Yankees fans cheer what the newspaper tells them to when the scoreboard tells them to.  20% true baseball fans, 80% corporate humps and hangers-on.

6. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

All this yankees/sox partisanship, can't we all just get along?

David Ortiz stealing second is among the funniest things I've ever seen. He is the man, I apologize for ever calling him "this year's mo vaughan."

No one's mentioned the umps' horrific calls that pretty much all went the yanks' way.

I hate Gary Sheffield.

Go Sox. And Astros. In lieu of my Phils. Word to the Red Sox, Terry Francona was not the managerial answer you guys needed.

I'm all over the place today.

7. christian

christian Senior member

Yes, everyone wants to be win. That's why Roger Clemens and Wade Boggs joined the Yankees, to win the championship which eluded them in Boston. Too bad, Ted Williams never joined the Yankees either to finally win a world series.

8. PeterMetro

PeterMetro Senior member

No no - CTGuy, he's proving our point. He's right really, everyone wants to be with a winner. It's why there are Yankees fans. True fans, however, are loyal to their team even when they lose. That's something that can't be said for Yankees fans.

9. christian

christian Senior member

What can I say. Its hard to be loyal to a losing team because the Yankees have dominated baseball the last 10 years. But, it seems like its been forever since they've won it all. I understand the pain all the Redsox fans are going through.

10. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

I have to disagree with the assertion that Boston isn't a good sports town... I went to school there during the beginning of the Bledsoe era (and NE sucked) and Foxboro was still full for every game. I remember Curtis Martin as a rookie, and no matter where you were in Boston, people would be talking about the O-line or Martin's cuts, etc... if they weren't talking about the Sox, or the Celtics, or the Bruins... I actually can't believe I heard someone say that Boston isn't a good sports town... come to Southern California if you want to see fair weather fans...

11. esquire.

esquire. Senior member

CTGuy,

Can you explain the genesis of your allegiance to the Redsox if you are from RI? If you're from NYC, you cheer those damn Yankees and if you're from MA you cheer for the Red Sox. But, how does it work if you live in New England? Is there some invisible Mason-Dixie line running through New England that separates those towns supporting the Red Sox vs. the Yankees?

12. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

I think a great deal of NE supports the Sox... probably most of CT perhaps excepting the areas immediately bordering NYC, but that is my mileage anyways. Pats probably draw fans from an even larger radius.

13. jcusey

jcusey Senior member Dubiously Honored

No, history was not made tonight. Despite the near-obsession of sports commentators with that word, virtually nothing that happens in sports is history. It's entertainment.

14. Ambulance Chaser

The line is around New Haven.  South and west is Yankees territory; north and east is Red Sox country.  Rhode Island clearly falls into the latter.

15. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

That was one of the funniest things ever. David Ortiz. It's like one of those martial arts movies when the hero pulls out a fighting style that everyone thought was just a myth.

I hope I get to eat my words tonight. Go Sox.

True. I mean, look at what is happening in the Sudan as we speak. Still, do you *need* to rain on the parade?

16. Steve B.

Steve B. Senior member

Wow- what a Series.

Best baseball I've seen played in a while...

And I'm glad it wasn't a sweep.

National League I want the Cards to win. Residual animosity toward Jeff Kent, being a Giants fan. But man it's fun to watch Beltran, Berkman, Backe, and Lidge. Maybe I just need to get over it and pretend Kent's not on the team.

17. christian

christian Senior member

Rod's Hand of God moment was pretty damn funny. HOF player, but not someone you want backing you up in a fight.

I'm willing to back up my talk. Any red sox fans want to place a friendly wager on tonight's game?

18. Leo Jay

Leo Jay Senior member

Can someone explain why Jeter had to go back to FIRST after the A-Rod interference play? If A-Rod's out, Jeter still advances to second. Is going back to first some kind of penalty for the interference?

Also, the previous night -- the popup bunt attempt that Posada caught. Would the Infield Fly Rule have applied to that, or should he have let it drop to get the double play?

19. Ambulance Chaser

The most embarrassing aspect of that incident is not that everyone now knows that A-Rod is a cheater, it's that everyone now knows that he slaps like a girl.  Seriously, he looked like a socialite trying to protect her Louis Vuitton handbag from a purse snatcher.

Granted, the outcome of the series between the Yankees and the Red Sox is not nearly as important as the situation in the Middle East, but to fans, it is much more than mere "entertainment."  At its very best -- and the 2004 ALCS certainly qualifies, regardless of what happens tonight -- sports is an encapsulation of the experience of life itself, with all of its triumphs and tragedies, highs and lows, all unfolding with glorious unpredictability in real time.  For that reason, sports can cause a grown man to act like a little kid, hug another man he has never met, and bawl his eyes out in celebration or mourning.  Show me a movie or concert that can do that.

20. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

Leo:

Interference results in the play not happening basically, runners cannot advance. Let's do an extreme example. Let's say instead of swatting the ball, A-rod ran out of the baseline and tackled Arroyo, and the ball was pinned under him, and he held him there until Jeter scored. Obviously this isn't fair to the opposing team whether or not the runner is called out for interference. My boss mentioned a case where Reggie Jackson did a similar move in the World Series.