• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Barry Bonds

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Barry Rules!

(From another avowed Giants fan)

And Jeff Kent was a MUCH bigger asshole when he was in the Giants' clubhouse.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Is/Will A-Rod be on steroids?
Some pretty good sources say he already was.

(Steve- from black helicopter)

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Barry Rules!

(From another avowed Giants fan)

And Jeff Kent was a MUCH bigger asshole when he was in the Giants' clubhouse.

+1. Jeff Kent was a redneck who hurt himself jerking around breaking team rules, lied about it and was an all around bad citizen. Barry Bonds may have been on steroids and is not a sweetheart, but he has always shown up and played.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
+1. Jeff Kent was a redneck who hurt himself jerking around breaking team rules, lied about it and was an all around bad citizen. Barry Bonds may have been on steroids and is not a sweetheart, but he has always shown up and played.

Jeff Kent and Kirk Gibson were two of the biggest tools to play the game.

Pete "Charlie Hustle" Rose did many things in his heyday that he was lauded for while current players are called dirty when they do the same (running over the catcher and taking out the second baseman on a DP are two examples).

Bonds used steroids, has a bad attitude and he's black. If he was white, people would still use the asterisk and taunt and boo him, but not to he same extent.

Brad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
...Pete "Charlie Hustle" Rose did many things in his heyday that he was lauded for while current players are called dirty when they do the same (running over the catcher and taking out the second baseman on a DP are two examples)...

It's my understanding that Fosse was in the wrong when Rose ran him over; the catcher cannot stand in the 3rd base line. Catchers are still bowled over and there is no rule prohibiting it. If you're not spatially aware enough to realize you're in the base line, then tough ****.
Players still try to break up the double play when sliding into second. I don't think either is especially dirty or repugnant to the game. Hollering at an infielder when he is concentrating on catching a pop-fly -- ala A Rod -- is bush league.

WSW

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brad
It's my understanding that Fosse was in the wrong when Rose ran him over; the catcher cannot stand in the 3rd base line. Catchers are still bowled over and there is no rule prohibiting it. If you're not spatially aware enough to realize you're in the base line, then tough ****.
Players still try to break up the double play when sliding into second. I don't think either is especially dirty or repugnant to the game. Hollering at an infielder when he is concentrating on catching a pop-fly -- ala A Rod -- is bush league.

I don't see why ARod hollering at the infielder is bush league. It's more a sign of the poor quality of the infielder to be distracted like that, especially in a major league environment where players get heckled all the time. It was good play on ARod's part, showing that he has spirit and wants to win.

coachvu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gorgekko
Why are you betting anything? Bonds admitted under oath to a grand jury that he used the cream and the clear. Case closed.

No one seems to remember this. I can't understand why people still debate whether or not he used steroids when he has already admitted to it.

Brad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by WSW
I don't see why ARod hollering at the infielder is bush league. It's more a sign of the poor quality of the infielder to be distracted like that, especially in a major league environment where players get heckled all the time. It was good play on ARod's part, showing that he has spirit and wants to win.

Dude, it's just bush league. Seeing as how you're in New York, you should remember the reaction his own teammates and skipper had after the game. Joe Torre said something like: A Rod and I had a talk, he realized it was lame as hell, and it will never happen again. Somethings are just unwritten rules, and from what I can understand, this is one of those things.
I don't think missing a ball because some asshole barks in your ear when you're trying to catch a ball says anything about the quality of the infielder. You have to remember, there are no ****** players in MLB. Some are not as good as others, that's for sure, but none are ******. Barking is distracting and that's why it's frowned upon and bush league.
If wanting to win (or break a home run record without regard to whether or not your TEAM wins), by itself, makes for good play, then Giambi, McGwire, Sosa, Bonds, and all the other DBs are my baseball idols.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Absolutely right. Not only would he have been HOF worthy, but I think that he would have been, to many minds, one of the top 5 players of all times when taking into account his speed, defense and incredible discipline. Now, although he will be the all-time HR leader, he will not enter into the same discussions of greatness, or at least not in the same way. Still, he is more than just a great baseball player, he is one of the greatest athletes we have seen in professional sports in a long time.

Absent the steroid blah blah which hasnt been proven and wasnt illegal for baseball at the time, Bonds is the greatest baseball player ever.

I dont know about the grand jury testimony by Bonds and no idea why anyone else does since it's supposed to be sealed and secret.

In any case, 755 is a big accomplishment, even if he has morphed into one of the most unlikeable figures in sports. I think the media gave him some very good shoves.

Brad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
Absent the steroid blah blah which hasnt been proven and wasnt illegal for baseball at the time, Bonds is the greatest baseball player ever...

You're joking, right?

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Bonds is a self-righteous denier of reality who has an insecurity chip on his shoulder the size of Mt. Rushmore.

Funny, methinks certain of his supporters here share the same character flaws.

Brad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
Nope

Wow. Is this just your personal preference, or are you really suggesting that some criteria could point to Bonds being the best/most important player in MLB history? If so, what are they?

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brad
Wow. Is this just your personal preference, or are you really suggesting that some criteria could point to Bonds being the best/most important player in MLB history? If so, what are they?

It isnt my personal preference at all.

The only other player that comes close to Bonds is Ruth (Im a diehard Yankees fan) and Ruth didnt cause as many shifts, didnt have as high an on base percentage and didnt hit as many homeruns. He did win a lot of rings but remember Ruth had talent on his teams and most of Barry's teams have been so-so. And Bonds has caused shifts and been walked intentionally in spite of mostly being surrounded by mediocre line ups.

I believe that even though Ruth hit during the so called pitcher's era, the batting averages are lower today than they were in Ruth's day.

Also Ruth played at a time when considerable African American talent was kept out of the majors. Although someone did liken him to one of those barred players which caused him to charge the stands at the fan!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads