• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Barneys NY Ties

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Does anyone know who manufactures the Barneys house brand ties?

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I own several and would like to know too. I like a number of their patterns.

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Same here. But I only buy their hand-made ties, and @ $10-12 a pop they can't be beat.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The one I purchased says "Hand Made in Italy" on the label. This leads me to assume it's not Drakes...wouldn't they be made in England?

$4 on eBay.
smile.gif

21a_102.jpg

21a_106.jpg

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice tie Connemara. If it was Drakes, it would be marked handmade in England and there would the letters MD (for Michael Drake) on the small fabric tag (HB = Holliday & Brown).

Not sure who makes the Barneys ties. I hope it's not Piatelli like much of their other private label stuff.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
The one I purchased says "Hand Made in Italy" on the label. This leads me to assume it's not Drakes...wouldn't they be made in England?

It's funny that you mention this. First, I dont know if Drakes makes all of Barney's private label ties. More interesting, is that I understand Drakes makes Marinellas ties, or at least one line of them (I dont know all the different marinella programs) and that Drakes has a factory in Italy which is not named "Drakes". I really didnt want to toss a holy tie hand grenade into it but that's what the same above source told me.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Christofuh
Same here. But I only buy their hand-made ties, and @ $10-12 a pop they can't be beat.

Where are you getting them for this, eBay?

And speaking of bargains. Is that 3 for 66 lbs deal of TM Lewin ties for real? They are or were a club tie manufacturer par excellence at one time.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EL72
Nice tie Connemara. If it was Drakes, it would be marked handmade in England and there would the letters MD (for Michael Drake) on the small fabric tag (HB = Holliday & Brown).

CH = Charles Hill

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
CH = Charles Hill

Would the letters be on the reverse side? I'm unable to see them in the photo of the tag.

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film_Noir_Buff
Where are you getting them for this, eBay?

And speaking of bargains. Is that 3 for 66 lbs deal of TM Lewin ties for real? They are or were a club tie manufacturer par excellence at one time.

Filene's Base-Maunt

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film_Noir_Buff
It's funny that you mention this. First, I dont know if Drakes makes all of Barney's private label ties. More interesting, is that I understand Drakes makes Marinellas ties, or at least one line of them (I dont know all the different marinella programs) and that Drakes has a factory in Italy which is not named "Drakes". I really didnt want to toss a holy tie hand grenade into it but that's what the same above source told me.

Interestingly enough I have a Bergdorf's house tie that I would've sworn was made by Drakes had it not said Made in Italy.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Would the letters be on the reverse side? I'm unable to see them in the photo of the tag.
You'll find these only on a 'Made in England' tag that will be sewn into the narrow end of the tie about halfway up. I believe that Charles Hill for Barney's ties were actually labeled as "Charles Hill", however. I've got one around here somewhere, I think. Charles Hill, which apparently is the same entity as Turnbull & Asser ties, has made/makes for a number of English stores like Ede, and also for American stores like Bullock & Jones. I know that Drake's has made some for Burberry in the past, which may be indicated by an "MD" on the "Made in England" label, as mentioned above.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads