• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Barneys on the block.  discuss.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
The retailer currently has flagship stores in New York, Beverly Hills and Chicago, but sees the potential for other flagship sites in selected markets.

How can you keep adding 'flagship' stores and still call them 'flagship' stores? Isn't the point of a flagship that you only have one of them?

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
How can you keep adding 'flagship' stores and still call them 'flagship' stores? Isn't the point of a flagship that you only have one of them?
Linguistic incompetence aside (and it may be incompetence on the part of the writer rather than the Barney's executives), didn't Barney's try the store-in-every-city approach in the '80s and '90s and go bankrupt for their efforts?

itzamazing

Reaction score
The retailer currently has flagship stores in New York, Beverly Hills and Chicago, but sees the potential for other flagship sites in selected markets.
I see what you mean, but the term flagship(s) has taken on a new meaning. A flagship store can simply mean a location that carries the most extensive selection compared to its other stores in that same city. For instance, Banana Republic has its NYC flagship (Rockefeller Center), it's LA flagship (3rd st/Santa Monica, San Fran flagship (Grant Ave) and Chicago (North Michigan Ave). It usually means that every single possible item that the store carries is found there. Another example would be Macys, with its Herald Square store in NYC being its East Coast flagship and its Union Square store in San Fran being its West Coast flagship. Bloomingdale's flagship is in NYC, but when the new San Fran store is completed, it will be called the West Coast flagship. Barney's has several store locations, but only its NYC, LA & Chicago stores would be considered flagships. The selecton at the other locations pales in comparsion to these three. Hope this makes some type of sense.

itzamazing

Reaction score
As for Barneys expanding into other markets, I am not too sure if this is wise.

Where else does Barney's really need to expand to? Is it wise to have flagship stores in Atlanta or Dallas? I don't think so, but I am no retail expert. A lot of people do travel to NYC just for Barneys though.

I could see them coming to San Fran, but overexpansion is kind of why they got into trouble to begin with as someone else in the thread stated. They cater to a niche market and I don't think every single city can support a Barneys. I remember they used to have a store downtown at the World Financial Center here in NYC which closed due to poor performance. Their Boston store does not carry men's merchandise. To me, it seems they have stablized somewhat and are at a good size now.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by itzamazing:
....San Fran...
X2..... San Francisco.
biggrin.gif
I learned not to call it anything but (like San Fran, or even worse; Frisco) by the locals during my university days at CAL.

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I for one was mildly annoyed when Barney's removed the mens stuff from it's Boston (Chestnut Hill) store. Wouldn't mind seeing a real (decent sized) Barney's downtown.

HRHAndrew

Reaction score
I think we should all pool our money and buy Barney's. I will pledge $400 and not buy the latest pair of shoes I have my eyes on. Anyone else in?

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's as if the writer just wanted to work the word "flagship" in there.
biggrin.gif
We used to have a Barney's in Detroit (along with an annual warehouse sale), and I was told that it tended to have the second or third highest net sales per sq. ft. of any other Barney's locations, yet they closed it down.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I learned not to call it anything but (like San Fran, or even worse; Frisco) by the locals during my university days at CAL.
Yes, they do get upset about that
smile.gif
Doesn't keep me from using the nicks though
devil.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads