• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Barrett Shoes for De Corato

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
On one bright, sunny morning in the future, SFers will wake up across the country and realize how ugly double monks are, there will then be a voidance of double monk shoes onto the internet tubes the likes of which has never been seen before. It reminds me of what the no longer SF poster voxsartoria (he is missed, I hope he is OK) once told me many years ago:

"Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus Latinis alacribus et fructuosis potiri potes"

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

On one bright, sunny morning in the future, SFers will wake up across the country and realize how ugly double monks are, there will then be a voidance of double monk shoes onto the internet tubes the likes of which has never been seen before. It reminds me of what the no longer SF poster voxsartoria (he is missed, I hope he is OK) once told me many years ago:
"Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus Latinis alacribus et fructuosis potiri potes"

+ 1
(As for the Latin, I have no idea. My classical education was interrupted by the Great War)

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Judging from the pics of this pair I'd guess GY. You can tell if they're Blaked or not by looking inside the shoe in the toe area. If you can see (or feel) stitches, they are Blaked or Bologna'd.

Last edited:

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

:)

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Are these GY welted or more likely Bologna or Blake Stitched? Saw a pair of double monks that I like. Thanks

Barrett Today

Barrett can boast almost a century in the business and is one of the oldest and most prestigious footwear manufacturers in Italy and abroad. Barrett is actually one of the few companies to produce completely handcrafted shoes using the finest materials and techniques. The company always has available for its production line a store of over 80 lasts and more than 3,500 styles, including both vintage and current collections, manufactured with traditional techniques: Norvegese, Blake-Rapid, Goodyear, loafer and, of course, the "slip-lasted Bolognese", which has pride of place in the catalogue, promising exceptional softness and flexibility. The slip-lasted Bolognese is now the unique heritage of a handful of companies because it is so complex to produce: the shoe is made off-last and lasted subsequently. To achieve this, the leather and model must fit absolutely perfectly. After about three weeks of lasting, an ultra soft leather insole is applied, followed by a hide sole.

To-date no construction technique in the history of classic, high-end footwear manufacturing has equalled the quality and refinement of this technique.

from the current website

Last edited:

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Barrett Today
Barrett can boast almost a century in the business and is one of the oldest and most prestigious footwear manufacturers in Italy and abroad. Barrett is actually one of the few companies to produce completely handcrafted shoes using the finest materials and techniques. The company always has available for its production line a store of over 80 lasts and more than 3,500 styles, including both vintage and current collections, manufactured with traditional techniques: Norvegese, Blake-Rapid, Goodyear, loafer and, of course, the "slip-lasted Bolognese", which has pride of place in the catalogue, promising exceptional softness and flexibility. The slip-lasted Bolognese is now the unique heritage of a handful of companies because it is so complex to produce: the shoe is made off-last and lasted subsequently. To achieve this, the leather and model must fit absolutely perfectly. After about three weeks of lasting, an ultra soft leather insole is applied, followed by a hide sole.
To-date no construction technique in the history of classic, high-end footwear manufacturing has equalled the quality and refinement of this technique.

from the current website

looks nice!

gyasih

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
looks nice!

I wish those were the ones I am looking at, but they are great, nonetheless. I spoke to the botique who told me none of the shoes at the sample sale are GY welted. They are most likely Blake, which I heard can be resoled. They won't be worn in the rain or snow, so I might go for it.

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Are these GY welted or more likely Bologna or Blake Stitched? Saw a pair of double monks that I like. Thanks

They are blake rapid. I picked up the British tan short wing derbies for myself. I prefer Italian makers for the summer.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads