• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bars/restaurants in Rochester

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have to be in Rochester twice in the next couple of months. What are the best places to eat and are there any cool lounges/bars?

Thanks

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Last edited:

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Last edited:

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
I don't have any suggestions for cool bars/lounges because there probably aren't any. I've been to Rochester a handful of times (mostly to visit House of Guitars, but that is neither here nor there), but never for the dining scene. I know there's a Dinosaur BBQ in Rochester, and there's a wine store in the plaza that also contains Guitar Center that has a surprisingly good selection, but not much beyond that. My uncle in law lives there so I can reach out for some suggestions. If you visit a Wegmans, which you will, pick up some Hoffman hot dogs as they are great. And be sure to visit the Finger Lakes not far away.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't have any suggestions for cool bars/lounges because there probably aren't any. I've been to Rochester a handful of times (mostly to visit House of Guitars, but that is neither here nor there), but never for the dining scene. I know there's a Dinosaur BBQ in Rochester, and there's a wine store in the plaza that also contains Guitar Center that has a surprisingly good selection, but not much beyond that. My uncle in law lives there so I can reach out for some suggestions. If you visit a Wegmans, which you will, pick up some Hoffman hot dogs as they are great. And be sure to visit the Finger Lakes not far away.

i am beside myself right now. i am having some serious white people problems at the moment.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
It's a shame that the general upstate region starting in the Bronx can't seem to put together any solid restaurants except for Stone Barns. The produce can be really solid and same goes with meat, but none of it really translates onto the plates until you get to the hippy towns like Ithaca. A shame, but I'm guessing you'll having nothing to look forward to and it'll be everything about America that you hate.

But FWIW, there are some genuinely great stuff at that wine store, especially domestically.

Last edited:

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Can't you just swing by some farm in the HRV and get fresh foei gras?

My sister lives in Rochester. If you want glatt kosher recs I will see what I an find out.

erictheobscure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
According to a friend who lives in Rochester: Good Luck for food, Solera/Cheshire (wine bar/cocktail bar combo, apparently) for drinks. I have no idea what her taste in food is like, but I know she's a champion drinker.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'm thinking Rochester's food scene features a Tuesday night special of Totino's across the board, with a bit of sea salt thrown at it.

DaveB

Reaction score
As someone who has had the great misfortune of living in Rochester my entire life there really isn't much to eat. Dinosauer BBQ and to a lesser extent Sticky Lips BBQ aren't fancy but what they do they do well. Garbage plates are a Rochester thing that I think would be worth checking out. Its just fast food but tastes good imo. I like Country Sweet Chicken and Ribs. They have a unique sauce and are pretty good at frying chicken wings/chickens. There's only one location left and the staff is pretty rough around the edges so I wouldn't go real late at night.

The Wegmans in Pittsford is a pretty impressive grocery store (given I live in Rochester and I am not well traveled) that I think would be worth a visit.

Most of the fine dining options aren't really worth the price. If your on an expense account you could check out Richardson's Canal House. The food is nothing special but the building has history and if the weathers nice you can eat outside by the erie canal. I've herd some good things about Warfields but I've never been. There a group of fine-dining restaurants all owned by the same guy called Max Chophouse/Eastman Place etc but Ive been disappointed in my visits. I recently had some good food at Good Luck but didn't like the concept. They bring the plates out as they are ready so you share them but they are sized like individual portions, doesn't make much sense/seems lazy to me.

Try as I might I can't think of one nice restaurant that I would unequivocally recommend. I really think your best bet would be checking out Dinosauer/Garbage Plates/Hoffmans Zweigles Hot Dogs, cheaper local favorites.

Don't know a ton about the bars. Downtown the east ave area with Murphy's Law is usually packed if your looking for a 18-25 year old girls.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have to be in Rochester myself in a week or two, wasn't looking forward to it, either.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads