1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Barney's warehouse sale

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Lomezz, Feb 9, 2004.

1. Lint Brush

Lint Brush Senior member

Stopped by the sale today as well--shoe selection was very much as Lomezz described, and I picked up some nice house label brown loafers for $89 (from $225). I tried on some Magli Platinum monk straps . . .but for $300 they needed to be much more comfortable.

Lomezz--that nice Kiton cord shirt is still there, as I couldn't rationalize it. Not much of interest in the suits (mainly Boss and house label)--did try on on a nice Isia, marked down to under $900 from $2300, but alas it didn't fit so well.

Some very nice Ruffo leather jackets, but they seem to be cut small. I found a very nice Barneys label tobacco-colored suede coat for $199 (from $650). An amusing aside--I tried it on in front of Carson of "Queer Eye" fame, who was shopping nearby. He adjusted my sleeves and thought it was a little big, but when I told him the price he said "why are we even having this conversation?" Nice guy.

2. norcaltransplant

norcaltransplant Senior member

Hit the penultimate day of the New York Sale.... pretty picked over selection. I found a couple of nice Kiton ties, but they were still $70. I would consider biting at $50. A fair selection of casual shirts remaining priced at around 75% off MSRP (some tasteful Zegna for $50). The shoes, if you found anything in your size, were an absolute steal...75% off as well. The aforementioned Bruno Magli Platinum monkstraps were knocked down all the way to $150 + tax. Even though I'm not Catholic, I decided to curb my spending for Lent. I settled for a pair of leather sandals in anticipation of spring... 30 bucks... cheaper than an Ambulance Chaser date (I thought lawyers were big money guys not ghetto-style grad students. Damn girl, I got you TWO hot dogs from Gray's Papaya).

3. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

Just to clarify: because most first dates do not lead to second dates (if more than half of them do, you need to set your standards higher), I generally limit a first date to lunch, which at a downtown D.C. establishment usually runs between $20 and $30.  If the date is going particularly well or the woman is someone I definitely want to see again (which I can generally tell within the first 5 minutes of the date), I am not averse to spending more; my last first date was in the neighborhood of $60 to $70 (dinner + bottle of wine + movie).

4. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

This can't be right, or you know about deals I don't. Let's say that you go to a relatively inexpensive retaurant, and don't have any appetizers, dessert or coffee. Two entrees is about $20 apiece, minimum including tip (x2=$40 total). Any given bottle of wine is going to cost at least $30, including tip. You're at $70 already. Movie tickets are at least $8 apiece (x2=$16). So that's $86, and you are still being pretty stingy. I think that a "full date" like that rounds out to at least $100 a shot. That's not including transportation, parking, and other incidentals.

5. vero_group

vero_group Senior member

Wow. Marriage is a lot cheaper...

6. Ambulance Chaser

my last first date was in the neighborhood of $60 to $70 (dinner + bottle of wine + movie).
    This can't be right, or you know about deals I don't. Â Let's say that you go to a relatively inexpensive retaurant, and don't have any appetizers, dessert or coffee. Â Two entrees is about $20 apiece, minimum including tip (x2=$40 total). Â Any given bottle of wine is going to cost at least $30, including tip. Â You're at $70 already. Â Movie tickets are at least $8 apiece (x2=$16). Â So that's $86, and you are still being pretty stingy. Â I think that a "full date" like that rounds out to at least $100 a shot. Â That's not including transportation, parking, and other incidentals.
    The "deal" I know about is to date slender women who don't eat a lot. Â We went to a pizzeria (a nice one with a wood-burning stove, not Pizza Hut) and split an appetizer and a small pizza. Â That totalled around $20. Â The bottle of wine added another $25 to $30, resulting in a a total bill of approximately $45 to $50. Â Two movie tickets (she paid for drinks) added another $18. Â That's how I arrived at my $60 to $70 figure. Â I forgot to add cab fare, which was $10 to $15, resulting in a total of $70 to $85.

7. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Wow, I *am* impressed, especially by your self-control. I would be all over that small pizza like a fat kid on fresh-baked cookies. She'd be lucky to get a slice, especially since I could easily make a sandwich from two slices and doublefist a third. I call foul. What you describe as a meal I call a snack before a meal. Also, since she paid for drinks, your date was subsidized.

Fair enough though - more power to you.

Truthfully though, I like a girl with a healthy appetite. Maybe I'm a primitive man, but there is something nice about a girl who isn't afraid to kick back a steak with the fixin's and wash it all down with a few beers. I have to say that I prefer athletic women to really skinny ones.

More to the original point, I received my boots today. Great bargain for $48.

8. Ambulance Chaser

Ironically, the woman was from L.A. -- maybe that's why you had to move. Â [​IMG] I too like a woman with a healthy appetite. Â My dream is to find one who can finish a 72 oz. steak in one sitting (and not just because the meal would be free). Â Unfortunately, I imagine such a woman would look more like Rosie O'Donnell than like Ashley Judd.