• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Baseball gloves

JSport

Reaction score
I have stumbled on this website www.safglove.com. Their gloves are different and unique in many ways. I have bought one of their gloves and the quality is great, it fits well on my hand. And just recently they offered a limited edition glove that resembles US flag. Now that's different! Check it out at www.safglove.com/usaglove.html.

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For modestly priced ($85ish) it really is down to Wilson's A1000 and whatever is Rawlings comparable model, Gold Glove I believe... I distinctly recall one being far superior to the other (I think it was the rawlings, but I'm not certain), but it's been a few years, maybe QC has slipped even further.

Anything over, say $125, and it's really down to preference. I personally used an Akadema glove when I played in HS, but seriously, LS TPX, Rawlings Heart of the Hide, Wilson's A2000/2k, Nokona, Mizuno, it's all good at the higher price ranges.

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Renault78law
I believe 13" is the most versatile size.
Yeah................... If you play softball. 11.5-12" is standard and can be used for every position besides catcher (obvi) and first base... It'd probably be the most comfortable to play catch with too anyway. I played middle infield all my life and used 11.25"... the switch from 11.5" to 11.25" when I got to highschool was pretty dramatic actually and made playing toss harder for awhile, while anything bigger is too bulky.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Yeah, Rawlings is your best bet for something that is readily available and relatively cheap ($<50). Their "Heart of the Hide" series is good. Of course, like everything else, you can get a good Rawlings or Worth glove on ebay pretty cheap.

If, on the other hand, you are planning on becoming a dad that starts off playing catch with his son, and then signs him up for little league and then is forced to volunteer to coach his son's team because they don't have a coach for the team and if there is no coach there is no team and then, due to the fact that said dad played high school baseball and now wants to relieve his glory years through his 8 year old and who runs out and spends hundreds of dollars on professional equipment for said son and the team and then decides that if the team is going to be using quality equipment he, as coach, should also have top notch equipment then................

You should look at the following models which I own and love:

The Worth "Liberty" Series.
Anything from Nokona
There is a custom glove maker who made me a nice glove. Soto is the company name and I can find his site if you need it. You can obviously specify color, style, size etc.
TPX gloves (Louisville slugger) are what most pros use. Also a nice glove.

BTW, most gloves are made in Mexico. If you want something made in the USA or Japan, get ready to shell out a couple hundred.

While you are at it, get yourself a Mizuno maple bat made in Japan. The ball flies off that thing.

LOL

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use an oooold 13 incher for SS and 3rd in the corporate softball games

When I played 3rd in baseball I used a 12 inch Rawling which felt better when making back handers on shots up the line. I used the same glove when pitching because I didn't feel like having multiple gloves to break in and switch around etc.

One of my buddies who still plays ball swears by his 11.25 TPX, but he's a middle infielder.

Bear

Reaction score
Nakona all the way

You mean "Nokona?"

If you are going to endorse a product, at least spell it right! jk...

Nokona is a nice mit - but personally i prefer the Rawlings Gold Glove, Heart of the Hide

spedrunr

Reaction score
Hi, A little late to the dance here (2yrs). I've owned and sold over 1,000 gloves since 2004 and I have to say that there is a marked difference in quality from an X < $100 glove and X > $100. But after the day is done, they all seem to do the same thing but just feels better doing it (catching grounders, liners and pop-flies).

I've noticed that the top-o-the-line professional models from 1958- to 1998 seem to be made from luxurious leather that maintains it's shape, feel, and patina better than those that were made post-1998 (for Rawlings and post 1983 for Wilson).

Again, it's a matter of budget and preference. As with most things, you pretty much get what you pay for and there's a reason why manufacturers use different quality and price points.

I have a Rawlings pro-level glove that I bought in 1984 for $122 and I still have it and use it (albeit to only play a little catch with the kids). It fits me like a glove (pun intended) and the leather is in remarkable shape. I only used a light coat of conditioner in 1984 and I keep it stored in a moderate climate controlled environment.

There has been a huge collectible market for Made in USA Rawlings and Wilson baseball gloves as well as "game used" professional models.

Hit me up if you have any questions about gloves or if you have a collectible glove that was passed down from a family member and I might be able to tell you it's value etc.

Last edited:

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love this necro. I game a Mizuno that I got online for around $90 about eight years ago. Still a perfect glove without any conditioning whatsoever. Playing in rain and brutal heat like a champ.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads